"Black Friday" (ugh...) shopping at Shein

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
howardfh
Member Extraordinaire

"Black Friday" (ugh...) shopping at Shein

Post by howardfh »

Never used them before, but they have quite a range and are cheap - so expect to use the items just a few times before they fall apart. Anyone used them? At least internet-bought stuff can be returned witout issues!

Anyhow, gone for these; luckily my waist scrapes in at XL which is 34" Would love to see a selection shown on make models in the men's side so we can see how they look! Might e-mail them.
https://www.shein.co.uk/Zip-Through-Bel ... -1732.html
https://www.shein.co.uk/Tartan-Print-Hi ... 32~~~~0~~0
https://www.shein.co.uk/Tartan-Chain-De ... -1732.html

Have a look and post which you would choose! NB there are some XXL tartans there for larger sized men.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Re: "Black Friday" (ugh...) shopping at Shein

Post by Sinned »

So Oriental measurements then using Chinese cm. It means totally unsuitable for most of us, me included. How can an XL be a 34 waist? Absurd.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gusto10 »

indeed Chinese measurements, many negative comments.
howardfh
Member Extraordinaire

Post by howardfh »

If you read the comments they often tell you how accurate the measurements are. Fingers crossed...but they can always be returned. I would rather have 34" than XL; those terms are meaningless; when I buy stuff off e-bay I ask the seller exactly the width/length rather than risk L, EL etc.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

I do that too. So much so that once I start to type the question, my autocorrect propmts me with every word!
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Tackleberry
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Tackleberry »

We’ve recently discovered shein ourselves but I’m reluctant to order as the prices seem incredibly cheap and probably sent from China...
Think we’ll stick to the like of Yours and SimplyBe... :wink:
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

The US site is also cheap, with skirts starting at $3.00.
https://us.shein.com/pdsearch/skirt/?sc ... ~~0&sort=2
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gusto10 »

howardfh wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:17 pm If you read the comments they often tell you how accurate the measurements are. Fingers crossed...but they can always be returned. I would rather have 34" than XL; those terms are meaningless; when I buy stuff off e-bay I ask the seller exactly the width/length rather than risk L, EL etc.
returning things is an expedition by itself.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Gusto10 wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:07 pm
howardfh wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:17 pm If you read the comments they often tell you how accurate the measurements are. Fingers crossed...but they can always be returned. I would rather have 34" than XL; those terms are meaningless; when I buy stuff off e-bay I ask the seller exactly the width/length rather than risk L, EL etc.
You buy something from China that doesn't fit right - you don't return it - the cost of the postage back to China is 10 or more times what the item is worth - what you do is gift it and file a complaint
with the seller who will then send you another at no cost.
You buy something from a European source again the postage is a killing factor and the seller is not so forgiving but may make you another at a discount.
You buy something from a Pakistani Indian Arabian rag shop - they don't want it back cause of the return customs tariffs more than the item is worth or cost - thus they send you
another copy just like China at little or next to nothing in cost.

Next time you order something from a foreign country check out the cost of postage shipping and handling - it is outrageously inexpensive - but ship something back you just keep it and
gift it or find a tailor to rework the fitting of the garment.

It is as if all imported goods (clothing) fitting or not it is going to be a ONE-WAY expedition.

Actually measurements in CENTIMETERS is better than INCHES in that you are getting a more precise measurement factor - - -

just BEWARE !!!

When there is this fine print that measurements are done by a MANUAL METHOD and subject to being 2.54 variation whatever round-to-its is the standard of measurement !

Oh and if you are looking for a 34 inch waist - the conversion factor is 4X in Asian

Note if you are buying through eBay the sellers are so afraid of negative feedback they will freely do anything to avoid it - you really are in the catbird seat but be fair and use the correct
measurements spelling out exactly what you are expecting ! They are capable of making appealing attractive well fitting garments - communication is essential !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Chinese centimetres are still 10% shorter than normal, the same as Chinese inches.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Sinned wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:19 am Chinese centimetres are still 10% shorter than normal, the same as Chinese inches.
I need one of those rulers for measuring tread depth on my tyres. Also could be useful for those using dating sites :)
That is the opposite to a foundry rule which is about 10% larger to allow for shrinkage.

The majority of clothes are made in China, even some "expensive" brands. Most are OK. I do get a buzz when I get a skirt that is made in the country where the manufacturer is based and mandates decent wages.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gusto10 »

r.m.anderson wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:01 pm
Gusto10 wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:07 pm
You buy something from China that doesn't fit right - you don't return it - the cost of the postage back to China is 10 or more times what the item is worth - what you do is gift it and file a complaint
with the seller who will then send you another at no cost.
You buy something from a European source again the postage is a killing factor and the seller is not so forgiving but may make you another at a discount.
You buy something from a Pakistani Indian Arabian rag shop - they don't want it back cause of the return customs tariffs more than the item is worth or cost - thus they send you
another copy just like China at little or next to nothing in cost.

Next time you order something from a foreign country check out the cost of postage shipping and handling - it is outrageously inexpensive - but ship something back you just keep it and
gift it or find a tailor to rework the fitting of the garment.

It is as if all imported goods (clothing) fitting or not it is going to be a ONE-WAY expedition.

Actually measurements in CENTIMETERS is better than INCHES in that you are getting a more precise measurement factor - - -

just BEWARE !!!

When there is this fine print that measurements are done by a MANUAL METHOD and subject to being 2.54 variation whatever round-to-its is the standard of measurement !

Oh and if you are looking for a 34 inch waist - the conversion factor is 4X in Asian

Note if you are buying through eBay the sellers are so afraid of negative feedback they will freely do anything to avoid it - you really are in the catbird seat but be fair and use the correct
measurements spelling out exactly what you are expecting ! They are capable of making appealing attractive well fitting garments - communication is essential !
There is a way to o t, it cost me only half an hour to figure it out. Still that didn't give a results so a negative post on one of their review sites did the trick.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

Due to this thread, I signed up for Shein notices. They had a free shipping sale, and offered a good looking skirt for $2.50. Not much of a risk!

I'm very pleased. This was listed size L, which didn't quite get up to my 31" waistline. It has plenty of stretch and would fit someone a few inches larger.

I posted the following two pictures in my review on their website. I figured they needed more male models.
shein-review_1s.jpg
shein-review_2s.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
new2skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by new2skirts »

They look nice but shipping can be a little slow. I ordered this in a 10 / M
https://www.shein.co.uk/Plaid-Split-Bac ... _2030~~~~0

Along with some more tights as it's getting cooler. It's not bad value for money if you don't mind waiting for your order. 8)
Formerly Kilty / Joe Public etc...
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

Another Shein purchase was ordered ten days ago, and it came today.

I posted this review.
Beautiful bright pattern and it fits well. I was concerned that it might ride up at the hem taking stairs, but no problem. I probably won't wear it much until it warms up, though.
DSCN3185cs.jpg
Only $4.00, with free "Black Friday" shipping. I like it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.