The things people will say

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Re: The things people will say

Post by Ray »

bobmoore wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:20 pm
skirtyscot wrote: post_id=209521 time=1579959415 user_id=3895]
There is nothing wrong with ignoring passages we don't align with, after all, virtually everybody does this.
There is everything wrong with that.
I bet you do it all the time.
Is a snide remark the best you can do?
Is judgement the best you can do?
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Gentlemen, we're starting to go down the wrong path here. Arguing logic against faith is as much of a losing battle as pitting logic against emotion.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

You're right. I normally ignore threads that mention religion, especially the Dusty Old Book-22-5 which is so boring to read about. It's much better that way, leaving the religious types to do to their mental gymnastic in peace. Not sure why I weakened this time, mea culpa. I'm out of here.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
bobmoore

Post by bobmoore »

There are two here ( that I know for sure ) understand the nature of the argument. They and I will continue by email. My address is public information.

For the rest, I'll leave you with this truth that you will doubtless dismiss out of hand: there are some things that you not only do not know, but can not know in your current state, "'but the fool says in his heart', there is no God".
"You can lead a liberal to truth, but you can't make it think."
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

bobmoore wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:02 pm there are some things that you not only do not know, but can not know in your current state
Indeed.

As Carl has brought out the red pen, I'll leave this there.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

Bob, it’s best if you take your religious views off this forum. It’s about clothing, primarily skirts, not religious beliefs.

Let’s talk about clothing.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

Ray wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:42 pm Bob, it’s best if you take your religious views off this forum. It’s about clothing, primarily skirts, not religious beliefs.

Let’s talk about clothing.
Bob was not the one who started talking about religion. It would seem fair that if those who have negative views about a religion are able to speak up, those with contrasting views should also be welcome to post.
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

Carl brought out the RED pen earlier in this thread.
Now, I'm bringing out my GREEN pen.

Any further discussion about religion will cause this thread to be locked.
This forum is about Kilts & Skirts for MEN - NOT RELIGION.

You've been warned :!:

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Jim wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:12 amBob was not the one who started talking about religion. It would seem fair that if those who have negative views about a religion are able to speak up, those with contrasting views should also be welcome to post.
It's not the concept of discussing religion that causes the problems, it's the behaviour of individuals when they transition from conversants to combatants. Going tit for tat with one-line jabs is not acceptable, and that's unfortunately the way these conversations degenerate. Both sides digging in and sniping at each other where no motion or enlightenment is possible is, by definition, not a conversation.

Where belief systems collide, it's best to take the "we'll agree to disagree" route and let it drop. Note that this also applies to "politics" in the Brave New World we currently inhabit because that, too, has largely become a belief system.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

crfriend wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:03 am
Jim wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:12 amBob was not the one who started talking about religion. It would seem fair that if those who have negative views about a religion are able to speak up, those with contrasting views should also be welcome to post.
It's not the concept of discussing religion that causes the problems, it's the behaviour of individuals when they transition from conversants to combatants. Going tit for tat with one-line jabs is not acceptable, and that's unfortunately the way these conversations degenerate. Both sides digging in and sniping at each other where no motion or enlightenment is possible is, by definition, not a conversation.

Where belief systems collide, it's best to take the "we'll agree to disagree" route and let it drop. Note that this also applies to "politics" in the Brave New World we currently inhabit because that, too, has largely become a belief system.
I agree with everything you wrote here. I appreciate the conversations when we are learning more about another point of view. The "tit for tat with one-line jabs" is not educational or helpful in any way. Maybe it would be too hard to just delete these posts an allow reasonable discussion?
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Jim wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:48 pmI appreciate the conversations when we are learning more about another point of view.
As do I. It's always good to share viewpoints and experiences: it's how we learn. Unfortunately, in all too many cases, things get heated and the quality of the discourse heads downhill very quickly.
The "tit for tat with one-line jabs" is not educational or helpful in any way. Maybe it would be too hard to just delete these posts an allow reasonable discussion?
The question here is an editorial one, and no matter what decision gets made the moderator will take flak for it. If he's too strict, he'll offend folks; if he's too lenient, the quality of the conversation will offend folks. It's a nasty conundrum, and an altogether unpleasant situation to be in.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

I have to admit, Bob didn't put me off much. In fact his rhetoric is par for the course here in Appalachia, so perhaps I'm used to it.

In point of fact, he is more or less speaking the truth about his convictions, I simply disagree with the theology, but he's not likely to change my mind and I'm not likely to change his, so perhaps it's best to just leave it alone.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
floatingmetal

Post by floatingmetal »

skirtyscot wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:26 pm Three days out of five in the first week - that's pretty full-on.
Kill or cure! Although as I work in a medical/academic environment (in IT) I must point out that's not an official policy... :wink:
skirtyscot wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:26 pm The overall response seems very encouraging, so do you reckon you're now free to wear skirts or dresses to work whenever you want? What do you do for a living, to have such accepting colleagues and bosses?

The outfit pictured looks good.
Permission in writing, from my manager and the head of HR.
Thanks.