Clothing envy - does it dissipate?

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Uncle Al

Re: Clothing envy - does it dissipate?

Post by Uncle Al »

new2skirts wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:36 pm(I'm envious of not having an Edit button on my account if there's any typos, but hopefully that can be changed in time. I would also like to go back to being Kilty as I'm not so New To Skirts anymore :blue: :roll: )
At the top of the post are several "Buttons", one being a pencil.
That's your edit button. Works every time.
BTW - I've known you're "Kilty" for quite some time. Your writing style,
and the penchant for "Pencil Skirts", was the dead give-away of who you are.

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Wonderful Electric
Distinguished Member

Post by Wonderful Electric »

Very true that women have fought for their rights. Men have just been complacent. Perhaps our day will come. The world is changing faster than it ever has.
new2skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by new2skirts »

Uncle Al wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:00 am
new2skirts wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:36 pm(I'm envious of not having an Edit button on my account if there's any typos, but hopefully that can be changed in time. I would also like to go back to being Kilty as I'm not so New To Skirts anymore :blue: :roll: )
At the top of the post are several "Buttons", one being a pencil.
That's your edit button. Works every time.
BTW - I've known you're "Kilty" for quite some time. Your writing style,
and the penchant for "Pencil Skirts", was the dead give-away of who you are.

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
No need for aggression :roll: I dont have an edit function so whatever is posted cannot be removed or altered. It's like an offender who isn't allowed the tag off even though the court says the time is served... it is what it is. No Pencil button for me, only Quote. I do like pencil skirts, but that's no crime. They are a comfortable fit.

I can barely edit a post, let alone the username, so whatever is posted cannot be changed. :lol:

I really must have pissed a lot of people off :mrgreen: it was just my dark humour. I will go back to the more socially acceptable kilt forums, despite all their rules, or to Tumblr. Enjoy :bom:
Formerly Kilty / Joe Public etc...
new2skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by new2skirts »

Sorry, I have issues with anger, I am upset I am held at arms length, whereas I think we should welcome all people, genders, walks of life wether mental health issues, trans or otherwise, some may be keen to join but if they percieve an unwelcoming atmosphere, may hold back. I did want to change my ID but cant :blue: :blue: :blue:
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Thanks for all the responses and different takes on this!
new2skirts wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:13 pm Sorry, I have issues with anger, I am upset I am held at arms length, whereas I think we should welcome all people, genders, walks of life wether mental health issues, trans or otherwise, some may be keen to join but if they percieve an unwelcoming atmosphere, may hold back. I did want to change my ID but cant :blue: :blue: :blue:
I didn't see any malice in any of the responses, and judging by other posts on here, the majority of folks here are pretty accommodating. Please don't feel slighted.

Try to reach out to the forum administrator and maybe they can help you with your user name.

As for no edit button - might be a browser issue, I don't think there are edit restrictions on this forum.
new2skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by new2skirts »

Coder wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:17 pm Thanks for all the responses and different takes on this!
new2skirts wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:13 pm Sorry, I have issues with anger, I am upset I am held at arms length, whereas I think we should welcome all people, genders, walks of life wether mental health issues, trans or otherwise, some may be keen to join but if they percieve an unwelcoming atmosphere, may hold back. I did want to change my ID but cant :blue: :blue: :blue:
I didn't see any malice in any of the responses, and judging by other posts on here, the majority of folks here are pretty accommodating. Please don't feel slighted.

Try to reach out to the forum administrator and maybe they can help you with your user name.

As for no edit button - might be a browser issue, I don't think there are edit restrictions on this forum.
I just have the quote button, and report, but no edit. I dont want to derail the thread and make it about my issues though. May just have to try a new account if it doesn't resolve. Back to topic, my envy has gone as I wear unbifurcated garb too and look at a skirt and wonder how it would fit me :mrgreen:
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

new2skirts wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:13 pmSorry, I have issues with anger, I am upset I am held at arms length, whereas I think we should welcome all people, genders, walks of life wether mental health issues, trans or otherwise, some may be keen to join but if they percieve an unwelcoming atmosphere, may hold back.
It is part of human nature to treat people the way that they treat you. Trying to change that is virtually impossible, and well beyond the remit of trying to get skirts accepted as menswear. I would suggest taming the anger issues.
I did want to change my ID but cant
Changing usernames is possible, but somewhat difficult and doing so can create context problems with history. What did you want to change it to? I can tell you that changing it back to Kilty would be very difficult and would require a lot of hand-hacking at the back-end database.

And, yes, you were spotted as Kilty/Joe Public/Jerome E almost immediately due to your rather distinct writing style and a surfeit of other clues. The lack of the "edit" function is a direct result of your displayed penchant for changing history with deletions and edits on old posts.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
new2skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by new2skirts »

crfriend wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:23 pm
new2skirts wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:13 pmSorry, I have issues with anger, I am upset I am held at arms length, whereas I think we should welcome all people, genders, walks of life wether mental health issues, trans or otherwise, some may be keen to join but if they percieve an unwelcoming atmosphere, may hold back.
It is part of human nature to treat people the way that they treat you. Trying to change that is virtually impossible, and well beyond the remit of trying to get skirts accepted as menswear. I would suggest taming the anger issues.
I did want to change my ID but cant
Changing usernames is possible, but somewhat difficult and doing so can create context problems with history. What did you want to change it to? I can tell you that changing it back to Kilty would be very difficult and would require a lot of hand-hacking at the back-end database.

And, yes, you were spotted as Kilty/Joe Public/Jerome E almost immediately due to your rather distinct writing style and a surfeit of other clues. The lack of the "edit" function is a direct result of your displayed penchant for changing history with deletions and edits on old posts.
If I dont change history and use edit for spelling mistakes etc., would that be okay to have it back? The incidents occurred from 2 years ago., and other usernamees are years old. I know an elephant never forgets but I have tried to contribute a lot more sensibly of late.

Changing usernames would do some housekeeping, and other profiles could be deleted if you wish. If I ever fell foul of editing history, then feel free to delete me for good if you wish. It's your forum, so its up to you. I just feel its hard to still be punished, as it were. Just a thought...
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

new2skirts wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:30 pm
I can barely edit a post, let alone the username, so whatever is posted cannot be changed. :lol:
Maybe you could go to your profile, edit signature, and say something like:
Given Name: [actual first name]. Not so new 2 skirts anymore -- formerly known as kilty & ...
That could appear at the end of each of your posts.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

new2skirts wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:32 pmIt's your forum, so its up to you.
Here is where most folks go awry at my role. This is not "my" forum; I am merely the current steward of it. I will eventually move on from the role, by will, nature, or unforeseen incident. So, do not accuse me of things I am not guilty of.

History is a precious resource, and we currently live in a world that seemingly holds no value in that. We forget -- or alter -- our past at our peril. Hence, it should come as no surprise to anyone that I will attempt to stem that tide where I am capable of applying leverage.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
kingfish
Member Extraordinaire

Post by kingfish »

Coder wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:58 pm
I think it’s a simple question. I have a bit of envy towards women - that is their ability to wear what they want (from my perspective, I can never fully understand their situation). So in the realm of fashion - specifically skirts - did you initially envy, and later did that envy go away as you realized you were free to wear what you want?
Envy does fit the condition. Jealousy also kind of fits. That being said, the expanded options that they enjoy and take for granted were only hard won a few short decades ago.

The good news is that have noticed that envy dissipated once I got the pieces that I was envious about for myself and plucked up the courage to wear them like I owned them. I was envious of all the options they had and the looks they put together. I also sensed a lustful rise out of the looks they put together. Adopting their fashions took away the foundation for that envy and internalized that lust.

I've been questioned why I wear skirts, thigh high boots with leggings, dresses, (etc) and I've generally gotten a appreciative response from my reply.

My reply is this first: I find that I really like the look(s). I put it on and rock it with the hope that it inspires them to copy it, like they've done with men's shirts, blue jeans, (etc). Or, at the very least, that it causes them to have a similar rise to the ones I get seeing them rocking it. (Mama always told me "Turn about is fair play!" I do have other reasons, like the fact that I do feel a sense of inner peace when I put it on. I find it liberating. And besides, eliminating the foundations for a couple deadly sins can't be all bad.

One time at a party I put first reply to this guy who asked why I was in high heeled thigh boots and leggings. That answer not only got me a high-five out of one of the ladies who heard the whole thing, but the guy identified with it. He had a thing for tall boots too. He even whipped out his phone and showed me his tall-boots pintrest feed.

To address the biblical prohibitions, I will point out that they are based on either someone trying to sneak into ladies only spaces to have their way or emulate/worship a goddess from another religion. I make no attempt to emulate the ladies, nor any Egyptian, Greek, Norse, or pagan goddess/priestess, etc.

I wear it like I've always had the right to do so, head held high. Intentionally standing out from the rest of the crowd displays a sense of courage that many find attractive. It also provides a common ground, providing far better subject material for that all important ice breaking small talk. You're suddenly a guy who fully appreciates the effort and technical pitfalls of putting together a look that isn't one of the half dozen standard guy styles.
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

I have no envy about women and their clothing, because just about anything they wear (save for swimsuits), I can wear too.
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

new2skirts :arrow: There is a Preview button at the bottom of your composition screen.
You can click that button to "Proof-Read" your post before hitting "Submit".

JeffB1959 :arrow: There are many one-piece bathing suits on the market, that hearken
back to the late '50s-'60s. I have one(yet to use it) and tried it on. Fits like a glove :D

Just my $0.02 worth ;)

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
new2skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by new2skirts »

Jim wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:58 pm
new2skirts wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:30 pm
Maybe you could go to your profile, edit signature, and say something like:
Given Name: [actual first name]. Not so new 2 skirts anymore -- formerly known as kilty & ...
That could appear at the end of each of your posts.
Thanks Jim! I will alter the signature "The Artist Formerly Known As Kilty" :roll:

I was envious of women's skill in wearing pumps, until I bit the bullet and wore something totally different to work (having practiced in a pair all weekend)
b4.jpg
b3.jpg
Shock, horror! it's NOT a "pencil skirt"! Thought I need to get outside my comfort zone, and also bought a grey bias cut skirt and blue pumps
which will appear later (on order) 8)
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

Great look, Kilty! The shoes look lovely. Try with sheer tights also?

For my part, I have enjoyed your enthusiastic contributions in the last 12 months or so. A big change from the past.

Just saying.

Ray