Turn up skirted for the first time

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Turn up skirted for the first time

Post by Sinned »

The term used is emotive and refers back to what Trump often called the virus from the start. It was emotive then, and Trump knew it ( which was why he continued to use it ), and it's emotive still. No excuse. Use one of its proper designations, such as Covid-19.

There have been a couple of good documentaries on the "perfect storm" of conditions present for the spread of the 1918 'flu pandemic.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gusto10 »

Gentlemen,

May I suggest that we get to the topic of turning up skirted the first time.

The only good thing about the most recent exchanges is that is shows how easy ones words can be interpreted in a fashion not intended. Maybe something to keep in mind.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Gusto10 wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:41 pm Gentlemen,

May I suggest that we get to the topic of turning up skirted the first time.

The only good thing about the most recent exchanges is that is shows how easy ones words can be interpreted in a fashion not intended. Maybe something to keep in mind.
I'd wholeheartedly second that motion, thanks Gusto.
Steve
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

by Spirou003 » Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:20 pm

Ray wrote: ↑Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:11 am
I think that part of this issue was that the term “Chinese Virus” was used extensively in a pejorative sense by Donald Trump. In so doing, he politicized the term.

I didn't know it, but that's not surprising as I'm disconnected from nearly all medias. Shame on him for that usage!
I concur we should get this topic back on track; but as it appears some of us, especially outside of the US, are not aware of how these terms have been used and loaded, I am posting here comments from a TX State Rep Gene Wu today:

Spike in hate incidents against Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders

"The Asian American community was dreading this day, and we were preparing for it," Texas state Rep.
The lawmaker had previously warned other politicians against using terms such as "kung flu" and "China virus."
"We were trying to convince people to stop using this language so that this day would not come sooner."
"I don't want to say, 'I told you so,' but I am out of anything else to say," Wu said.
"It's meant to be derisive. It's meant to be mocking. And [Asian communities] know that this puts a target on our backs,"

For those of us in that live, or have lived in the US -- we have no excuse for using these labels -- they are not innocent, and we dang well know it.

Though I think he may have a point about motive, here is a FB post from the Sherriff commenting on the Georgia shootings which casts doubts the neutrality of much of the verbiage in play:

March 2020 Facebook post by Baker that promoted anti-Asian T-shirts.

"Place your order while they last," Baker wrote above the photo of two T-shirts that said, "Covid 19 IMPORTED VIRUS FROM CHY-NA."

And here is an opinion piece from a Physician that also speaks to our use of language: [Error in first line -- number dead is million, not billion]

https://www.al.com/opinion/2021/03/atla ... html[quote][/quote]

OK, I'll shut up -- let's see, "Turned up skirted for the first time"

Nothing exciting there, but I recall an instance where a woman turned up at our house and it was the first time she had seen me skirted -- after a brief, but quiet gasp, she blurted out if we were engaged in something (implication kinky) she could return later! I casually indicated all was well by tone, acknowledged her (expected) presence and invited her in. The world carried on, and she later asked to borrow one of my skirts for a pattern to make one for herself!
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gusto10 »

Faldaguy wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:29 pm
by Spirou003 » Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:20 pm

Ray wrote: ↑Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:11 am
I think that part of this issue was that the term “Chinese Virus” was used extensively in a pejorative sense by Donald Trump. In so doing, he politicized the term.

I didn't know it, but that's not surprising as I'm disconnected from nearly all medias. Shame on him for that usage!
I concur we should get this topic back on track; but as it appears some of us, especially outside of the US, are not aware of how these terms have been used and loaded, I am posting here comments from a TX State Rep Gene Wu today:

Spike in hate incidents against Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders

"The Asian American community was dreading this day, and we were preparing for it," Texas state Rep.
The lawmaker had previously warned other politicians against using terms such as "kung flu" and "China virus."
"We were trying to convince people to stop using this language so that this day would not come sooner."
"I don't want to say, 'I told you so,' but I am out of anything else to say," Wu said.
"It's meant to be derisive. It's meant to be mocking. And [Asian communities] know that this puts a target on our backs,"

For those of us in that live, or have lived in the US -- we have no excuse for using these labels -- they are not innocent, and we dang well know it.

Though I think he may have a point about motive, here is a FB post from the Sherriff commenting on the Georgia shootings which casts doubts the neutrality of much of the verbiage in play:

March 2020 Facebook post by Baker that promoted anti-Asian T-shirts.

"Place your order while they last," Baker wrote above the photo of two T-shirts that said, "Covid 19 IMPORTED VIRUS FROM CHY-NA."

And here is an opinion piece from a Physician that also speaks to our use of language: [Error in first line -- number dead is million, not billion]

https://www.al.com/opinion/2021/03/atla ... html[quote]

OK, I'll shut up -- let's see, "Turned up skirted for the first time"

Nothing exciting there, but I recall an instance where a woman turned up at our house and it was the first time she had seen me skirted -- after a brief, but quiet gasp, she blurted out if we were engaged in something (implication kinky) she could return later! I casually indicated all was well by tone, acknowledged her (expected) presence and invited her in. The world carried on, and she later asked to borrow one of my skirts for a pattern to make one for herself!
I'll comment on the majot part of your contribution under the off topic section.
Last edited by crfriend on Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tried to fix botched quoting.