How far we've come

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Spirou003
Member Extraordinaire

Re: How far we've come

Post by Spirou003 »

Congratulations Moonshadow! I'm very happy for you :)
(I didn't replied earlier because I didn't find anything to add, people here already have said everything)

I'm not the only one to not know the meaning of "ngurrugaa" :)

Just my two cents (now I found them) to people having sewing capabilities: to own your skirt when you wear it, it is very helpful to wear one you have made yourself, especially when it is well done
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

I was being lazy and hoping that people would infer the meaning within the sentence. It is a local Aboriginal word that is used a lot and doesn't seem to have a direct translation but aptly described how I thought of myself, looking back. Sort of means pitiful in a kind and loving sort of way; something one would say to someone who tripped over their untied shoe laces. :roll:
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
eightofnine

Post by eightofnine »

when i first started wearing a skirt i was worried what my parents would think.So i'd wait till they would go out and i'd get my skirts out from my hiding place under my bed and i'd wear it around the house till they would get home .When i would see them pulling in the driveway or if id been distracted not to notice them come in i'd hurriedly take of my skirt ,i remember one time my dad came into my room (without knocking ) so i got into bed quickly so he didn't see i was wearing a skirt. Now, i know they don't like it but i wear a skirt around them no problem .I'm a lot more confident i used to tie a sweater around my waist to try and disguise i was wearing a skirt when i went out .
Skirtedbob

Post by Skirtedbob »

After reading several post I found myself doing much of the same thing. Wearing a skirt around the house and slowly going outside. Finally going to a gas station then to a grocery store. Now wearing a skirt almost all the time. I was on a road trip driving for a total of 1700 miles and the comfort was great. No problems of service plazas or in communities that I stopped at. When working I have to wear pants and now dred wearing them. I have bib overalls skirt that are knee length have useable pockets and a pocket on the bib for my phone. I wear a slip underneath for comfort and assorted tops. Self assurance and just go for it, nobody cares what you wear so be comfortable.
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

Good for you SkirtedBob!

Same for you EightofNine. It sounds like you’re doing what you feel safe and confident doing. Whatever you wear, wherever you go, the key thing is to feel safe enough that you’re projecting self-confidence and comfortable enough that it’s fun.

I put it that way because I almost never wear menswear any more, but any time I’m going into what feels like an environment where I haven’t worn a dress before I get the jitters. It’s only natural.

I overcome it by remembering how important it is to be true to myself and that courage isn’t the absence of fear; it’s being afraid, but doing what needs to be done anyway.

Keep on keeping on and enjoy yourselves.
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
Charlie
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Charlie »

I've just found this article about male clothing in 1929:
http://www.oldmagazinearticles.com/arti ... mmary=2775
"It seems universally agreed that the male dress at the present time [1929] is the most unhygenic, inartistic, somber, and depressing form of costume that the mind could well imagine. But the difficulty is to get the idea of a brighter, more hygenic, and more picturesque attire into the mind of the mere male."
Some progress has been made in the last 91 years, and I guess most of that has been since the internet came along.
Charlie
If I want to dress like a woman, I'll wear jeans.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Well, some progress. On holiday this week and have worn a skirt all the time except when going out with MOH. I've even been out in the car with her in my skirt, though it was night time and I didn't get put of the car. She hasn't whinged once and seems to have accepted my skirts around the house. Of course this could change in a heartbeat as her whim dictates.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
webboy42

Post by webboy42 »

I don't remember the last time I actually wore shorts, only that the last time I did was because I was doing something where I was sitting cross legged and didn't want to show off my underwear. My current collection of skirts are knee-length Macabis, one for every day of the week plus one for washing day. I want to go longer now, but the regular length of the original Macabi is too long for me and it's tough to find my size anywhere else. Hell, my size is a challenge for Macabi's largest size, so if I don't manage to lose weight, I'll be forced back into shorts, unless I find another brand I like that makes skirts in my size.
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

by webboy42 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:59 pm

I don't remember the last time I actually wore shorts,.... I'll be forced back into shorts, unless I find another brand I like that makes skirts in my size.
Have fun, step out a bit more.... don't fret about a brand or style -- just try a few things on that have a bit of appeal, once you've worn them a few times -- even around the house at first -- they will become comfortable, and off you go! [If you not noticed, I'm an advocate of thrift shops -- cheap, easy to try and experiment.]

Pura vida,
webboy42

Post by webboy42 »

Faldaguy wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:11 am Have fun, step out a bit more.... don't fret about a brand or style -- just try a few things on that have a bit of appeal, once you've worn them a few times -- even around the house at first -- they will become comfortable, and off you go! [If you not noticed, I'm an advocate of thrift shops -- cheap, easy to try and experiment.]

Pura vida,
Finding my size is the bigger challenge. That said, I have my limits when it comes to what I'll try. I have a preference for simplicity of form and color.

Also, given my shyness and that I would need sighted assistance in a physical store, shopping online is the best option for me. Unfortunately, I found eBay to be a frustrating experience, and Amazon is only slightly better. The primary advantage of selecting a brand is that if the manufacturer runs their own website, and it's accessible, the products are almost always properly curated to make finding what you want easier. Amazon and eBay are full of keyword soup product names, which when you have to listen to them and can't just look at the product images, makes the process of wading through search results a lot more tedious.
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

webboy42 wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:59 pm I don't remember the last time I actually wore shorts, only that the last time I did was because I was doing something where I was sitting cross legged and didn't want to show off my underwear. My current collection of skirts are knee-length Macabis, one for every day of the week plus one for washing day. I want to go longer now, but the regular length of the original Macabi is too long for me and it's tough to find my size anywhere else. Hell, my size is a challenge for Macabi's largest size, so if I don't manage to lose weight, I'll be forced back into shorts, unless I find another brand I like that makes skirts in my size.
You might consider a scrub skirt. Wonder Wink makes a below the knee scrub skirt. It may be a little longer than you are used to. But don't dismiss it solely on length.
They have a large variety of sizes and colors. Great pockets. Light weight material. Elastic waist. And available all over the Internet . You should be able to find one for around , possibly way less than 20 dollars.
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

kiltedinthevalley wrote:Moon, I thank you. You are an encouragement to me. I know the area where you live. My grandmother and her 10 other siblings grew up outside Cleveland, VA. I am convinced if a man can wear a skirt in Russell County VA, he can wear one anywhere!
Interestingly enough seem to get very little reaction at all around Russell County, good or bad. Fine by me.

As I've been pretty open about this for the last five years, I've received almost no feedback at all anywhere.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

I have travelled away from home for a few days. I packed 4 skirts 11" to 14" and no pants at all, so for the first time without a bifurated backup.
I have come a long way thanks to those here and hope I can help others get that confidence.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

denimini wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:14 am I have travelled away from home for a few days. I packed 4 skirts 11" to 14" and no pants at all, so for the first time without a bifurated backup.
I have come a long way thanks to those here and hope I can help others get that confidence.
Bravo!

Fourteen inches is a bit on the short side for me (given my size), and eleven would be positively indecent, but I've gone places before without reversion to trousers and have been fine.

Likely lurking sometime in the future is going to be another long-throw trip by rail to Savannah, GA (once the virus issue has calmed down, that is), and it's entirely likely I'll not bring a pair of conventional trousers at all. Perhaps I'll bring a pair of palazzos along, but those are in reality split skirts so loose that the inseam is entirely un-noticible.

The best way to get comfortable with the notion is to just do it.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

I am just back from a trip into locked down town. My need to be outside of the house is greater than it has ever been.
Takeout coffee and a stopoff at an old spot which was used once upon a time for the skirt trouser switcheroo.
It has been quite a long while since I took that sort of trouble.
Today it was a blue velvet skirt, red jersey and tan boots. This morning it was a similar ensemble but with a denim skirt, more suited to a trip to Asda/Walmart.
The distance that I have come is that I did not have to think about whether, just which.
I will revert to the denim as I will be preparing food and I want to keep the velvet one as pristine as possible.
Something that I would not have considered for mere trousers.
Steve.