Another advantage of skirts over tr*users

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
crfriend
Master Barista

Another advantage of skirts over tr*users

Post by crfriend »

I just got back from a wonderful evening with friends at my local, and we were all sat outside when it began to rain. Fortunately the umbrella kept my historic paperwork dry and mostly my friends as well but they departed shortly thereafter. A bit after the rain started I received my last Guinness of the evening so sat and enjoyed the quiet patter of the rain on the umbrella and the soft breezes which accompanied it.

After watching a couple of the wait staff trying to work the umbrellas to put them down for closing, I opted to finish my last ration, stand up, and demonstrate how it should be done. When I stood up, I only then realised that my backside was wet when I re-swept my mini-dress to make sure I wasn't flashing anything. So, with a damp backside, went though the manual of arms and demonstrated the tactic and headed for my recently-repaired car.

Upon getting home, I "txted" amy housemate to thank her and her pals for joining me for the evening, and as part of that I mentioned that, "My entire backside is wet!", to which she replied, "I'll bet!". My response to that was, "I'd rather have a wet skirt than wet pants!" which was met with a resounding, "I agree!" The gals get it. Why don't the guys?
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Another advantage of skirts over tr*users

Post by moonshadow »

Indeed... I think there are few things more uncomfortable than a pair of wet trousers!
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

I recall my long-departed Mother ask: 'Were you ever in Durrow (a nearby village) of a wet Tuesday?'.....An experience not to be savoured, by all accounts.
On our terrace we have an assortment of chairs, some of which are plastic stacking variety. Each is equipped with drain holes in the seat department designed to cope with Irish rain. On the arrival of a couple of guests recently I sat down on one of these aforementioned plastic chairs and got a very wet backside indeed. The drain holes had been blocked by something and the resultant puddle did the rest! :blue:

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

You could twist the skirt around so you weren't sitting on the wet area (another thing you can't do with pants).
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Shilo
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Shilo »

If you did that the resultant wet patch might be mistaken for something else!
:roll:
rivegauche
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rivegauche »

I like the fact that when you go out in the rain in a skirt only your shoes, tights (or socks) get wet and muddy and they are a lot easier to wash than trousers. Long skirt in these conditions not so good.
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

rivegauche wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:24 pm I like the fact that when you go out in the rain in a skirt only your shoes, tights (or socks) get wet and muddy and they are a lot easier to wash than trousers. Long skirt in these conditions not so good.
The above comment made me think of a recent event.
When you discover/member that you have a clogged gutter on your home. I was on our back porch when a soaker of a thunderstorm rolls in. I was just sitting there watching the intense water works with occasional lightning and thunder. When I discovered I have a clogged gutter and the rain water is plummeting right into a large potted plant right below. Murphy's law 20 feet of gutter and the lowest spot and overflow point just happens to be directly above the randomly placed potted plant.
Normally I don't go into my yard skirted, as I'm not ready to break it to my nosy starchy neighbors that I wear skirts. I ran out of the porch, moved the plants out of
Direct line of fire, moved a couple of other little potted plants that were only a few weeks old.
And walking back on to the porch.

My entire t shirt was soaked and 3/4 of my blue athleasure skirt. If I wouldn't have been hunched over to relocate the plants. I'm sure my skirt would have been soaked 360 too.
I watched the remainder of the storm from the porch while in my wet clothes. It had been very hot and humid before the storm, so the Cooler air on a rain soaked body felt great. Storm air currents and rain soaked skirt and legs are great, especially if it has been hot. I did not have this problem, but I could detect the potential.
A wet skirt becomes surprisingly heavy. If the skirt fit is a little loose, there could be the potential for having a wardrobe malfunction.
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Those of you have raised kittens will relate to this. Kneeling on the floor emptying the litter tray a little head pokes out from the front hem of the skirt ( obviously suoervising to make sure I do it right ), the kitten's tail tickling the inside of my thighs. What a wonderful feeling. You couldn't duplicate that when wearing trousers.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

I was visiting a friend who had three kittens and I happened to be wearing a floor-length black skirt; the sun was streaming in through her kitchen window making a bright patch on the floor around the chair where I was sitting.  One of the kittens came exploring and crept under the hem of my skirt; because of the sunshine, she could see out but the others couldn't see in.  As one of her brothers walked by, she batted him through the material; he tried to retaliate but couldn't see where she was, so he just randomly kicked and scratched at the material in a frenzy. The third kitten, on the other side of the kitchen, heard the commotion and came over to see what it was all about, just in time to see his brother disappearing into the skirt.  He followed and a furious cat fight broke out around my feet.

Kittens don't confine their activities to two dimensions and when the tumult began to move in the third dimension, upwards, I thought it was time I did something about it.  I stood up, lifted the hem of the skirt and shook them out before they reached a dangerous altitude (dangerous to me, that is).
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Nice one, pelmut, and one I can relate to. Another advantage of skirts with kittens - they are more likely to climb onto your knee and go to sleep, the skirt acting as an apron and support them.
One disadvantage of skirts and kittens. As you found out, pelmut, kittens like to climb and they would use your legs as a climbing post. Great when wearing trouser but not so great when not. Consequently I have scratches around my ankles.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

Cats, kittens and skirts, are a highly entertaining combination! When I am sat at my pc with a long skirt on my Gwen loves to lie inside the skirt.
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Big and Bashful wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:21 pmCats, kittens and skirts, are a highly entertaining combination! When I am sat at my pc with a long skirt on my Gwen loves to lie inside the skirt.
I cannot recall the number of times when I've had a passel of newborn kittens nestled up in the folds of my skirts. Those are some of the fondest memories from a time long long ago.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

My wife, being always clad in leggings, doesn't have the same problem.

Carl, you have just increased my internal dictionary by one, I had to look up what "passel" meant. A "passel of kittens" has that certain ring to it.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

The old Dartmoor pronunciation is "Passel" although it is sometimes spelled "Parcel", as in "A Parcel of Old Crams", by Jan Stewer (A.J. Coles).
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

pelmut wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:06 pmThe old Dartmoor pronunciation is "Passel" although it is sometimes spelled "Parcel", as in "A Parcel of Old Crams", by Jan Stewer (A.J. Coles).
Or, "A Parcel of Rogues".