Non wrap kilt

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
skirted84
Distinguished Member

Non wrap kilt

Post by skirted84 »

Is it right there was an early version of the utilikilt that wasn't wrap but went on and off like trousers, front fly and button. Still rugged and pleated so clearly a kilt not skirt. Are there other kilts like this?
Happy-N-Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Non wrap kilt

Post by Happy-N-Skirts »

This may not be the right answer to your question. Look up Tartanista. They make a kilt like skirt describing what you may like.

Also, I received an ad from Sport Kit today that they are selling a hiking/golf kilt that is light weight microfiber. You may want to look it up online.
Kilted_John
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilted_John »

Re: Utilikilts, yes, the standard was that way. Was just a pleated cargo skirt with a zipper fly and two snaps at the waistband. The original spartan was similar, except it replaced the zipper fly with an elastic waistband, and the front of the skirt was flat like a neo-traditional (wrap) UK. Personally, I'd like to see the standard come back, but maybe as a mocker, with slash pockets instead of the cargo pockets.
Skirted since 2/2002, kilted 8/2002-8/2011, and dressed since 9/2013...
flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/245gt-turbo
Dick Ackerman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dick Ackerman »

The original Utilikilt was indeed a step in pleated skirt with a zipper. I still have two of them and do wear them from time to time. Here is a very old photo of an Olive Original Utilikilt from 2000 or 2001 I can't remember for sure the date that I purchases it.
Olive-UK.jpg-web.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

My my Dick, How you've shrunk since then ! :eye:

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Oh my, oh my!
This could drive the purists among us into fits of apoplexy of a Biblical Nature.
A kilt that doesn't wrap is by definition a skirt.
To coin a phrase, just saying and not intending to be remotely controversial.
Steve.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

STEVIE wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:42 am
A kilt that doesn't wrap is by definition a skirt.

Yes, but a kilt that does wrap is also, by definition, a skirt.
kilt
noun
any short, pleated skirt, especially a tartan wraparound, as that worn by men in the Scottish Highlands.
https://www.dictionary.com/browse/kilt?s=t
BobM
Member Extraordinaire

Post by BobM »

Yes, I still have two "Original" Utilikilts. Personally, I think they are the best ones Utilikilts ever made. I have a dozen or so "real" tartan kilts, but they are nowhere near as comfortable as the Original UK. The nylon "Spartan" with the elastic waist is also very nice. I do wish they hadn't used the same names for different products.
Ordained Deacon and Ruling Elder, Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

I couldn't agree with you more Jim but there are people out there with too little to occupy them.
Don't know if you have heard this but some believe that the addition of belt loops to a "kilt" relegates it to a mere skirt.
Utterly inane nonsense, of course. It would even be funny if it wasn't serious.
Steve.
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

Always such fun over definitions; but I was recently at the eye clinic at Legacy Hospital in Portland wearing a sort-of utility skirt when one of nurses pointed at my skirt and asked if it was a kilt. I replied that is was just a skirt -- took her back a moment, and then she then said she had to ask because whenever she had asked a guy about his skirt -- they got upset!