First outing in a while

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Re: First outing in a while

Post by Big and Bashful »

crfriend wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:01 pm
Big and Bashful wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:54 pmI really can't be ar**d figuring out how many pixels, then what quality, what colour depth, what star sign, what shoe size, what file format to use.
JPEG, default colour-depth, 800 pixels in the long dimension. Cropping &c only needs doing if you're interested in recomposing the thing.

In GiMP, I can do all of the above in about 30 seconds. It is not hard, arduous, or tedious. But then I'm an old-school bloke with darkroom experience -- and who misses working with film. If one cares about his imagery, one takes his time and gets it right.
I can't even remember what I used last time, Irfanview maybe, or is that just a viewer? Ah, Cyberlink photodirector was my tool last time, part of the suite I use for faffing about with videos.
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
Spirou003
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Spirou003 »

Or the easier way to do would be to have pictures resized automatically by the forum itself? :mrgreen:

(Just kidding, I don't know how difficult or not it could be to implement it here, actually I have a method which is fine for me and I use it everywhere, not only here ;) )
geron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by geron »

Big and Bashful wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:42 pm I can't even remember what I used last time, Irfanview maybe, or is that just a viewer? Ah, Cyberlink photodirector was my tool last time, part of the suite I use for faffing about with videos.
No, Irfanview is a very capable freeware image processing application, and it's what I use on my Windows PC for cropping and resizing. But it can do many other useful things quite easily.

For cropping and resizing mobile phone pictures (Android), I 'share' the file with the free app Photo Resizer HD, which is also quick and easy.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

I find it easy to use the free Irfanview. Can even add captions or labels if I want.
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

by Jim » Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:55 pm

I find it easy to use the free Irfanview. Can even add captions or labels if I want.
That one is still on my computer from the last round of suggestions, and for me all it resulted in was gouges in my scalp since I had no hair left to pull out. Everyone seems to claim it is "easy" with some familiar program, but either I am far less competent than the 99% or something is still amiss here in a simple way to post pictures. None of "easy" has come with pictures of the screens or steps -- and my screens seem to offer different views or options than those spoken of.
by geron » Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:38 am

Something to be aware of when posting photos is that digital images may include metadata identifying (via GPS, Galileo etc.) the exact location at which each picture was taken. If you don't want to disclose this, check the menus of your image editor to see whether it will let you delete or doctor the image's EXIF data. There's also a free Windows application called Metability QuickFix which can delete EXIF data very simply by drag-and-drop.
The warning about embedded location, date, info may be of significant concern to some -- thanks for adding that, though the means of tackling seems on the surface to be as geek as all of these other programs. When it is possible to simply include a link or to drag a photo into other applications, why are we up against pages of coded program to do the same here? For me, it is a rhetorical question as it is not worth more hours of frustration and I'll just settle for what is; but it seems a shame that more of us can't easily share pictures on the site.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

Faldaguy wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:13 am
by Jim » Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:55 pm

That one is still on my computer from the last round of suggestions, and for me all it resulted in was gouges in my scalp since I had no hair left to pull out.
With Irfanview here are the steps:
  • Open the picture; I make Irfanview my default picture viewer, so I just double-click on the file name of the picture.
  • CTR-R for Resize. (Hold down CTR key and push "R" key at the same time, not the Shift key)
  • Chose or enter the size you want. 800 x 600 pixels is a choice that is offered rather than entering numbers. I usually do this.
  • CTR-S to save. You will be directed to give the picture a name. I usually just append "s" for small to the original file name.
That's it.
Happy-N-Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Happy-N-Skirts »

I feel your pain. I can't figure out why people take a simple problem and make it so complicated that people like you and I get lost in it and can't find our way out. My wife is my savior on technical matters. She graduated college with straight A's and seems to be able to solve these things for me. Also; if you have any computer problems, just ask a sixth grader.
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rode_kater »

I use the gimp to crop and resize images, though honestly I can do that on my phone too.

The images themselves I put on imgur. They strip out all EXIF data for you so I can't screw that up accidentally. I made an account there so I make them hidden by default.
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

Jim wrote: With Irfanview here are the steps:
Open the picture; I make Irfanview my default picture viewer, so I just double-click on the file name of the picture.
CTR-R for Resize. (Hold down CTR key and push "R" key at the same time, not the Shift key)
Chose or enter the size you want. 800 x 600 pixels is a choice that is offered rather than entering numbers. I usually do this.
CTR-S to save. You will be directed to give the picture a name. I usually just append "s" for small to the original file name.
That's it.
OK, thank you Jim for a short course -- I'll give it another shot as I still have that program.
Pura vida,