Has anyone else worn a really short skirt out and about

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Has anyone else worn a really short skirt out and about

Post by denimini »

The shortest I wear in public is 12.5". It used to be 14" until I measured one after I wore all around Sydney, including peak hour trains ........... it turned out to be 12.5".
Actually, I have just measured one now that I wore today for messy jobs like crawling around in the ceiling and hard plastering. Rather than changing, I wore it to do some errands and go to the Post Office ........... and come to think of it, I had to put a box of wine into the back of my car ....... I hope it has become habitual to bend my knees ........ I can't remember. It has a fairly tatty hem and measured 11" at the back and 10" at the front ........... so now that is the shortest I will wear in public.
When I feel the back of the hem it feels very short but when I look in the mirror it looks OK ........... not that anyone says anything or looks at me strangely.
I think it depends on what one gets used to wearing and the locals get used to seeing you in. A novelty has a time limit ........... if it remains a novelty then the person must have some sort of dementia.
Oh, I could keep rambling on during this COVID situation .................................

Edit 22/04/2020 10.41pm
This is the skirt mentioned; It has had a hard life and is the shortest I have worn in public. Was wearing it this morning supervising unloading a truck with a forklift.
wrecker_skirt_P4227631cr2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by denimini on Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

These are my shortest, by a smidgen. I know I'm nowhere near as daring as some of you, and I'm quite happy with that.

There's a burgundy fake leather one in my pics thread, might be as short, but I only ever wear it with opaque tights so it doesn't feel quite so short.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

That is a skirt that you could wear anywhere, a modest length mini. Your top sits nicely over it.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

I don't think I can contemplate the sort of stuff you wear NZF, but I might eventually use a mid or upper thigh level dress or tunic, but only with some kind of thin fitted sports short under. The sort of short that I would not consider without the dress or long shirt.
new2skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by new2skirts »

I have only worn my blue mini as in my avatar as the shortest I would go. I wore it today with stockings and my leopard pattern pumps for a short walk. It does feel empowering, and a lot more liberating from my usual knee length workwear :wink:
Formerly Kilty / Joe Public etc...
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

These may not appear that short, but they FELT that short.
Night Clubbing for Cafe.jpg
The night I wore this little number to one of my regular places, I wound up necking with a lady whom I had just met -- and never saw again -- in full view of God and everyone else at the bar. Before she was done, I was afraid she had put the family jewels on display for God and everyone's inspection (I later found out that we had maintained my modesty.). So, even though it was a little challenging to sit down in, I'd say, for the purpose, it was just the right length! :lol
DVF for Cafe 2.JPG
After I wore this to church I was later slut-shamed, literally, unmercifully. Even at the movies I found myself constantly tugging at the hem so I felt comfortable sitting down in it in a public setting.

In the thick of the slut-shaming, my fashion guru suggested I wear it with grey tights. When I tried that on another occasion at the wine bar, not only was I comfortable in it, but I got a great portrait taken of me by a professional photographer.

I have a few other skirts that are even shorter -- a denim skirt I bought at a resale shop during a roadtrip, my black leather mini and a black sequin skirt -- but I've only worn each once. The denim for finishing my tour of the town where I bought it and was sweating to death. The leather mini to a party, maybe 2. And the sequined number for a choir performance.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I wear mini skirts all the time as they are the ones I feel most comfortable in and wear them out too when MOH isn't about.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
nzfreestyler
Member Extraordinaire

Post by nzfreestyler »

Pdxfashionpioneer wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:00 am These may not appear that short, but they FELT that short.

DVF for Cafe 2.JPG

After I wore this to church I was later slut-shamed, literally, unmercifully. Even at the movies I found myself constantly tugging at the hem so I felt comfortable sitting down in it in a public setting.

In the thick of the slut-shaming, my fashion guru suggested I wear it with grey tights. When I tried that on another occasion at the wine bar, not only was I comfortable in it, but I got a great portrait taken of me by a professional photographer.
Hi PDX,

I'm not familiar with the term 'slut-slamming' over here? Is that like open verbal abuse and/or disapproving glares??
I am used to it - but I do admit that wearing dresses/skirts/blouses etc the fashion choices are greater and so too are the judegements from fellow dress/skirt/blouse wearers ... typically women of course. Women are fierce critics... and they are also jealous creatures by nature too.. (I suppose we all are in a way though) But in terms of fashions women are much more critical and conscious of their styling than blokes!

I think that's really a cruel/unfair criticism of that outfit with sheer black stockings, black pumps and monochromatic dress outfit... that is classical and toned back outfit. It says 'styled classical', not 'out there fashionable'. It and you don't deserve criticism in a negative way for that outfit !! I would be happy to wear that too !

cheers
NZF
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Hello NZF,

To answer your questions:
Slut-shaming is a fairly recent colloquialism for instances where a person's character is questioned as the result of what they are wearing. It's usually done on line, but in my case a fellow member of my church choir told me that I "looked like a whore" in the dress (the printed DVF) I had worn to church the Sunday before. Worse yet, she said it loudly enough that most everyone else in the choir heard her. Before we were done, the way everyone was circled around you would think we were having a cat fight. In all fairness to her, I was wearing nude hose at the time and as I said in my post, for whatever reason, the dress has a tendency to ride up significantly. I agree with you, in the photo, the length should be acceptable most places, including church.

I was really taken by surprise because so many of the comments I have gotten from women have been complimentary and when I had posted pictures of me in the dress on FaceBook I had gotten compliments on that dress. From my experience, women tend to be harder on themselves than one another. But when they're at odds with one another they can be downright vicious!

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
nzfreestyler
Member Extraordinaire

Post by nzfreestyler »

Hi PDX,

ok - got it, my guess based on context wasn't too far off.

I also find that disapproving glares I get are usually from older women who disapprove of a more edgy/trendy outfit I am wearing. Or if they're my age its more about the fact that they aren't showing their legs, or wearing heels, or wearing a dress/skirt either... often they dress very plainly and those women around my age can be more disapproving - and I think that's because they themselves likely want to wear something similar, but don't go to the effort, or can't wear it for a reason - and that's their frustration/jealousy coming out? I sense that a bit because I understand how it is harder and takes more effort to wear a skirt/dress and present yourself well.

Those that are younger don't seem to have any issues with me wearing what I do.

That said I do feel a bit awkward around teenage boys - because I am a bit different and I don't want to confuse their decisions any more than they already are. And they do stare at me rather a bit - which is understandable but not something I like at all.

cheers
NZF
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Hello NZF,

Mom always said, "You've got to take the bitter (teenage boys looking at you) with the better (dressing as you please)."

I don't mind people looking at me, to be honest I probably don't notice most of the times it happens, but glaring not so much. I've also come to realize that if someone has a sour look on their face and are looking at me, they may very well just be frustrated or happy with something that has nothing to do with me at all.

As far as teenaged males go, I haven't really thought too much about my appearance confusing them so much as I'm opening up their minds to options. And not necessarily to their wearing skirts; just non-conformity in general. I don't like being laughed at, but anyone who takes it to that extent I feel has issues with themselves and are intimidated by people who don't fit their mold and are just being themselves.

But frankly, you've as much as said you dress in a manner that's guaranteed to attract attention, so my Mom's favorite expression definitely applies!

Happy-N-Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Happy-N-Skirts »

I have not had any unpleasant skirt experiences. Women who have noticed have also been complimentary. I have been told I have nice legs and how good a kilt or skirt looks. I have a tee shirt that says "Real Men Wear Kilts" and it really has not attracted a lot of attention, but those who have noticed have had very good things to say or agree with the message. I have had gestures of strong and strength. These are the exception because most people don't notice at all. Maybe we don't go where there are teenage boys who notice and act hostile. I know they can be real brats becasuse I was one of them.
FLMike

Post by FLMike »

Yes I have a 10 inch jean mini. Wore it to a mall and a major grocery store, no comments directly maybe some smirks I'm not sure.
Hesitant to go into more detail as this seems frowned upon here.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

FLMike wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 4:06 pmHesitant to go into more detail as this seems frowned upon here.
Thanks, Mike.

If the wearer is of any height to speak of, ten inches is going to leave much of the undercarriage exposed, or very nearly so. At that point, one is essentially wandering about in their knickers. That's OK on the beach, but not so much in the wider world.

A ten-incher on me, worn at the waist, would expose way too much information.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

10 inches I would call that an extremely wide belt