What will you wear on St. Patrick's Day?

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: What will you wear on St. Patrick's Day?

Post by crfriend »

Sinned wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:12 amAt Christmas our store had their annual party in a hotel near the centre of York and I ordered my first drink of a pint of the black stuff. There was a tap with the "Ice cold Guiness" so was expecting a draught only to be disappointed when the barman reached into the chiller for a can. I stopped him and ordered a craft beer instead. I do have standards!
Two points here. One, Guinness is not supposed to be consumed "ice cold", it's supposed to be "cellar temperature" or about 50 to 55 degrees in old money. The only stuff that needs to be drunk cold is the tasteless yellow fizz-water that is most commercial American "beer". Two, the tinned "Guinness Draught" is a truly extraordinary simulacrum of the stuff that emanates from a keg; the bottled version not so much.

I've never been to the Auld Sod, but I hear that the Guinness there is even better than it is over in the Colonies. The odds of me ever getting there, however, are rather low.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Shilo
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Shilo »

crfriend wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:04 pm
Sinned wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:12 amAt Christmas our store had their annual party in a hotel near the centre of York and I ordered my first drink of a pint of the black stuff. There was a tap with the "Ice cold Guiness" so was expecting a draught only to be disappointed when the barman reached into the chiller for a can. I stopped him and ordered a craft beer instead. I do have standards!
Two points here. One, Guinness is not supposed to be consumed "ice cold", it's supposed to be "cellar temperature" or about 50 to 55 degrees in old money. The only stuff that needs to be drunk cold is the tasteless yellow fizz-water that is most commercial American "beer". Two, the tinned "Guinness Draught" is a truly extraordinary simulacrum of the stuff that emanates from a keg; the bottled version not so much.

I've never been to the Auld Sod, but I hear that the Guinness there is even better than it is over in the Colonies. The odds of me ever getting there, however, are rather low.
You’ve never drunk Guinness until you’ve drunk it in Dublin. I thought everyone was exaggerating until I did myself. My own take on this is that a lot of people in the USA are more Irish than the Irish It’s a great country with very friendly pubs
:roll:
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

I drank my first Guinness about 40 years ago and I have never been to Ireland either.
The biggest variation in the quality was largely due to the pub and how they stored it.
The best tended to be the ones with old fashioned underground cellars.
The canned draught version isn't bad but the bottled Foreign Extra Stout is very tasty.
No Guinness is certainly my biggest regret since becoming TT.
Steve.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

There is only one way to drink Guinness and that is from the tap at about 50 degrees F, I have had it from the can with the little fizz dohicky in it and it was not bad but it was not really Guinness. The Guinness from a bottle to me had no taste at all just a dark fizzy drink with some alcohol in it.

So tap a keg and drink up me lads. :pint: :toast: :pint: :woops:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
skirtingseattle

Post by skirtingseattle »

You’ve never drunk Guinness until you’ve drunk it in Dublin. I thought everyone was exaggerating until I did myself. My own take on this is that a lot of people in the USA are more Irish than the Irish It’s a great country with very friendly pubs
I can confirm this is true. Maybe it's the water . . .
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Fred in Skirts wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:58 pm The Guinness from a bottle to me had no taste at all just a dark fizzy drink with some alcohol in it.
I understand that they ruined the bottled product when they stopped bottle-conditioning it. That was before I was a beer drinker, so I can't say from experience. However I am quite partial to their West Indies Porter.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

What will I wear for Saint Patrick's Day? I have no clue at this point because most everything is going to be shut down by edict.

I knew my local was going to be closed that day, but the news grew worse this afternoon when I discovered that they're going to be shut down from tomorrow until early April.

I've been sent home to work from there until early April as well, and whilst that will give me a chance to catch up on some design and documentation work that's been languishing for months years, it still feels as if I've been sent home to die. I'm a stubborn old f**k, so that isn't going to happen, but if they shut down take-out places it'll be bad; if grocery stores get shut down it'll be exponentially worse; and if they close liquor stores it'll merely be inhumane (or at least in a really kinky sense Puritanical).

We're one short step from full martial law, and I'm beginning to wonder if this is the final end-game.

I may have to drop some materiel off at work tomorrow (St. Pat's Day), so I'll have to wear something more presentable than a bathrobe, but am not too interested in it.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

We're one short step from full martial law, and I'm beginning to wonder if this is the final end-game.
A bit pessimistic are we? :cry:

I am as cynical as they come about government actions/motives -- but apply a bit of sociological perspective and ye may not feel quite so threatened. Take a look at the link I posted yesterday to the history of pandemics and perhaps that will provide some comfort in knowing we've been down this road a few times before, though the ramped up 5G speed of info and dis-info games does indeed add an element of craziness to contend with as well.

It may not be Dublin Guinness but it's pretty difficult to impede home brew and moonshine if worst comes to worst. :pint:

Despite the announcement today that my country of residence, Costa Rica just imposed an 'mandatory preventative quarantine' (whatever that means) on returning residents, I will still be in my St. Paddy's long green skirt at the PDX Legacy hospital tomorrow while my spouse gets her cornea transplant and do my best to not let that bit of governmental impediment to our return flight shiver my timbers too much, as this too shall pass. :think: ?

Cheers!
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Yes, things will pass and we will get over this virus. But there may be long-term effects. It has been posited that the introduction of home working may see a reluctance of bit the company and the employee to return to the traditional office environment particularly if the home working is seen as a success. There my also be a further weakening of the patron-pub allegiance with a detrimental effect on the licensed trade. People may become even more isolated through the discouragement of congregating and visiting. These are just three examples that have been mooted and there will no doubt be others.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
geron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by geron »

Fred in Skirts wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:58 pm There is only one way to drink Guinness and that is from the tap at about 50 degrees F
Draught Guinness Extra Cold was introduced more than ten years ago to please younger drinkers, and some of them seem to like it:
https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/209/34781/

I visited the Guinness brewery at St James's Gate a few years back, though I don't remember being offered it then.