Are you using the remain in place rule to your advantage?

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Are you using the remain in place rule to your advantage?

Post by Kirbstone »

NO.!

Unlike most of you guys I have six of us living at home, two granddaughters, their mother and her new boyfriend and us. Fortunately the daughter & bloke have now moved into our studio cottage on the other side of the lake, hidden by intervening woodland and one teenage granddaughter spends 125% of her time in her bedroom glued to her I-phone! Shows up briefly for meals, often in her pjs.

Her little sister (8) is a constant joy and keeps both of us sane. From a skirting point of view my current domestic confinement is a no-no, as granddad is supposed not to have any out-of-the-ordinary clothing predilections, so in our fine weather it's shorts & tees. Boring!

Nearest food shop is three miles away and my Practice is eight, so I do get to use my car a little bit. Local dump/recycling facility is closed, so we're getting chever at stashing plastic & other waste out of the dogs' reach......

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

by geron » Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:58 pm

skirtedbrit wrote: ↑
Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:21 am
...am finally digitising thousands of 35mm colour slides.

I'm doing that too, but mainly as a winter job. And a very laborious one: it takes me about five minutes to do each slide, including infrared scan, colour correction and de-scratching. Not certain that I'll ever finish....
How do you do that? I've thousands of slides from by-gone eras that I'd like to preserve and catalog better. Lost a wonderful collection of the Arctic from the late 70's to water damage when shipped to CR--sad, but I think it might be fun to print the resulting bled colors and sell it as modern art! Anyway, if either of you have clues to an easy means for this, please let me know in words that an old Luddite can follow!
geron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by geron »

Faldaguy wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:52 am How do you do that? I've thousands of slides from by-gone eras that I'd like to preserve and catalog better. Lost a wonderful collection of the Arctic from the late 70's to water damage when shipped to CR--sad, but I think it might be fun to print the resulting bled colors and sell it as modern art! Anyway, if either of you have clues to an easy means for this, please let me know in words that an old Luddite can follow!
Well, it's a longer story than can be told here. But myself, I use a 35mm film scanner (a Plustek OpticFilm 8200i SE, which my wife, in a rush of generosity, bought me as a birthday present). It scans film strips and mounted transparencies, and comes with software which you use to colour-correct and restore the pictures. But it's quite a steep learning curve because there are so many factors you need to adjust to get a good result. You have to develop an eye for it. And I suspect that you have to be doing it all day to get really good at it. So it might be a bit if a challenge for an old Luddite!

With old Kodachrome slides, you can often get brilliant, sharp results because the colour dyes are very stable. With many other films, the colours fade and drift with age, and the results are more variable.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

crfriend wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:24 am I cannot recall the last personal interaction I had with another human being. The last time I went for a walk outdoors was yesterday (which I wore a dress for) and the only hint of human activity was the sound of aircraft above, one jet a long way off and a propellor-driven one close in, likely police surveillance. No traffic was heard, nor even a human voice. Even the birds were eerily quiet.
It's strange how different my experience is from yours.  I'm getting about twice as many 'phone calls as usual, not just from friends who want someone to chat to, but from regular customers checking up that I am all right.  Because I am in an urban area and the weather has suddenly turned fine, there have been long conversations over the garden fences with neighbours each side and (shouted) even further afield.  Strangely, whilst people I recognise have become more chatty, the few strangers I have met on walks have seemed definitely reserved (almost as if they feel guilty for going out at all).

I find the lack of traffic and aircraft noise delightful -- at least it was until the local yobs discovered they could drive at 50 mph in a 20-mph limit with noisy exhausts and impunity.  I have resurrected an electronics project that I that I put aside last year for lack of time -- and find I have to keep putting it aside again as other jobs take priority.  If it ever gets completed, there are several other long-term jobs in the queue, including some valve amplifier rebuilds.  The biggest irritation is lack of materials: I need some specific sizes of plank and boards to repair a shed roof and cannot go out and buy them.

Is your problem simply pressure of work at the moment or lack of things to do or lack of incentive to do them?  The work will probably begin to ease off a bit as things settle back into a new routine and I find it difficult to believe that someone with as many interests as you cannot find a project to bury yourself in.  If lack of human contact is the main problem, what is stopping you from doing something as old-fashioned as picking up the 'phone and ringing someone you know for a chat -- they might be glad of it too.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
skirtedbrit
Distinguished Member

Post by skirtedbrit »

For Faldaguy and others;
I originally had a Plustek Opticfilm 7200 which did a few slides at a time - hopeless for the many thousands I have. The Braun Multimag Slidescan 6000 does 50 at a time automatically, but at fairly high resolution (2500dpi) it takes about 2 1/2 minutes per slide. It also does some scratch and colour correction during the scan. The biggest problem is how to archive the result as the Cyberview software puts the results into Windows Documents automatically. I have not found a way of scanning straight to Windows Photos. Does anybody know of suitable software that I can scan to simply and automatically? Photoshop Elements Organizer can do it but it seems clumsy and doesnt do what I want.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

pelmut wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:23 am
crfriend wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:24 am I cannot recall the last personal interaction I had with another human being.
Is your problem simply pressure of work at the moment or lack of things to do or lack of incentive to do them?  [...]  If lack of human contact is the main problem, what is stopping you from doing something as old-fashioned as picking up the 'phone and ringing someone you know for a chat -- they might be glad of it too.
It's largely the intrusion of work. The parent company in Dallas, TX have discovered that they can extract almost double the work out of folks at home and are leveraging that to the nines. Making matters worse,the Corporate environment lacks the simple discipline of priority and everything is more important than everything else -- meaning, of course, that everybody is full-throttle full-time and that precisely nothing gets completed.

I have plenty of stuff I want to get done, some of which has in the cracks between work. I have a mountain of vinyl LPs that I want to digitise -- and the tools to do it -- so I'm working through that project as time permits. I also need to get my old reel-to-reel deck fixed, but that requires at least one special capacitor that I have no clue about a source for (the cap for the AC-driven take-up and supply reel-motors, both of which run very hot now). The death of the local economy has probably killed off the service place I was looking at in metro-Boston, so that option is probably now off the table forever.

As far as 'phone calls go, I find them good for the mind, but lacking for the soul; there's just something missing in the mix.

The short answer is I need to find a way to tell the chimps in Corporate to back down and give me my life back.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

crfriend wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:42 am <snip> I also need to get my old reel-to-reel deck fixed, but that requires at least one special capacitor that I have no clue about a source for (the cap for the AC-driven take-up and supply reel-motors, both of which run very hot now). <snip>
Try looking at www.mouser.com for parts.
They carry almost everything you'ld need.
If they don't have it, you don't need it ;)

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

I could never afford a decent reel to reel, I remember as a school kid drooling over the top flight Technics machines in a Hi-fi exhibition, the best the local shops had in Carlisle were by Philips, I sort of liked the looks of them but they didn't take full size spools and so were not drool-worthy. I couldn't afford those either. I had to make do with a ghetto blaster. In this current spell of incarceration in my house, I have been trying to repair my old Aiwa F770, dual captan three head cassette deck. Battling against the odds, it now has new belts, after a false start or three there is a nre idler wheel in it and that works well. I got the thing re-assembled and know the split washer that ran off and hid inside causing me much grief, well it won't short anything out because I found it on the table after re-assembling the deck. (better not mention the other, slightly bigger washer that must have come from somewhere). Anyway, all back together, all the lighty uppy bits light up. The cassette holder sticks, seems to be a very common problem after working on these. Biggest problem I have now is the solenoid that pushes the heads and rollers up when you press play doesn't. No trace of a click or buzz or movement. I gave up, screwed the machine together to keep bits from getting lost and left it alone before my temper went.
Yesterday I got out my pushbike to give myself a coronary and cycled a couple of miles, just enough to get my incredibly unfit body used to movement. Did the same again today, felt a bit better, until thanks to my own stupidity, I bounced off the side of a car who was orbiting around my colossal bulk. I think that when they say "Don't cycle with headphones on" they may have a point! I feel a bottle of wine coming on tonight.
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
geron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by geron »

skirtedbrit wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:37 am For Faldaguy and others;
I originally had a Plustek Opticfilm 7200 which did a few slides at a time - hopeless for the many thousands I have. The Braun Multimag Slidescan 6000 does 50 at a time automatically, but at fairly high resolution (2500dpi) it takes about 2 1/2 minutes per slide. It also does some scratch and colour correction during the scan. The biggest problem is how to archive the result as the Cyberview software puts the results into Windows Documents automatically. I have not found a way of scanning straight to Windows Photos. Does anybody know of suitable software that I can scan to simply and automatically? Photoshop Elements Organizer can do it but it seems clumsy and doesnt do what I want.
The Braun scanner (current model is the 7000) looks a superb machine, but at around ten times the price of the Plustek machine it's probably only for the really dedicated, or the seriously overwhelmed. However, I see that it's available with the SilverFast Ai software, which gives excellent control and works well with my Plustek. Would that do what you need? I don't know anything about Windows Photos, but it saves in TIFF, PSD, JPEG and JP2 formats. And there is an archiving add-on.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Since starting my rur-low I have worn a different skirt all day every day and MOH has only winged once. Foolishly I stepped out of the door to look at some message that my granddaughter had chalked on our front "garden" [0] and MOH went berserk.

[0] paved area
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Bikerkilt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bikerkilt »

I live out in the county about 2 miles [ 3.2 K ] off the hard top, I was cutting cedar trees out of the fence row and stacking them on my 8 ft trailer beside the gravel road wearing a knee length camo skirt and a gray tee shirt with a olive green boonie had on. A pickup truck with 2 guys from the water department went by and down around the turn a few minute later they came back and stopped near my drive way, this was down about 150 to 200 ft [ 46 M to 60 M ]from were I was working, I thing they may have set their for 5 minutes facing me before they backed up the truck into the drive way and off they went. I wonder if one had noticed and they had come back to see what a working man looks like in a skirt. I worked on the cedar trees removal for 2 day and only saw them that one time.
KiltedintheValley

Post by KiltedintheValley »

Here in our Commonwealth, we are encouraged to wear a face mask when running errands. Since my family consumes a fair amount of food, I am grocery shopping at least once per week. I use the face mask suggestion to wear skirts in public. I know it sounds a bit odd, but I feel more comfortable in a skirt when my face is covered with a face mask and I am not easily recognized. (I am very comfortable in kilt, however!) Hopefully, when all of this is over, I will just wear a skirt and not worry about it!

I have done most of my spring yard work in a skirt or leggings. I live on a busy street with a fair amount of foot traffic. The neighbors don't seem to mind either the skirt or the leggings!
"Be weird. Be random. Be who you are, because you never know who would love the person you hide." - Alan Watts

Life is too short to talk yourself out of wearing what you want because “I can’t pull off that look”.
john62
Member Extraordinaire

Post by john62 »

Well here in Oz the medical advice is that face masks are not necessary if you are well, go figure.

John
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

john62 wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:08 am Well here in Oz the medical advice is that face masks are not necessary if you are well, go figure.

John
Going on the UK advice that makes sense, you are wearing the mask to stop you passing the virus to others, not to protect yourself. I am a face fit tester and know that paper type disposable masks are no good at stopping you breathing in contamination. At my last workplace after seeing how poor they are we had to withdraw them and switched to proper half masks with replaceable filters or full face respirators, they do give excellent protection for most folk. Although if you have a damaged nose or a beard or just an "interesting" face you may not be able to get a good seal no matter which type of mask you have. You also need to know how to put a mask on properly to have it fit well.

A cheap disposable mask will however cut down on the amount of virus you are breathing out to the environment if you are infected, for a while until it gets too loaded with the virus. If you are well, then a mask isn't going to stop the virus you haven't got being passed on to others. I figured!
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Well, I can't say with any honesty that I'm using the house-arrest/shelter-in-place rules to any advantage because I typically wear skirts when I go to the office. So, it's pretty much a non-starter for me. In point of fact, I find myself in a dressing-gown as often as not, and since I control the video settings on the work-issue laptop (with a folded-over piece of paper as a "hood" on the camera) I have little worry. If I'm going to go out, I will put on something nice -- even for a walk around the neighbourhood (which is rather insular).

So, no, I cannot with any sense of honesty say that I'm gaming it for anything.

At the moment, I'm wearing my blue mini-dress with an old and tattered suit-jacket over it. It's not bad-looking from the front, but the wear and tear is very visible from astern.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!