Turn up skirted for the first time

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
robert
Distinguished Member

Turn up skirted for the first time

Post by robert »

Since I still don’t dress around the house when my wife is around as a part of our agreement, I try to exploit every opportunity I have. I do a lot of things skirted, like doing the grocery shopping, going to the dentist, the bank and when I meet some friends for dinner meetings and many other activities.

When I meet people I don’t know for the first time, I don’t care if they see me skirted. When I’m meeting others that know me personally or professionally I find it hard to tell them in advance that I will turn up in a skirt. I don’t want to make a big thing about it.

A few days ago I picked up a new car I bought. I had several meetings in the past with the car sales man in my boring pants. There was something that needed adjustments with the car so I planned to meet the sales man at his office. It was beautiful summer weather so I decided to wear a summer skirt with high heels for the meeting. When I turned up I had to wait for the sales man in the lobby. When he saw me from far away I saw he was in doubt if it was me he saw. When he approached me he recognized me, but it was clear that he didn’t know how to react when he saw what I wore. He tried to be polite all the time but it was very strange because he was uncertain how to approach me. I am sure he wanted to respect my right to wear what I wore. It felt strange for me to comment on my self on what I wore. Everything was fixed an we said goodbye to each other.

The next day he called me on my phone to check if everything worked. It was a bit strange because he knew everything was ok with my car when I left the day before. He was very nice on the phone, but I suspect he called to see if I was offended or anything.

How do you react the first time you show up on a personal meeting when you’re skirted and the other person doesn’t know about it? Do you say anything, and what do you say? I want to be able to wear skirts if I want to, but doesn’t want to make the other person uncomfortable. How do you brake the ice?
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Turn up skirted for the first time

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Hi Robert,
Well to answer your question I don't worry about it. I do not care what others think about what I wear as I don't care about what they wear. And this is just how it is supposed to be..

Just enjoy your skirts and be happy with yourself..
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
robert
Distinguished Member

Post by robert »

Hi Fred

Thank you for answering. I agree with you, and I don’t care what others think too. My question was more about how to handle other people that don’t know how to react towards us and that are uncomfortable with the situation because they are afraid to say the wrong things.

Robert
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

robert wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:06 pm Hi Fred
Thank you for answering. I agree with you, and I don’t care what others think too. My question was more about how to handle other people that don’t know how to react towards us and that are uncomfortable with the situation because they are afraid to say the wrong things.
Robert
Hi Robert,
The best way is try not to handle them but to act at ease and in doing so put them at ease. Some times you may just have to say something about the weather and how comfortable you are in your skirt. There is no one way to make others be at ease with your skirts. If you feel you have the need to help someone with your skirting then do so by what ever means you think will break the ice. That is the best answer I can give you.

Fred
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

When meeting people for the first time when wearing a skirt, I NEVER mention the skirt before, during of after unless the person refers to it first as it seems too much like apologising. I am happy to respond if someone asks but keep it simple like "Oh, they are great to wear".
If you act like it is the most normal thing in the world, then you set the cue for how people will accept you.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

I too am of the opinion you do nothing more or less than if you were in pants, unless they ask or comment which usually is an open opportunity to proselytize for MIS!

Your story does remind me of a time when a friend was coming over to visit us, and though I had worn skirts in public a bit, not a great deal then and mostly at home -- she had apparently not seen me in a skirt before, and when I answered the door in a relatively short and straight skirt she did an obvious double take and said something along the line of" "If your 'busy' I can come back later". Her expression suggested she thought we were doing something "kinky" and did not want to interfere (or be engaged?) but the expression was priceless and I had a hard time keeping my own demeanor 'normal' with an assuring, "nope, no problem come on in and led the way upstairs to join Lesley.

She came round very quickly, and I think it was only a few weeks later she was asking to borrow a skirt I had worn to see if she could make one like it for herself! These days, I think being in pants would draw more 'raised eyebrows"!
SkirtNV

Post by SkirtNV »

You could do a twirl and say, I hope it doesn't make you uncomfortable.
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

What to say or not to say that is the question.
Im split on this one, and I really don't wear skirts much in public. So while I haven't really encountered this, the potential is there, if I start wearing skirts and kilts more frequently in public.

I feel that if the other person is clearly distracted or off balance, uncomfortable, something should be said. To break the ice some. It would also be a great time to dispel any rumors or misconceptions before they get established. And jump to conclusions.

In a group this large, there has to be some great way s to broach your wearing a skirt.

I'm trying to come up with some suggestions, share yours if you got them.
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.
Dick Ackerman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dick Ackerman »

Don't over think this. Treat the situation the same way you would if you were in a pair of pants. Make it a nonevent which is what it should be. If they ask, answer simply It is what I choose to wear. End of discussion. If they like it fine, if they don't fine. That's not your problem. Trust me I have been doing this for more than twenty years and it really is a huge nonevent. If you want to wear a skirt do it.
robert
Distinguished Member

Post by robert »

I agree with you all that wearing a skirt is a non-event. It is also no problem if they ask me why I wear a skirt. To be honest I actually want them to ask the question because then it’s much easier to continue the conversation naturally. The first time I went to my dentist in a skirt, she was polite when she saw me. When we arrived her office she asked me; “I have to mention the elephant in the room, is there any special event because the way you dress today?” I just said I just liked to wear skirts occasionally. Then she complimented me and told me her daughter had a guy in her class who wore skirts to. I have had many visits to her after this, and now my skirts and dresses aren’t even mentioned any more.
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

First, I think the most important thing is being yourself. Just being comfortable with yourself and the clothes you are wearing puts many people at ease. As for the times that some seem to be somewhat apprehensive, I would say that each situation needs to be handled independently. Think about the people you are meeting and your knowledge of them. Trust your intuition based on the situation and your knowledge of them. I recall once seeing where someone was at a bar and wearing a skirt. Another patron asked if they were gay. This person responded, "No, but I have a friend who has a shirt just like that and he is."

Humor is always a good tool to have at your disposal. It tends to put people at ease.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Dick Ackerman wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:34 pm Make it a nonevent which is what it should be.
Exactly
Dick Ackerman wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:34 pm ............... and it really is a huge nonevent.
That made me smile, I do enjoy an oxymoron.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

robert wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:58 pm The first time I went to my dentist in a skirt, .............
I have not been to a dentist in a skirt, probably because I wear mini skirts and one's posture is mostly out of one's control. One time the operation of the chair went wrong, after the proceedure was completed, and I ended up with my legs in the air and had to climb out in an ungainly manner.
Spirou003
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Spirou003 »

Freedomforall wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:43 pm (...) I recall once seeing where someone was at a bar and wearing a skirt. Another patron asked if they were gay. This person responded, "No, but I have a friend who has a shirt just like that and he is."

Humor is always a good tool to have at your disposal. It tends to put people at ease.
Humor approved! :) I never tried it, but I'll remember it

The only hint I see (note that I wore a skirt publicly once with no interaction with other people than a friend, so take it for what it's worth) is to kindly ask your interlocutor what's going on with the uncomfort you are feeling from this person.
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rode_kater »

So far the couple of times I've been out people have noticed but nobody said anything. It may be cultural, but commenting on other people's clothing isn't that common here anyway.

That said, I think my reaction to a question would be to look down, act surprised and say "oh yes, it's very comfortable".

However, I don't wear clothing that would otherwise attract attention (in my eyes). My feeling is that if I went over the top in my presentation I would actually be inviting people to comment and as such would be obliged to give them an opening. But that would feel like fishing for compliments and that's not my style at all.