what styles do you guys recommend?

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Covalence88

what styles do you guys recommend?

Post by Covalence88 »

i'm new to this whole thing, don't have a skirt of my own yet. i'd like to get one but there's so many different kinds that i don't know what to look for. see i'm only interested in the functionality of skirts, i don't really care about the fashion or looking feminine. i'm mostly looking for one that's cozy enough to wear around the house but also sturdy enough for wearing out. i also prefer one with pockets but it's not totally necessary. anyone have any good skirts you can recommend?
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Re: what styles do you guys recommend?

Post by denimini »

Welcome Covalence88.
It is a good idea to introduce yourself as a first post; where you are from, rough age group, etc.
I am sure you will find many here who like skirts for their functionality and will give you plenty of advice.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
steamman

Post by steamman »

I approached this by looking at pictures on the web of styles that I thought looked attractive to me. In truth, you can wear any style of skirt. When I started out, I wasn’t particularly keen on showing my legs so I decided to go for a long skirt, and I opted for denim. It’s a good place to start. If you want maximum freedom of movement go for an A line style.

The other option is a kilt, and you don’t need to wear tartan, the modern utility kilts are excellent. Some on here only wear mini skirts and they do offer ultimate freedom but be prepared to consider shaving your legs if you want to go down this route. Once you have chosen a style the next question is shoes....
steamman

Post by steamman »

I approached this by looking at pictures on the web of styles that I thought looked attractive to me. In truth, you can wear any style of skirt. When I started out, I wasn’t particularly keen on showing my legs so I decided to go for a long skirt, and I opted for denim. It’s a good place to start. If you want maximum freedom of movement go for an A line style.

The other option is a kilt, and you don’t need to wear tartan, the modern utility kilts are excellent. Some on here only wear mini skirts and they do offer ultimate freedom but be prepared to consider shaving your legs if you want to go down this route. Once you have chosen a style the next question is shoes....
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

Welcome to Skirtcafe, Covalence88.

For funtionality, start with something that will zip and have pockets similar to what you are used to. I used to wear shorts all summer. Now I mostly wear above-the-knee skirts in blue jean or khaki material styled the same with pockets, belt, and fly. East transition.
Shilo
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Shilo »

I would look at pictures online and choose something that looks attractive to you. Don’t worry what others think. I agree that a utility kilt or cargo skirt can be a good start.
:roll:
FranTastic444
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FranTastic444 »

I would recommend looking at pics of guys in skirts rather than women.

This site has some great photos to trawl through in the Looks section, but you will get much more depth and breadth of content from a site like Pinterest. If you were born in '88 as your name suggests then you are probably ok with using such sites without concern for being tracked etc. I set up a specific account and persona for my online skirting activity and I use that one to register on such sites.

There are many individuals you can follow in Pinterest who post up some really interesting content. Here are some to get you started -

Mark (posts on here)
https://www.pinterest.com/Mark_as_in_Mark/me/

Radek Zacharias (Shoemaker and allround interesting guy)
https://www.pinterest.com/radekzacharias/skirt/

Keystone (who I believe posts on here)
https://www.pinterest.com/tl17030/boards/

Nobody Much (posts on here under a different name). Very comprehensive and well curated collection of images
https://www.pinterest.com/nobody_much/boards/

Maninskirt
https://www.pinterest.com/maninskirt6313/boards/

BigMud (Posts on here as Dick Ackerman)
https://www.pinterest.com/rdackerm/mens-skirts/

The above will lead Pinterest bringing up a load of related images, whereupon you will most certainly come across pics of Cafe stalwarts such as Moonshadow, nzfreestyler, Kirbstone and many others.

My top tip if you plan to use Pinterest is to not pin / save any images that feature kids (however innocuous) and also not to save any articles that link through to anything that might fall under the category of 'clickbait'. On the former, if someone thinks an image you have saved (not even uploaded yourself) is iny any way inappropriate they will deactivate your account. On the latter, such articles tend to use images without copyright permission and that also seems to put a mark against your account (even though you have done nothing wrong).
trainspotter48
Member Extraordinaire

Post by trainspotter48 »

Covalence,

A lot of people will talk about 'invisible' denim, and a denim skirt will probably have the pockets etc that you are familiar with.
My suggestions are to avoid something too short, as that will lead to 'exposure worry' - similarly, avoid tight fitting 'pencil' designs. A moderate length 'A' line outfit is probably a good place to start, and develop your style from there.

Best of luck and enjoy!!
Covalence88

Post by Covalence88 »

thanks for all the help guys, i wasn't expecting so many people to respond so fast! you guys are awesome
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

denimini wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:56 am Welcome Covalence88.
It is a good idea to introduce yourself as a first post; where you are from, rough age group, etc.
I am sure you will find many here who like skirts for their functionality and will give you plenty of advice.
ECHOING this post - - -
Covalence88 tell us a little about yourself - the Skirt Doctor is IN - nothing we haven't encountered before !
Are you on the rather reserved conservative side of the street play lot outback etc. ?
-OR-
Living on the Wild Side exploring experimenting meeting adventure skirt-on ?
Age is a factor but not a limitation to what can be worn.
Are you able to shop for skirts in public or preference to mail order website (eBay) - sizing and fit matters !
Important that you get the basics right and know your measurements and the descriptions -
Hips
Waist
Hem Length
Just some of the things that we can direct you to the right department on the other side of the aisle !

Now Welcome to The SkirtCafe !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Spirou003
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Spirou003 »

As other members pointed out, I think the best skirt you can wear as a first skirt is a knee length A-line skirt with pockets. A-line so that it won't restrict your moves, with pocket because that's always handy (I miss them in my skirts) and knee length is a good compromise to show not too much and to not scrub too much ground (among others) but a bit longer is also okay if you don't plan too much of physical activities while wearing it.
There are also utility kilts which seem to be good. I never tried them but many members find them very pleasant to wear.
John S

Post by John S »

Covalence88 wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:56 am i'm mostly looking for one that's cozy enough to wear around the house but also sturdy enough for wearing out. i also prefer one with pockets but it's not totally necessary. anyone have any good skirts you can recommend?
Based on your criteria you may wish to consider a sulu. I have this one and wear it often (link below). I have several kilts that I also enjoy wearing but the sulu has some advantages. It is more comfortable when sitting at the keyboard because it is smooth (not pleated) in back. It is much less expensive than a kilt and perhaps some skirts. Plus, it has two good sized pockets.

https://www.1worldsarongs.com/1wf-sulu-black.html
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Welcome Covalence and I wish you joy in skirting.

I suspect 88 is your birth year? If so, you have many years to enjoy. I'm with Spirou on this and would recommend something not tight, but fitted at the waist with slash pockets a-la- pants and falling to the knee. Front fastening is preferred, but not always there. Rear fastening is least convenient, but it's no sweat to zip up and turn the skirt around.

This will be plenty modest, allow large strides and also items carried in those pockets. Monochrome colour, preferably dark-ish. Denim, corduroy and polyester are cheap and not too heavy. Leisure Kilts are fine, but 'real' ones tend to be very heavy. A lot of nonsense is said about sitting on the pleats of kilts. I have no problem with that, but a quick swipe of the hand down the back before sitting down will straighten the pleats admirably.

Best to have no pleats there, but the odd one elsewhere to confer freedom of movement is nice. Wrap skirts are useful and with velcro are quicker on & off than kilts, but they tend to be made only to order and pricey, of course.

Sizing: Pakistani and Oriental inches are noticeably smaller than ours. Beware.
Carriage: Sometimes the attractive price of an item is spoiled by punitive package and postage loadings. Also, some goods arriving from the East, e.g. Thailand can incur hefty Customs charges also.

Tom
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
K_Highlander

Post by K_Highlander »

If you are in the US, look at Kohls. I have several of their denim skorts and cut out the internal shorts.
Also Old Navy has denim skirts.
They have zippers and pockets so look like denim shorts.
Good way to start, relatively cheap on sale.

Ken
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

Thrift stores and consignment shops will give you a greater range of choices than most stand alone retail stores; easy to try on for fit, and appearance; cheap besides -- nothing lost if it doesn't suit in the end; or several for a few bucks to experiment. The prior comments are spot on in my view; knee length or bit above; plain fabric, and "A" line (not so full as to be stand-out as "girly") and you'll walk the streets with nary a look as long as you 'own' it as your own standard wear -- not hiding or casting a thousand looks yourself! Have fun, and comfort.