Friendliness

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Friendliness

Post by JeffB1959 »

Like nz, I openly and proudly wear skirts, dresses and heels (though not as much as I used to) in public and have been treated with nothing but respect from everyone around me. I’ve never been insulted, jeered, called names, none of that stuff, heck, I’ve been complimented for my appearance, everything from my clothes, shoes, handbags, even jewelry, bottom line, it’s all been good. I guess the public is open minded and accepting of men wearing women’s clothes in public, the key of course, is to dress tastefully and appropriately for whatever surroundings you happen to be in, and you’ll do just fine.
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

I received my first ever fist bump today.
That was from a young guy who was clearly fascinated by the way I was dressed and approved of my attitude in talking to him about it.
Certainly a damn sight more friendly than some of my own contemporaries,
Steve
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

by denimini » Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:29 am

One could conclude that everyone that gives dirty looks are not wearing a mask.
But not everyone without a mask gives a dirty look.
On the other face of it: Everyone NOT wearing a mask is giving a dirty look by the very virtue of not wearing one during a pandemic.

But, back to perceptions of MIS in the current era; like most others posting here, I've not had a problem with 'dirty' looks at any time -- occasionally puzzled ones, or surprise, but not 'dirty' in the sense of anger, distain, fear, or horror. Still mostly it is a non-topic/look matter though I agree with the comment that due to covid and social distancing we are looking at one another more now to assess traffic patterns, and occasionally that garners greater opportunity to observe the slight dissonance of noticing a man in a skirt.

BTW; Kilted John -- you don't have to 'go into' Costco these days -- curb side and home delivery are practical options. Even old luddite FG has managed a couple 'click and go' shopping stops!
KiltedintheValley

Post by KiltedintheValley »

I have been skirted or kilted on every outing (except one or two) since the beginning of this year. I struggle with self-confidence, but when I am wearing a skirt, I try to "own it". Wearing a skirt has done an amazing job building my self confidence! I only get the few odd looks and an occasional compliment. The last negative compliment I received (outside of my family) was 12 years ago when a Neanderthal told his son I must be gay because I was wearing a skirt (I had a gray kilt on).

I was in Costco this afternoon in the perfect fall outfit; a denim midi skirt, orange & gray flannel shirt, and Chuck Taylors. (Full disclosure: I have dreamed of wearing this exact outfit for over 20 years!) The few folks I noticed either didn't notice or didn't care what I was wearing. I could tell by the eyes of a few, they had a bit of admiration for my outfit!
"Be weird. Be random. Be who you are, because you never know who would love the person you hide." - Alan Watts

Life is too short to talk yourself out of wearing what you want because “I can’t pull off that look”.
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

A tale of two contrasting reactions

We went for an overnight trip at a bed and breakfast that is about two hours from our home. I wore my kaftans the entire time. The lady that owns the place was giving us a tour and just just randomly stopped what she was doing to tell my wife and I she thought more men should wear skirts. She said women wear what they want and men should too! She said it would take another lifetime to convince her husband, but she felt strongly that men in skirts looked nice. Fast forward to later at a state park.

We were entering a trail and encountered a party of four men and one woman. The lady was walking in front when she spotted me. She turned to face the men behind her. It became obvious that she was directing their attention to me, as they all stopped walking and looked up at me. I spoke to them which seemed to awaken them from their stupor. They spoke and then continued to walk. I thought it very interesting because if I had done the same to a woman it would have been considered offensive.
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

Hey, maybe she just wanted them all to see that, "yes, guys can wear skirts"! :)
webboy42

Post by webboy42 »

Hey all, long time, no see.

If people give me dirty looks, I can't see them. I've never had anyone even mention my skirts since I started wearing them unless I raised the subject, except for my mum's initial reaction. :P Honestly, I think a big part of my experience is that my white cane trumps my skirt wearing in terms of what people pay attention to in their interactions with me.
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

Faldaguy wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:19 am Hey, maybe she just wanted them all to see that, "yes, guys can wear skirts"! :)
I like that idea. It is very positive. Thank you