Turn up skirted for the first time

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Turn up skirted for the first time

Post by Fred in Skirts »

STEVIE wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:05 pm The whole process has really been in a state of constant flux over the whole period of the Covid outbreak. I honestly have no idea if we will ever see a return to what we would have regarded as normal eighteen months ago.
Steve.
There is no-longer anything in this world that is normal nor will it ever return to pre-Chinese virus conditions.
The politicians have seen to that. Also a lot of businesses have gone out of business and will never return. Many have restructured to have less workers or are now solely work from home types.

It will be a brave new world for many!
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

by Fred in Skirts » Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:09 pm

There is no-longer anything in this world that is normal nor will it ever return to pre-Chinese virus conditions.
Fred, why the unnecessary, 'hate speech' -- whether this particular virus was or was not first found in any given country? It has a genetic name; Covid-19 . Trying to associate it with any given nation lends nothing of utility to edification, or grace in this world.
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

Faldaguy wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:55 am
by Fred in Skirts » Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:09 pm

Fred, why the unnecessary, 'hate speech' -- whether this particular virus was or was not first found in any given country? It has a genetic name; Covid-19 . Trying to associate it with any given nation lends nothing of utility to edification, or grace in this world.
On top of that, said hate speech resulted in violence against Asian-Americans. We, as a people, need to be better than that.
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Fred in Skirts wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:09 pm There is no-longer anything in this world that is normal nor will it ever return to pre-Chinese virus conditions.
Fred
There was some validity in what you posted but there is no way that you can justify this statement.
Worse still, this absurdity leads only to personal misery and potential global catastrophe.
Steve.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

STEVIE wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:26 amThere was some validity in what you posted but there is no way that you can justify this statement.
Indeed the verbiage left much to be desired. There is no evidence that this plague was the result of the hand of man, so attributing it to a nation or a state is silliness in the highest regard -- ditto the moniker given to the influenza epidemic of 1918.

This particular pathogen has a name of its own, "SARS-CoV-2" (Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome, Corona-Virus 2) which describes what it is, although it's better known by "COVID-19" (COronaVIrus Disease 19, from the year it was first observed). Personally, I detest the term COVID-19 because it's too vague and meaningless -- sort of like "Windows 95".

The big question here is, "What is the future going to looks like?" (Or, the sarcastic may ask, "Will there be a future?")
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

crfriend wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:35 pm ...There is no evidence that this plague was the result of the hand of man, so attributing it to a nation or a state is silliness in the highest regard -- ditto the moniker given to the influenza epidemic of 1918.
That's an interesting story: Apparently at the end of WWI reporting restrictions were still in place when the pandemic began to spread, so it could not be reported from America, where it began, or in Europe, where it soon spread as the result of close living conditions among the troops.  When it eventually reached a neutral country, Spain, it could be reported and was dubbed "Spanish" 'flu.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

With regard to the 1918 epidemic, the end of the war created the setting for that Perfect Storm.
It began in the prison camps where unprecedented numbers of men were closely gathered together.
Even by the standards of the day, the conditions were probably less than satisfactory.
The prisoners and their guards were likely equal in this respect. The men were then repatriated to all corners of the Globe. Bearing in mind that the remnants of the British Empire constituted a fair portion. Most, if not all of the Colonial Nations had recruited soldiers to aid The Mother Country so this had to be a factor too. The origin was not British but British history had a significant role.
This mass transit and at a speed never before seen allowed the utter devastation that ensued.
Our saving grace may just be that we have advanced so much in medical and communication technology.
In the event that we fail to press any advantages, then it is unlikely to be a Brave New World for anyone.
Steve.
Spirou003
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Spirou003 »

Fred in Skirts wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:09 pm There is no-longer anything in this world that is normal nor will it ever return to pre-Chinese virus conditions.
Just to say, I don't see anything bad in that sentence. To me, the "pre-Chinese virus conditions" is not an attack of any form against China, only a way to refers to Covid 19 without giving it a name. Speaking about Chinese virus seems legitimate to me because it was seen the first time in China... just as well as we could call "Chinese goldfish" a new species of goldfish that would have been seen the first time in China. After what, only the context in which "Chinese virus" is used, can make it bad or not and I don't feel anything bad in the way Fred did speak (just try to replace "Chinese virus" by "Covid 19").
Maybe I'm just naive by thinking that way, I don't know, but at least it helps me to miss a lot of negativity in what I read/hear :)
Last edited by Uncle Al on Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: BBCode formating
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Spirou003 wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:26 pmJust to say, I don't see anything bad in that sentence.
If we lived in a perfectly civilised world there wouldn't be anything "bad" in the statement. Unfortunately, we don't. We have documented instances of folks of Chinese descent getting blamed for the thing -- up to and including harassment, verbal abuse, and even physical beatings -- and that's not acceptable. That's from whence the argument against using the country-name comes from, not from Political Correctness.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

I totally agree with Spirou003 :!:

This quote :arrow:
IS NOT IN ANY WAY, SHAPE OR FORM, HATE SPEECH :!:

For those members who have thin skins, re-read the sentence. It does not show hatred to the Chinese
or any other Asian country/culture. It shows the reference of "WHERE" the virus first showed up.
Same for 'The Spanish Flu' as it was first recognized in Spain.

To those who think this is 'Hate Speech', You Are Part Of The Problem :!:
The "woke" culture (what ever the Hell that is) acts and sounds like a dumb blond joke.
This Cancel Culture Crap needs to STOP.
Grow up people :!:
Show some intelligence instead of being 'Sheeple' following the 'media hype' :!:

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

Uncle Al wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:34 pm It shows the reference of "WHERE" the virus first showed up.
No it wasn't, it was first recognised in America but that could not be reported in the press at the time.  For consistency you should have referred to the most deadly pandemic in recent history as "The American Virus", because it was not recognised in Spain until it had spread there from America.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

pelmut wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:07 pm
Uncle Al wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:34 pm It shows the reference of "WHERE" the virus first showed up.
No it wasn't, it was first recognised in America but that could not be reported in the press at the time.  For consistency you should have referred to the most deadly pandemic in recent history as "The American Virus", because it was not recognised in Spain until it had spread there from America.
Good to see some fact checking. Geneticists confer that it most likely started in North America.
Let's refer to them as the 1918 N1H1 virus and the Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome, Corona-Virus 2 (COVID-19 for short).
If one wishes to refer to the "Chinese virus", assuming a possible origin, then one should be consistent and call the nastier 1918 one the "American Flu".
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

crfriend » Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:35 pm

This particular pathogen has a name of its own, "SARS-CoV-2" (Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome, Corona-Virus 2) which describes what it is, although it's better known by "COVID-19" (COronaVIrus Disease 19, from the year it was first observed).
Yes, and that is what we should have said from the outset.

Regardless of linguistic rationalizations one may employ to minimize or contend the labeling of a well-known controversial item is anything but an unnecessary slur to foster more discontent, is in my mind at minimum insensitivity -- something folks in this forum should be quite cognizant of.

Lots of phrases when seen only as the words themselves, may appear innocent, but their context, coding, and the implications that are clearly known should be avoided if you wish to encourage cooperative relationships rather than "wars". Fred, I should have used less inflammatory language than "hate speech" to make my point. The comments that followed from our fellow MIS members confirms how incautious use of known hot-button phrases can cause injury--as did mine, and yours -- we can do better.
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

I think that part of this issue was that the term “Chinese Virus” was used extensively in a pejorative sense by Donald Trump. In so doing, he politicised the term. That may well have led to the unfortunate attacks on Asian Americans as Jeff points out.

Best call it Covid. We all know that that means. Nobody I know ever refers to Chinese Virus.

Lastly - UA - NO NEED TO SHOUT! It’s not necessary.
Spirou003
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Spirou003 »

Ray wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:11 pm I think that part of this issue was that the term “Chinese Virus” was used extensively in a pejorative sense by Donald Trump. In so doing, he politicised the term.
I didn't know it, but that's not surprising as I'm disconnected from nearly all medias. Shame on him for that usage!