Techniques you've used to get more men into wearing skirts

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Techniques you've used to get more men into wearing skirts

Post by Grok »

Probably the best thing that members can do is try different things, and wear them out and about with aplomb and nonchalance.
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

Hey, you guys are good -- getting some notions out there...let's keep exploring some more options -- we can employ many, not just one or two!

Yes, I am going to keep wearing skirts regardless of if others join, but I'd still find it easier if more were in the fold -- and more so, I would like more men (and women) to accept that clothes are just that -- they are not badges of sexual orientation; gender ID; perversions. Plus, it would be nice if more folks felt 'free' of the constraint of conformity in so many aspects of their lives --- so, YES, I do want to see more men take up skirts.

I'm not quite so sure about the notions of style being critical -- true many men are reluctant about the 'feminine' side of things and thus the Kilt and Utiliskirt, etc. do provide a bit of an easier path to entry -- but all of those styles are present now. Today I've got on a long black Gypsy Jeans cargo skirt that has more pockets than any normal pair of paints, looks almost like a pair of loose black pants, has belt loops and when worn with a grey dress shirt and black leather coat ---hell, I could have been an upscale biker dude! And this came still with the new tags from a Goodwill. It lists online for $120 and I paid a grand $5.00 (it was marked $10.00 but on their half-price color tag of the week. So, you can get 'manly' skirts or frilly, or mini's and everything else readily already. Certainly massive racks of simple denim 'guy' skirts might help a bit --- but I still think the obstacle is something more than just style choice. I was a style slob in men's wear -- and started that way in skirts too, just tossing on a shirt from my closet with a skirt, sometimes I even got a reasonable color match...but lack of a fitting blouse, shoes, or .... was not the obstacle to wearing skirts to start with.

YES, I do think women can be more effective in inducing men to try new fashion options. As pointed out, often that is for "other men" not "their's" so one more obstacle to overcome. Maybe we can induce some kind of subversive social competition to get women to get 'other' men into skirt? Silly, yes, but women do have a fair bit of sway over us--admit it guys!

Clearly we must continue to be true to ourselves and strut our skirts/dresses with aplomb and that no doubt helps -- but I'm still hoping there may be more we can do to bring about the tipping point where it is easy for men to choose whatever fits for them.
new2skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Re: starter skirts

Post by new2skirts »

crfriend wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:55 pm
new2skirts wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:03 pmLegless shorts... just denim pencil skirts with eye watering price tag, zip that does up on men's side, and you're done :) I have seen guys in the wild just wearing a denim skirt when the temperatures soar, so a few must have tried it 8)
I suspect that most guys would pass on pencils almost immediately as being impractical due to friction on the legs and stride restrictions. I think a more flowing A-line would be better as the skirt stands off from the wearer's legs pretty much by itself, the skirt drapes between the knees when seated, and allows for a full range of movement. A-lines are also vastly more forgiving when it comes to the shape of the wearer. Too, most "women's" denim skirts fasten men's-style with left-over-right, have dungaree-like flies, and belt-loops. Simply re-badging the sizes would likely be enough, and there's no need or the eye-watering price-tag.

I'll concede denim as a "preferred" fabric mainly because it's so ubiquitous and nicer fabrics might scare the more timid guys off. However, denim would be a non-starter for this old boy.

Men's skirts are already being manufactured. It's just that nobody dares to look where they're sold.
Very true... I've seen the likes of Midas Skirts and CitySkirt go to the wall with outrageous pricing. A line would be better, but most guys might think of their sister in such an outfit, lol... marketing them as "kilts" would set the kilt brigade off, but apart from taking the gendering from skirts (putting them in guys measurements might help), there's no way "by force" as OP would like. All the skirts in the world may not encourage others to follow me. It's like anything preached or advocated, the majority will say no. Eddie Izzard, for all his popularity with his brand of comedy, has failed to encourage guys to embrace the skirt in the UK (it may not help he now wants to be she or they, along with odd political views)... I think it's just getting out there. We may not like it, but thhe genderfluid guys are getting a lot of traction through Instagram and Tumblr, so the younger generation (who seem more in number) are out there skirted (though with the ambiguity of different terms like "enby" does not help) might just get out there. Mark, who used to post alot (I think he's back in the US at the moment, and has other interests in cars) is still in nice ensembles, and like SkirtsDad, Skirtyscot and NZF do well to wear a very presentable look to work. There is a guy on Tumblr (aside from Bossdressing, and Joshohhgosh and others on instagram) who inspired the grey shift dress look for me, and has some stunning heels too. I need to look for the picture :roll:
Formerly Kilty / Joe Public etc...
SkirtsDad
Member Extraordinaire

Post by SkirtsDad »

Why should we want to get men to wear skirts? Surely people have their opinions and dress sense, no? My take on it is that I want to demonstrate that men can wear skirts so that anyone with an inclination to do so may, but has so far not managed to do so in public, might gain the confidence to make that first step. A few people have suggested that the would like to one day wear a skirt or dress to the pub, even as a one off, but, unless I've not been there, it hasn't happened.

In terms of acceptability, the I think it is important to make every effort to ensure one is not seen as attempting to emulate a woman, so to that extent I sport a beard.

Many people seem to have a fixation on the price of men's skirts... do you think that is really the issue here? From the seller's perspective, how many more will they sell if they lower the price, and what profit might they lose? Marketing wise I do think that there could be improvements.,.. maybe market it as a kilt-alternative.

Wearing a skirt on a night out I am never short of attention from women, so quite a few women find men in skirts attractive, however there's probably a big difference between a night out and a relationship where you might have to go for Sunday dinner with the family. Society is opening up I believe, and party because of the gender awareness, which more and more sees people being accepted for what they want to be.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

SkirtsDad wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:48 amWearing a skirt on a night out I am never short of attention from women, so quite a few women find men in skirts attractive, however there's probably a big difference between a night out and a relationship where you might have to go for Sunday dinner with the family.
I definitely suspect that there's something to the above observation, and that observation likely cuts across oceans as I've found the same thing here.

It's one thing for a woman to associate herself in public with a guy who is (or, perhaps more accurately perceived as) "edgy"; however that does not seem to translate well into a romantic relationship as I am finding. Like SD, I get plenty of very nice attention from the ladies when I'm out and about, and have many strong acquaintances; however, in the "numbers game" I'm finding it a losing proposition because the overwhelming majority of interesting/desirable/non-crazy that are unattached is very low, and in my own limited sample (two) of times I've tried to light a romantic fire have failed miserably every time. Fine as acquaintances, but nothing close-in; this may be the "but not MY man" syndrome.
Society is opening up I believe, and party because of the gender awareness, which more and more sees people being accepted for what they want to be.
My worry on this side of the pond is that the forcing of "gender awareness" is really starting to grate on a large number of folks, and if things get much worse from an overall societal perspective there may be a backlash that'll catch the entirely straight guy in a skirt because he's perceived as being "odd".
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

crfriend wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:11 am My worry on this side of the pond is that the forcing of "gender awareness" is really starting to grate on a large number of folks, and if things get much worse from an overall societal perspective there may be a backlash that'll catch the entirely straight guy in a skirt because he's perceived as being "odd".
Yes - I will try to avoid specifics, but there is one that comes to mind which angers me to no end. Drag queen story hour - it is just wrong. It’s one thing to read books to children about acceptance, it’s another to have a hyper-sexualized male dressed as a caricature (almost like a clown) of femininity read those books. While I do not care for drag (for obvious reasons and otherwise), there is no way this is healthy for young minds - male or female - as they are too young to really understand what they are seeing. Additionally, at least the reporting on this, some of these men have checkered pasts/records which would make you question the sanity of the organizers, or even the parents. To some degree I’m a prude, but it isn’t just me that is noticing, and I think along with biological men trouncing biological women in athletic competitions, there will be a backlash that could sweep us up with it.

I realize my last sentence veers into dangerous wrong-think territory. I’m not advocating for denying trans people rights. I am saying, though, that biologically they do have an advantage, no matter the amount of treatment, unless started at an age where consent to medical treatment is questionable. While accepting someone’s identity is important to one’s well-being, other people’s rights and aspirations should also be taken into account.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Faldaguy wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:38 am Have you convinced any other men to start wearing skirts?
My next convert will bring my total to one.
What techniques did you use?
Like you, I lead by example. I'm also willing to discuss with anybody my skirts and skirts for men in general, but such conversations are rare and are mostly with women. Men are only interested in finding out if I am transvestite, transgender, or buckling under the strain of life, and once I succeed in convincing them that I am none of those, they lose interest.
What ideas have you to contribute for means and methods we might employ to expedite other men to 'come round' to seeing the advantages, joys, and social justice in wearing skirts?
Here in the home of the kilt, we're working on getting the thin end of the wedge into any cracks we can find in the armour of trousered masculinity. Kilt shops sell plain black ready-made kilts, costing about £50 to £100 depending on quality. Kilts (the cheapest of the cheap) can be seen at international football and rugby matches. Small steps away from the existing norm, and that's the only way it will happen. However it's still a very large step over to the knee-length denim skirt. I can't decide if the kilt's acceptability makes that step easier or harder.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

I've found that by wearing a kilt every day, it became accepted by those around me.
When I started wearing skirts, nobody said anything as I still appeared 'normal' to them.
So, I'ld say YES :!: Wearing a kilt as a starting point WORKS :!:

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

It doesn't really bother me that there aren't loads of men around me wearing skirts. I was always the odd one in terms of fashion likes so it's something I'm used to. It does hurt a bit that MOH who knew this is still not fully accepting of my skirts. I doubt that I will ever convert any other man to wear a skirt but that's their loss. Wearing a skirt feels natural to me and that's all that matters. I certainly don't feel that I, or anyone here has failed. We set the example for others to follow.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Sinned wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:23 pm It doesn't really bother me that there aren't loads of men around me wearing skirts. I was always the odd one in terms of fashion likes so it's something I'm used to. It does hurt a bit that MOH who knew this is still not fully accepting of my skirts. I doubt that I will ever convert any other man to wear a skirt but that's their loss. Wearing a skirt feels natural to me and that's all that matters. I certainly don't feel that I, or anyone here has failed. We set the example for others to follow.
I basically feel the same way with one caveat - I don't really want to stick out which is what has kept me from wearing skirts all these years. BUT, I already stick out to some degree anyhow, so what's the problem with one more thing?
kingfish
Member Extraordinaire

Post by kingfish »

More men are wearing skirts and its practice is on a path to being normal attire. It is, however, happening at a nearly glacial pace. 22 years ago, when I first found this forum, even kilt wearing in public outside the occasional Scottish or Irish festival was pretty much unheard of, much less skirting. And those guys were wielding musical instruments. Even in the environments that embraced diversity, like my favorite SF convention, had at most one guy indulging.

But then again, that was 20 years ago, and I estimated that there was roughly one guy per million indulging in our unwritten freedom to go unbifurcated. You may say that concentration hasn't increased much. Maybe it's only 0.05% which is still small enough that its hard to see it in the wild but it still a factor of 50. This past year, at my local SF convention, the kilts were too numerous to count and those that donned the unequivocal skirt or dress (while keeping the male identity) numbered in the dozens.

Acceptance still may not have been achieved, but tolerance is definitely come a long way. 20 years ago in the general public, I regularly got double takes, glares and giggles behind my back even in the kilt. Today, the kilt gets none of that. Kilts get looks, but they are generally approving. The "wtf" class looks are definitely a thing of the past. As far as attitudes, we have gone from the "people of Walmart" gallery to the edge of normalcy.

What I'm saying is that it *is* happening, albeit at a glacial pace.

And I believed then as I do now that leading by example is our best, most effective method to get more men into them. I regret not getting to know that one skirted guy from the '90s that frequented my SF convention who positively rocked the skirt back then. He was my inspiration. You may never know who you inspire. Actually, you probably won't know. But doing it will empower followers to take our path.
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

Coder wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:04 pm I see it on two fronts, really.

Looking across the myriad of styles shown on this forum, there’s no one prevailing style or set of rules that have been developed. Nor is there one in popular culture - most of what is shown in the news and media is the extreme or what I would call “over the top”. There are some general themes which I think are critical - one of which I think is most critical - dress in a manner that fits your body type. The other being go forth with confidence.

These variety of styles, coupled with the fact that there are so few of us, means that the guy who sees you (or gal) may not like the chosen style (even if it looks good on you). Therefore, it would be up to them as to whether or not they will even think of adopting or trying out skirt wearing.
Agreed, on both points
Coder wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:40 pm What I should have stated in my original response - I don't actually care if other guys take up skirts, though it would make my sartorial choices easier. It also would let me push further than I would otherwise be comfortable.
Me too. I have a few outfits which I think work, but are much more edgy, not to SkirtDad level, but heading that way. If I was more of a party guy, I might have tried them out, unfortunately, I simply can't function in noisy environments.
Grok wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:12 am Probably the best thing that members can do is try different things, and wear them out and about with aplomb and nonchalance.
I think certainly one of the best strategies.

On the subject of trans acceptance, it's not what I'm after, but if we can get people over the fear of trans, (and it is mostly fear) we should benefit, but it does irritate to be lumped in with them. I shouldn't care so much about it, if there's one thing I'm coming to understand as I get older, people are not very smart or aware. And that gets worse the more they stick together. To put in the words of agent K, "A person is smart, people are dumb, dangerous, panicky animals"

I have had success in getting men to wear stuff from the other side of the aisle, but not skirts so much. Just this week, a customer was complaining we didn't have much of warm coats on clearance in the men's section, I showed him one or two ladies coats that could fit at a very good price, and acceptable colours.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

kingfish wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:21 amI believed then as I do now that leading by example is our best, most effective method to get more men into them. I regret not getting to know that one skirted guy from the '90s that frequented my SF convention who positively rocked the skirt back then. He was my inspiration. You may never know who you inspire. Actually, you probably won't know. But doing it will empower followers to take our path.
Splendidly put, Sir! Indeed, leading by example, whether in a "Follow me!" charge or simply "walking the walk" in public with no apology, that's what stirs the blood and tickles neurons.

I still recall the chap I saw on the Boston metro back in the 1980s who was rocking a long white skirt on a hot summer day and thinking to myself, "Dammit, that really makes sense!" but didn't pursue it for another decade and change. Whomever he was, my hat's off to him. I'll never meet him, but if I ever did there'd be a warm handshake and several rounds of libation involved. I can only hope that I can inspire in a similar way. And if the image captured my mind, it likely impinged on others that day so very long ago. It is not wasted effort.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!