Dirty Work in a Skirt

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Dirty Work in a Skirt

Post by denimini »

Skirts are also good for work clothes, especially in warm weather or where much articulation of the joints is required.
Took some pics of giving "Matilda" an oil change. The mini is a genuine DIY distressed one.
The dirtiest work I have done in a skirt was illustrated in another thread http://www.skirtcafe.org/forums/viewtop ... 16#p154716
car_service_P2286844s.jpg
car_service_P2286865s.jpg
I am sure there are a few others here that could contribute with dirty work in a skirt.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Dirty Work in a Skirt

Post by r.m.anderson »

Well there is something positive to comment on doing dirty work in a mini-skirt -
minimum chance of getting the skirt actually dirty and the clean up as well.

What you are wearing wouldn't need to worry about adding another camouflage
stain pattern

Nice that you have a chassis lift to have more room to work - no groveling
in the dirt - looks like you have some panels to scoot around keeping the
butt out of the dirt.

Sure get spoiled with those 10 minute commercial oil change places with
their hydraulic lifts or drive over pits - the hard part of the economics
of doing it yourself is the disposal of the used oil in an environmental friendly way.
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Shilo
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Shilo »

I agree with the comment about the extra freedom given when wearing a mini when working. Beware of painting. I learned the hard way about the difficulties that of removing oil based paint from skin
:roll:
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

We all grew up having clothes that have been worn to the point that they are considered work clothes.

There is just something about having a work skirt
Freefrom

Post by Freefrom »

Really do I like working in a skirt. But a whole lot of my work involves getting really greasy and dirty, for the most practical reasons, keeping my legs clean, Overalls are still the only answer. Am sorry to say that practicality sometimes wins over preference. When lying under to fix a dirty machine on a dirty floor a skirt seems to sweep up and collect all the mess! Not for me to spoil perfectly good clothing in a sea of grim, I wouldn't even treat my less favored skirt to skidding around on a filthy floor.
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

Given I've relegated my pants to the least accessible place in my closet, skirts are the normal daily choice and denim skirts or the like certainly work as well, or better, for most of the task I would have done in jeans years ago. Short skirts are indeed often the choice if the job does not entail risk of flying metal bits or sparks; longer ones for warmth or tasks that may be a bit more hazardous. My 'work' skirts cost no more than jeans & incur no more care either, so why fret until you do need to crawl into the gunk on the floor and then just keeping the bod cleaner seems to justify putting up with trousers. "Work" activity does seem to imply more potential exposure to others who may be around so for whatever implications that may have, you may wish to be aware! I usually figure I'm less obligated to be 'proper' in monitoring my posture in the shop than in the more public venues. Conclusion: It is still pretty much skirts 24/7 when awake as far as I'm concerned.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

r.m.anderson wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:46 am Nice that you have a chassis lift to have more room to work - no groveling
in the dirt - looks like you have some panels to scoot around keeping the
butt out of the dirt.
Actually is not a lift but pivoting ramps, like a see-saw
seesaw_P2286941_mov_sml_short4.gif
r.m.anderson wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:46 am the hard part of the economics of doing it yourself is the disposal of the used oil in an environmental friendly way.
I take the old oil (and all other recyclables) to a recycle centre at the nearest big town when I do my shopping.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

That is neat having a drive on drive off ramp.
You keep rocking Matilda like that and every last drop of used oil will for sure be emptied out of the crankcase.
I really like to empty ALL the used oil out in an oil change - but alas there is always some contaminate left over
especially if not changing the oil filter at the same time.

Used to do my own but now I let the dealer do it with his drive over pit - 10 minutes and done - hope the guy
in pit doesn't get burned with the hot oil exiting - one thing you want the oil hot and fluid enough to exit the
crankcase and not lolly ganging around like molasses waiting for the last drip to fall off the dip stick !

Those new synthetic oils are like sheer skirts - can see through the molecules.
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
nzfreestyler
Member Extraordinaire

Post by nzfreestyler »

I often put overalls or coveralls on at work if I help out in the storeroom now and again.
The good thing about a short skirt is I just take my heels off and step into my overalls, my skirt is short enough that I can still wear it inside my overalls - its not in the way . I have unloaded trucks in a mini and heels too ! Not that often - I'm not employed to do that stuff but I am happy to help out when needed.

cheers
NZF
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

r.m.anderson wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:59 am - one thing you want the oil hot and fluid enough to exit the
crankcase and not lolly ganging around like molasses waiting for the last drip to fall off the dip stick !
Ha, yes I take it for a run first then the trick is not getting fingers burnt or dropping the plug into the container - same undoing the oil filter.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

denimini wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:24 amActually is not a lift but pivoting ramps, like a see-saw
What an ingenious device! I thought it might have been a pivot-job of some sort from the appearance of it, but I'd never seen one in real life so couldn't be sure. The animated version shows it off brilliantly.

It must be an interesting sensation when driving onto it and the nose starts to drop!
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Working in winter but still in a mini skirt. That is the jumper (pullover, sweater) bunched up and not all my belly.
winter work_P6172436s.jpg
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

Get a skirt dirty??? You must be mad!!
Just joking,
Most of my skirts are in like new condition, I would be very sad if I got them dirty or tore one of them.
Right now I have one "sacrificial" skirt.
I have a denim Just above the knee length skirt.
That I have never really cared for in the first place because it has crappy nearly worthless pockets on it. I have much nicer denim skirts.

I almost got rid of it, then thought I ll keep it as a expendable skirt. Last year during the height of covid I wore it while doing some painting. As would have it I got paint on it. Once that happened, I wiped paint off my hands on it there after.
No big loss, still seems a shame to dirty up a skirt. Trousers seem more appropriate for dirty work abuse. Especially if harm can come to ones legs.
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

mishawakaskirt wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:44 pm Get a skirt dirty??? You must be mad!!
Just joking,
Most of my skirts are in like new condition, I would be very sad if I got them dirty or tore one of them.
Since All I wear are skirts and dresses getting them dirty is just something that happens. I don't get upset over it I just throw it in the washing machine and then the dryer, no big deal.
mishawakaskirt wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:44 pmRight now I have one "sacrificial" skirt.
I have a denim Just above the knee length skirt.
That I have never really cared for in the first place because it has crappy nearly worthless pockets on it. I have much nicer denim skirts.

I almost got rid of it, then thought I ll keep it as a expendable skirt. Last year during the height of covid I wore it while doing some painting. As would have it I got paint on it. Once that happened, I wiped paint off my hands on it there after. No big loss, still seems a shame to dirty up a skirt. Trousers seem more appropriate for dirty work abuse. Especially if harm can come to ones legs.
I have torn a couple of my skirts and one dress that I enjoyed wearing, but I did not cry about it. One of the skirts could not be fixed and so became a dust rag, the other skirt was repaired but did not look right and became a work in skirt, the dress still has not been repaired as I need a new sewing machine and sewing by hand is not good as my hands no longer always obey my mind.
I have a closet full of skirts and dresses that get worn all of the time.
So don't worry wear your clothes and enjoy the freedom!! :D :D
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

Hi Fred, I was just being a little bit silly and dramatic about getting a skirt dirty.
I do enjoy my skirted freedom as much as possible.
I look for a opportunity wear a skirt whenever possible. I can't wear one to work, too dangerous line of work for anyone to do that.
I can't wear them when the wife is around.
I don't wear them to church, friends houses.
or any place I think the staff will remember me.
The last thing I want is for someone to say hey where is Your skirt or kilt? When my wife is standing next to me. That probably be the death of me.
I have had several near misses, when I nearly encountered someone I know. All instances where it would have probably gotten back to my wife, or people at work.
So with all that time gone, there is hardly any time for me to wear a skirt. So my skirts are all in pretty good shape.

I have had to get rather creative and good with the quick change. I can't tell you how many times have had to pull a pair of trousers up over a skirt, or pull the skirt down and off, and trousers on, before picking up my wife at work.

Even if the skirts for men does become popular, I doubt it will change her mind.
I predict I will be able to wear skirts out in public, years before I will be able to wear them freely at home.
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.