Artsy skirts

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Artsy skirts

Post by Jim »

Coder wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:28 am
As for the dino skirt, I think the palm trees are unfortunately placed for any gender and don't add anything - another dinosaur would have been much better!
For a £400.00 item, you could embroider your own just how you like and save.

Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Jim wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:57 am
Coder wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:28 am
As for the dino skirt, I think the palm trees are unfortunately placed for any gender and don't add anything - another dinosaur would have been much better!
For a £400.00 item, you could embroider your own just how you like and save.
I have an embroidery+sewing machine! I haven't done complex designs with it yet, but that skirt appears to be hand embroidered anyways (well, probably machine embroidered to look hand embroidered). I'd probably use the machine to stitch the outlines, then do the rest by hand, now you got me thinking...

crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Coder wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:45 am
[... O]ne thing I found out quickly the week of experimenting *leaving* work - was it was a lot of effort to put together a combination I felt comfortable in. Matching and so forth. Now... I know what my professional skirt style is - but tops are something I don't have a handle on. This has also caused a major hesitation on my part, something I haven't written about but would prefer to discuss in a different thread.
Of note in this case is that the skirt is only one facet that one needs to deal with -- it's the overall look that will make or break the matter. Thus the entire integrated outfit (costume, look, what have you) needs to work as a cogent whole -- and that is entirely within the remit of The Skirt Cafe.

One of the wonderful things here is that the membership has a vast range of chosen aesthetics. Peruse the "Pics and Looks" section for a good snapshot of the cross-section. Many of the folks here are quite good at putting entire looks together; you can learn this, too, but you have to listen to your own heart and sense of style. Most of all, delve deep into who you are to find what you want, what you find attractive, and what you can carry well. That exploration will yield riches.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!

moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Not feeling the pizza skirt...
-Moon Shadow
"Speak not but what may benefit others or yourself; avoid trifling conversation." - Benjamin Franklin