Mask, skirts, and protest....

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Mask, skirts, and protest....

Post by moonshadow »

Yes, this was placed in the correct forum as it really has nothing much to do with current events, rather just an observation of mine.

So anyway, around my locale, hatred for Ralph Northam (the governor of Virginia) runs high. So high I believe locals would just assume share space with Lucifer himself rather than be within a thousand miles of Northam.

Anyway, as some may be aware, Northam mandated that all those in Virginia's public spaces wear a face mask in response to the covid19 disease. And all those in southwestern Virginia just said "pfft" gave him the finger and refuse the wear them. They cite all kinds of reasons, but the two main ones are:

1) They are hot and stuffy (difficult to breathe in)

2) "Ain't no gubmit gone tell me whatta do!"

I realized as I've been walking through the public spaces and retails establishments locally, maybe two out of every hundred people are actually wearing a face mask. I realized something about this phenomenon, the people of southwestern Virginia are protesting (in their own way)....

It also occurred to me this is somewhat of a golden egg for any flak I occasionally get for skirt wearing... for you see, I can cite the same two reasons:

1) Pants are hot and stuffy

2) "Ain't no gubmit gone tell me whatta do!"

However only one action is in violation of regulations at this time.... Fair enough, I shall keep this in mind should any prohibition of male skirt wearing ever resurface in the future.

However, I took the curiosity a step further and wondered, "why stake this hill?" I mean, if you really want to rebel against that evil old commie state... why not just run around naked? It's summer time, and there really is no logical reason to wear clothes... other than it's the law. But who cares about that anyway? I don't know... it's just curious the things people fuss over.... I'll admit, I do have to nerve to run around nude, but wearing skirts has become second nature at this point.

Thus a new answer to that age old question is born...

"Why are you wearing a skirt?"

"Same reason you're not wearing a mask..."
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Mask, skirts, and protest....

Post by STEVIE »

Hi Moon
Long time no speak, I hope that you and yours are all well.
Thanks for that, a touch of levity goes a long way in the current times.
Steve.
Guessing that gubmit is not a term of endearment either.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

STEVIE wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:24 am Long time no speak, I hope that you and yours are all well.
Hello Stevie, good to hear from you as well! Yes we are well, just working to stay on this side of the grass!
Guessing that gubmit is not a term of endearment either.
I honestly don't know... they love their government, and hate it at the same time. It's weird.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

I just clicked on what gubmit actually means.
You have a whole different way of regarding your politicians than we do.
No Brit would get terribly upset if you disrespected the Prime Minister.
It might be different if you said the same thing about one of the Royal Corgi dogs though.
BTW I am going out in my own protest garb shortly. The only problem is that the folks around here don't seem to realise it.
Steve.
howardfh
Member Extraordinaire

Post by howardfh »

STEVIE wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:48 am I just clicked on what gubmit actually means.
You have a whole different way of regarding your politicians than we do.
No Brit would get terribly upset if you disrespected the Prime Minister.
It might be different if you said the same thing about one of the Royal Corgi dogs though.
BTW I am going out in my own protest garb shortly. The only problem is that the folks around here don't seem to realise it.
Steve.
Terribly upset? It's a national sport. We LOVE lampooning our "leaders" no matter which side of the political spectrum they are from! let's face it though, they give us a hell of a lot of ammunition. I wonder if the american TV companies would DARE to come up with their version of "Spitting Image"?!
Although on youtube I do see a lot of clips of TV shows where american TV presenters are just as good as the Brits at nailing their politicians. Maybe we are the same but different?
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

howardfh wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:42 am Although on youtube I do see a lot of clips of TV shows where american TV presenters are just as good as the Brits at nailing their politicians. Maybe we are the same but different?
It used to be, not long ago, but lately our elected officials seem to have obtained a certain God like following. So generally in the U.S. it's okay to poke fun at politicians, as long as the person you're talking to already agrees with you.

I like to make fun of them all... but then again, I'm weird.
-Andrea
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

moonshadow wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:42 pm
howardfh wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:42 am Although on youtube I do see a lot of clips of TV shows where american TV presenters are just as good as the Brits at nailing their politicians. Maybe we are the same but different?
It used to be, not long ago, but lately our elected officials seem to have obtained a certain God like following. So generally in the U.S. it's okay to poke fun at politicians, as long as the person you're talking to already agrees with you.

I like to make fun of them all... but then again, I'm weird.
YES - this makes me so sad nowadays.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

moonshadow wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:42 pm ... in the U.S. it's okay to poke fun at politicians, as long as the person you're talking to already agrees with you.
If you ever come to England, it's okay to poke fun at the English as long as:

a)  You are English
b)  It's not too near the truth

In Scotland, Wales and Ireland this may not apply.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.