Postive Wife Support

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Happy-N-Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Postive Wife Support

Post by Happy-N-Skirts »

I read several posts where wives are opposed to their guy wearing skirts. My wife totally supports my wearing skirts and compliments me on how they look and which are her favorites. I am wearing a light green golf skirt and dark green polo shirt today. She looked at me and said she likes this skirt and how well it goes with my shirt. She asked me to turn around and said it looks nice. I wear skirts nearly everywhere and she is with me quite often. Several of my skirts used to be skorts but I always remove the inner liner shorts. It defeats the purpose of a skirt and it is much easier to use the bathroom without the inner shorts. I prefer black underwear as it would be less obvious if I flashed when getting in to and out of a vehicle or a seat in a restaurant.

Still, no adverse comments, giggles, or stares. I do get compliments from women and have been hit on twice.

I have been wearing skirts for a few years, but not as openly as I do now. I have worn them hiking for years, but lately I wear them everywhere except when visiting relatives or a few other places.

I'm spreading the word.
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Postive Wife Support

Post by Faldaguy »

Happy for you, and us. Having my spouse supportive is a huge boon and blessing, not just for me but I think also for aiding the movement of men wearing alternative clothing styles. I truly hope more of us will do all they can to bring supportive women into their lives and their public outings.
We too, being retired now, have time to do more things together and I am sure it has added to my comfort and aided others around us in seeing a guy in a skirt as 'normal' rather than some 'weirdo' . Ladies, we too need your support to confirm clothing choice, by men or women, that it is not a matter of sexual subjugation or 'advertising'. Keep spreading the word!
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

We're away this weekend with the in-laws. SIL was having a bit of a moan about my well-judged clothing: "I hope he's bringing some trousers" etc. And my wife told her to suck it up: "he's not going to stop", "what's your problem" etc. She is definitely my favourite wife!
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

skirtyscot wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:56 pm[... M]y wife told her to suck it up: "he's not going to stop", "what's your problem" etc. She is definitely my favourite wife!
Cherish that woman! There are altogether too few like her in the world.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

skirtyscot wrote: ↑
Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:56 pm
[... M]y wife told her to suck it up: "he's not going to stop", "what's your problem" etc. She is definitely my favourite wife!

How many wives do you have? :roll:
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Faldaguy wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:29 am skirtyscot wrote: ↑
Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:56 pm
[... M]y wife told her to suck it up: "he's not going to stop", "what's your problem" etc. She is definitely my favourite wife!

In my experience one is more than enough! I do not see how having more than that is anything but a disastrous war in the making.
:rofl: :hide: :hmmm:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Faldaguy wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:29 am
Skirtyscot wrote: She is definitely my favourite wife!
Just the one. But it's a good way of thinking about her, wouldn't you say?
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
FranTastic444
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FranTastic444 »

I say, I say, I say...

What's the penalty for bigamy????

Two mother in laws :shock: :lol:
jamesy

Post by jamesy »

For quite some time my wife was not at all receptive to me wearing skirts. Basically the deal was I could do so when she wasn't home and woe betide me if she heard about me wearing one in public. That didn't stop me, I was just cautious about where and when.

So I reverted to wearing a kilt and did so daily for over a year. I think she got frustrated by it but rarely said anything.

During last winter I spoke with her about leggings instead of track suit pants, she was fine with it. I couldn't find any to fit so suggested I get some black tights to wear under sports shorts at the gym. She had no issue with that which surprised me. So tights with sports shorts and under kilts at home, long socks with kilts away from the house.

One Sunday morning getting dressed to go to the markets, I took a black stretch denim mini skirt out, held it up and said, "I intend to wear this today, have you any objections?" She shook her head saying "No, go ahead". So I did.

That was last November (Aussie summer) and I have worn that skirt, a similar blue denim one, and one of several black and grey bodycon skirts. I have the physique and legs for them and have been told I look great in them.

It's now March and my wife hasn't said anything at all. Not only that but she has finally seen nobody cares or comments. I have worn them in meetings with clients, to chiropractic and acupuncture appointments, in cafes and restaurants; I have been bushwalking and done many other things and it's no big deal.

We had a couple of cooler days last week so I wore tights under skirts, again no problem.

I did find out where the original issue came from, when I bought my first skirt. It turns out she was jealous of it and wanted it for herself!

So now I know as long as I stick with basic colours - black, grey, blue - and it doesn't look like something she could wear, it's ok with her.

It's very much ok with me, too! I still have three skirts she wouldn't like hidden away, she won't find them a we have always had an agreement our drawers are our private space. Two of them are very colourful and the third is a very business-like grey pencil skirt with pockets and belt loops. She has one almost identical so it's staying under wraps too.

I guess the advice I'd give anyone else is to be patient, take small steps and identify the real issue. It worked for me.
6ft3Aussie
Member Extraordinaire

Post by 6ft3Aussie »

Hi jamesy,

Good to hear from you after a long time without comment, and great news that your better half has come around to your wearing skirts, after her initial suggestion.

You say that you've work a kilt recently? wondering if you've work tartan or utility modern kilts...I've seen a few guys around Brisbane wearing modern utility kilts. I can't say I've seen any guys wearing tights/leggings under a modern kilt though.
I have seen a few guys wearing tights while running or going to/from the gym, that is something you seem to see much more often now.

My wife is quite supportive of me, so I guess I'm lucky in that regard.

Keep it up, it sounds like it's becoming quite normal for you (and her) now.
geron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by geron »

jamesy wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:02 am So now I know as long as I stick with basic colours - black, grey, blue - and it doesn't look like something she could wear, it's ok with her.
I've just encountered the reverse effect, after wearing my Skirtcraft Aqueous skirt (which I am very fond of) today. My wife likes the A-line shape -- but protests that the grey fabric reminds her far too much of her school uniform of more than 50 years ago. She prefers me in a kilt... though she did accept my response that kilts are generally a good deal heavier.
jamesy

Post by jamesy »

I still wear kilts although not as often, especially at this time of year they are quite heavy and hot so skirts are the go.

I live at the Northern end of the Gold Coast and travel quite extensively between here and Byron Bay (although that's temporarily paused) and I've not had one smart comment, not one negative comment, barely a sideways glance while wearing a skirt.

Have yet to wear a skirt in Brisbane, I went to a Broncos game at Suncorp stadium last year in a kilt and got several positive comments and a "high 5" from a kilt-wearing busker playing bagpipes on the staircase up from Turbot Street.

We had a colder day nere last week so wore black tights under a blue denim skirt when I went shopping. It's no big deal, everyone is fine with it.
Happy-N-Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Happy-N-Skirts »

SUGGESTION: Rather than wearing thick, heavy authentic kilts, there are plenty of informal light weight kilts. Living in California, not many people would ever criticize you for wearing a non authentic knock off kilt.

Look up short plaid pleated skirt. I am sure you will find one that suits your fancy very inexpensively, low price, and very comfortable.
jamesy

Post by jamesy »

Yet another conversion with my wife about me in skirts.

Apparently she is ok with me wearing them providing I don't wear one she would wear? :o
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

I foresee more good things coming your way -- for both of you! MOH and I balance fairly well, so sometimes she raids my side of the closet, or offers me a 'hand me down' but I don't dare raid her side much! More skirts on side anyway, so no loss -- only time I found a conflict was once we were in a store with a close out on some skirts -- we found a lovely one in her size and a matching one in mine -- I proposed buying both, but she did not want to match on the street--she got the new skirt. Looks good on her but I think we would have made a nice matched set. I have also 'sacrificed' a couple of items I bought for me, but she liked and they fit her, so, nice guy that I am -- she got the skirt but it all helps solidify the approval and support. Keep up the good work.