Pleated Skirt - akin to a Kilt?

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
nzfreestyler
Member Extraordinaire

Pleated Skirt - akin to a Kilt?

Post by nzfreestyler »

I don't have any kilts, in fact I haven't ever worn one. I've handled a kilt and I recall they are very heavy and knee length.
I do have a few pleated skirts which are similar.

This pic of mine has been around for a while but it is a pleated skirt and merino top combo that I always get complimented on. It is about as close to a kilt as I have worn, admittedly its not tartan though. I have worn pleated tartan mini skirts but that's even less like a proper kilt I think?

just noticed the pics are from different trips cause my heels are different, but the outfit is pretty much the same!

cheers
NZF
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Pleated Skirt - akin to a Kilt?

Post by r.m.anderson »

For one who is knowledgeable about KILTS -

"It is the *PLEATS* " that define the difference between a KILT - kilted skirt - pleated skirt

Standard Kilt is knee length aprons wrap closing left over right pleats are on the back traditionally ONLY worn by men
Kilted Skirt same design only hem length increases south of the knee (ankle) wrap direction reversed ? and is traditionally worn by women
Pleated Skirt - may be pleated all around or in fractional segments - method of closing about the waist variable - hem length variable traditionally a women's garment

With that noted take the RULE BOOK and toss it - toss it as far as you can or set it on fire !

Here at SC the rule book has been scorned altered torn apart dissected turned upside down inside out and then some - i's left undotted t's not crossed
Skirts and Kilts have gone through a transition of the destruction of the 10 commandments of unbifurcated wear reduced to dust !

If the kilt or skirt fits wear it - if not alter it or take it off on a new tangent of design - say yeah for the Mini-Kilt - Mini-Skirt pleated or not !

Which came first - the Kilt - the Skirt and those Pleats ?- certainly open to a all new book about wearing me skirt !

The teleprompter on my soap box is telling me to leave --- this revolution needs no further encouragement it is a work already in progress !

NZ - regarding that skirt you are wearing resembling a kilt - I doubt so - the pleats of a kilt are sharp (knife sharp) and well defined.
There are enhanced applications of the pleat - box - double box - set to the sett - set to line and the reverse final pleat.
But the main thing is the pleat is a prominent feature of the design of the kilt and not so much a skirt.

Still yet that pleated skirt you are wearing is an outstanding piece of skirtsmanship - Bravo - but that tartan design throws me for a loop ! LOL !
Probably some Maori tartan clan from the Polynesian islands - LOL !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
nzfreestyler
Member Extraordinaire

Post by nzfreestyler »

r.m.anderson wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:27 am Probably some Maori tartan clan from the Polynesian islands - LOL !
ha ha - not quite.

It is actually lipsticks and mascaras all lined up together and repeating....
I have a cocktail dress in the same fabric.

my skirt pictured is very sharply pleated - hard to see in that pick but it has a lot of volume but the fabric is finer.

cheers
NZF
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

I've never owned many in the way of pleated skirts, long, short or inbetween, I guess they never appealed to me all that much.
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

nzfreestyler wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:42 am
r.m.anderson wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:27 am Probably some Maori tartan clan from the Polynesian islands - LOL !
ha ha - not quite.

It is actually lipsticks and mascaras all lined up together and repeating....
I have a cocktail dress in the same fabric.

my skirt pictured is very sharply pleated - hard to see in that pick but it has a lot of volume but the fabric is finer.

cheers
NZF
Upon review yes the sharply pleats come into play view - a box pleated design instead of a directional knife pleat.
I like the box pleat best as when sitting the small apron like pleats tend to be like the aprons on kilts - think critical coverage of essential pieces and parts.
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
nzfreestyler
Member Extraordinaire

Post by nzfreestyler »

r.m.anderson wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:21 am Upon review yes the sharply pleats come into play view - a box pleated design instead of a directional knife pleat.
I like the box pleat best as when sitting the small apron like pleats tend to be like the aprons on kilts - think critical coverage of essential pieces and parts.
yes thats true.
I mostly wear fitted mini skirts and the shorter ones do tend to mean ones knickers can be visible at times - thats an unavoidable truth and issue with tighter short skirts.

cheers
NZF
hairy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by hairy »

I have a couple of ladies billet kilts, they are much shorter than mans kilts at not heavy they suite me just about right. I brought them after buying a mans utility kilt which is just so long and b
ulky on me and the wool kilts are even worse.I'm
lazerr
Member Extraordinaire

Post by lazerr »

I love the pleats. I have both types, pleated and non, and I prefer the pleats. It is much more comfortable for daily wear (at least for me) and the please allow for some swing, and freedom of movement.