Swim skirts: Crossing a line?

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Swim skirts: Crossing a line?

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

it's simple, even though we're the most scientifically advanced and innovative people on the planet (or at least we used to be); we counterbalance that by being utterly antediluvian in a few specific areas. Especially anything that smacks of S-E-X.

In that arena, not much has changed since 1641.
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I found the delights of bikini bottoms years ago. So many colours, patterns and styles. The length of the sides varied so much giving incredibly different looks. And yes I do wear thong-type bottoms for sunbathing! The only downside I found was that since the waist doesn't have a drawstring tie, when diving into the water the drag of the water can pull the bottoms down. Not on all, but something to beware of. When out of the water and walking around I wear a sarong folded to knee height. Even my wife ( somewhat reluctantly ) accepts this. I had thought of a one-piece but have decided that since toplessness is acceptable with men and I don't have the size of t*ts that need to be covered up, she may question ( perhaps rightly ) my justification for wearing such a garment especially when I sunbathe wearing as little as I need to for modesty's sake.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

The best swim suit I've experienced is what the Good Lord gave me at birth.
The next best was what I wore as a child/teenager. Just slightly above mid-thigh.
I now have a mid-thigh to just below mid-thigh trunks.
I do have a "One-Piece" but have yet been able to use it. It does fit quite well :D

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

I normally just swim in whatever knee length skirt I'm wearing... underwear and all...

Just bring a towel to sit on for the drive home. :mrgreen:
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Uncle Al wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:19 pmThe best swim suit I've experienced is what the Good Lord gave me at birth.
The problem with invoking that option in the deeply post-Constitutional USA is that it will highly likely run afoul of local ordinance that'll land you in a "Sexual Predator Registry" from which there is no escape nor appeal. The allegation is the conviction and you're automatically assigned, and no matter where you move from there you're required to register so in the locale you've just moved to.

Thanks to all the modern aerial surveillance I'm not even sure if it's safe to "skinny dip" in your own private pool any longer -- and certainly not in any spot even remotely viewable by the general population.

Gotta love the 17th Century!
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

crfriend wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:39 pm Thanks to all the modern aerial surveillance I'm not even sure if it's safe to "skinny dip" in your own private pool any longer -- and certainly not in any spot even remotely viewable by the general population. Gotta love the 17th Century!
In South Carolina it is permissible to skinny dip in your personal pool as long as it is reasonably concealed. I used to sun bath nude in my back yard in the city as I was able to make it fairly private and not visible from the public road. So if aerial surveillance is used AKA drones try to be helpful in making the skies safe by removing them in what ever way short of using a fire arm you can... :shock:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

crfriend wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:39 pm
Uncle Al wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:19 pmThe best swim suit I've experienced is what the Good Lord gave me at birth.
The problem with invoking that option in the deeply post-Constitutional USA is that it will highly likely run afoul of local ordinance that'll land you in a "Sexual Predator Registry" from which there is no escape nor appeal. The allegation is the conviction and you're automatically assigned, and no matter where you move from there you're required to register so in the locale you've just moved to.

Thanks to all the modern aerial surveillance I'm not even sure if it's safe to "skinny dip" in your own private pool any longer -- and certainly not in any spot even remotely viewable by the general population.
In Illinois they need to prove sexual intent to convict of "public indecency". Skinny-dipping is usually not sexual.
A person who is 17 years of age or older can be charged with public indecency under either of the following circumstances:

They performed an act of sexual penetration or sexual conduct in a public place; or
They exposed their body in a lewd manner with the intent to arouse or to satisfy sexual desire in a public place.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Jim wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:58 amIn Illinois they need to prove sexual intent to convict of "public indecency". Skinny-dipping is usually not sexual.
Illinois, I see, doesn't have Massachusetts' kinky relationship with its Puritan background. Many attitudes in this corner of the world greatly resemble the 17th Century.
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rode_kater »

mishawakaskirt wrote:
> don't fit right in all the right / wrong places. So I will stick with
> trunks and the swim bottom.

I've noticed that they are not created equally. Many one-pieces have an inner and outer layer and they don't stretch enough to be comfortable. In my experience the more sporty styles with just a single layer of fabric tend to fit better. Especially between the legs where guys need a bit more room. The Speedo Endurence fabric works well for me.

But they're not for everyone, that's for sure.
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

crfriend wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:39 pm

You only get on the Sexual Predator List or suffer any other penalty or consequence after you're convicted of or plead guilty to a crime that will land on the list or earn you the other consequences.

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

It all depends on jurisdiction. In Massachusetts a heck of a lot gets done before a trial is even held.
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

I'll take your word for it, but I'm beyond gobsmacked! Massachusetts was one of the original ratifiers of the US Constitution and presumably the Bill of Rights so you would think that they would have a working understanding of the expressions "due process" and "cruel and unusual punishments," which includes disproportionate punishment.

So much for the Bay State's rep as a hotbed of liberalism!

crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Pdxfashionpioneer wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:32 amI'll take your word for it, but I'm beyond gobsmacked! Massachusetts was one of the original ratifiers of the US Constitution and presumably the Bill of Rights so you would think that they would have a working understanding of the expressions "due process" and "cruel and unusual punishments," which includes disproportionate punishment.
Well, the entire United States has been operating in a post-Constitutional manner since the early 1980s when a then-president famously referred to it as "an inconvenient document", and that especially applies to the Bill of Rights (which began eroding in the 1970s). So I suspect it's more than merely Massachusetts.
So much for the Bay State's rep as a hotbed of liberalism!
There is a whole lot of Massachusetts attitude that hasn't changed a whit from the days of Puritanism, hence my occasional crack about living in the 17th Century.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Carl, I feel like I'm living in a city of enlightenment as I don't detect any element of 17th century puritanism here. Even the crime rate isn't particularly high. That's why I enjoy living here so much. Anywhere else I choose to live is bound to be worse. The Vikings raiding from the Ouse can be a bit inconvenient at times but then I live far enough from the river for them not to bother us as they confine their roping and pillage to the town centre. :laff:

Just to be on topic I went swimming with my wife today and I was wearing a light brown bikini bottom. No complaints from her as she bought them and gave them to me. I'm waiting for her objections to some flower pattered patterned ones she bought at the same time. I would wear them just for the sheer hell of it as it's just a small gym pool but I'm not sure that she will agree.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Sinned wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:13 pmCarl, I feel like I'm living in a city of enlightenment as I don't detect any element of 17th century puritanism here.
You guys were the tolerant ones at the time and the Puritans were outraged by that and could not tolerate it. So they skipped out to the New World taking their kinky ways with them, and Great Britain wound up vastly the better for it. Fortunately for the Puritans, and unfortunately for the future and the natives, the natives didn't wipe 'em out on first contact.

Don't get me wrong, I like Massachusetts, even if the tax burden is insane and the laws somewhat medieval. Crime is reasonably low because most of the populace know how to behave so it's overall a safe place (there are a few "tough spots" but those are well known). We're also way out of range of the Vikings. Yours may come up the Ouze, but ours come from Minnesota and that's half a continent away.