Is this a problem?

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Is this a problem?

Post by Jim »

Some time ago I picked up what seems to be a good quality lined wool wrap skirt. I wore it out for the first time today, to church. Outside it was quite windy and lifting up quite a bit. But inside I started to be concerned that maybe it should overlap more. Sitting, or taking a large step the skirt parted enough in the front to reveal a fair amount of the slip. But maybe that's an OK look?
DSCF4336cs.jpg
DSCF4337cs.jpg
What do folks think?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Re: Is this a problem?

Post by beachlion »

From the picture it looks quite revealing. Myabe you could put a few buttons at the inside and loops on the opposite side to lessen the opening.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Other than showing some of the slip it really is not at all that reveling. I would wear it to church.
It looks like a really nice skirt.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

The primary question here is, "Is it the correct size?" If the wrap does not go around far enough you'll experience precisely what you describe. Another possibility might be that it was originally intended to be worn with a petticoat of some sort, possibly in a contrasting colour. I don't have enough data to go on to identify if that's the case, however.

Offhand, I'd be tempted to put in a button or other fastener to keep it from opening up as much as it seems capable of.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

If my book of Analytical Geometry included wrap skirt design; it probably would say that the amount of wrap overlap required is directly proportional to the length of the skirt.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
skirtpettiman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtpettiman »

If it was me I'd wear a long plain black slip underneath of the same length as the skirt. I always wear slips anyway to keep from having to wash skirts so often and to keep my utlity kilts from having to be dry cleaned.
SkirtsDad
Member Extraordinaire

Post by SkirtsDad »

Well, firstly, if you like it, and (as shows in the photos) you feel confidant in it, then wear it. Nothing further to be said.

As a subjective opinion then I don't think I have enough information yet.... is the slip part of the skirt? Is the button in its original place? If the skirt is as was designed then I would imagine that it is intended to reveal as much as it does. Based on what I can see and nothing more then I would probably shorten the slip. It gets in the way and it's not the most aesthetic. It is were a brilliant turquoise or another vibrant colour that might be another matter.
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

skirtpettiman wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:27 pm......<snip> to keep my utlity kilts from having to be dry cleaned.
:hmmm: My 5 kilts are never 'Dry-Cleaned'.

The 2 Utilikilts from Seattle and the 3 Breacans from Minnesota are placed in the washing
machine on a normal wash and spin cycle, then hung to dry on skirt hangers, over night.
No Wrinkles and No Shrinkage :D

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
skirtpettiman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtpettiman »

Uncle Al wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:18 pm
skirtpettiman wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:27 pm......<snip> to keep my utlity kilts from having to be dry cleaned.
:hmmm: My 5 kilts are never 'Dry-Cleaned'.

The 2 Utilikilts from Seattle and the 3 Breacans from Minnesota are placed in the washing
machine on a normal wash and spin cycle, then hung to dry on skirt hangers, over night.
No Wrinkles and No Shrinkage :D

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Unfortunately I put one of my punk utility kilts in the washing machine only for the pleats to be ruined. I need to do some steam ironing to put the pleats back in. Very annoying.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Ironing pleats is such a chore, and one of the reasons I don't wear my denim kilt very often.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Yes, reconstructing pleats is a pain. I found that folding and pressing them when the skirt is wet is a good start, using a clothes peg on every pleat helped too. That is on a mini skirt.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

On material that simpy refused to keep a pleat for longer than a few minutes, I finished up sewing them in.  It took a lot of care, especially as the inner creases are often curved, but it saved a lot of trouble in the end.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.