Why we wear skirts and how does it feel?

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Re: Why we wear skirts and how does it feel?

Post by beachlion »

For me it started with the feel of comfort and freedom in movement. That is still the main reason for me. Being slightly exhibitionistic played a small rôle but also discrimination, why girls can and boys can't. That last part is becoming stronger now and resulted in wearing not too high heels a few times. Still comfort is the main reason and every time I have to show up in pants, changing back into skirts amplifies that feeling.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

I wear skirts because it's my relative identity. And it feels just fine.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

I wear them because they are very comfortable.
I would rather wear them any day over trousers.
Alas stupid society says men can't wear skirts.

Roomy, breezy, comfortable, what more needs to be said.
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.
Jetblasted

Post by Jetblasted »

I saw this posted recently and I thought I’d share.

I wear them because they are very comfortable.
I would rather wear them any day over trousers.
Stupid society says men can't wear skirts.
Roomy, breezy, comfortable, what more needs to be said.

<end quote>
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

"Why do I wear skirts?" That's a complex question as it touches on so many facets of who (and what) I am, so the answer is quite predictably complex, but the basics of the matter boil down to "comfort", "I like the way they look on me", "I enjoy the sensations of wearing one", and "I like being a bit different from the herd."

Basic comfort is easy: there's no inseam and no complex convergence of fabric happening right in an area with, shall we say, "sensitive anatomy" in it. Depending on the type of skirt worn, they can be light and breezy or very cosy and warm -- ranges of options that just aren't possible with trousers.

"Sensations" is different from, but related to "comfort". This facet relates more to the fact that in lightweight summer-weight skirts I am much more aware of the environment around me whilst wearing a skirt than I ever was in trousers. "Getting a bit of wind under one's skirt" (but not too much) is something all of us should experience at some point in our lives, especially on hot muggy days.

There's also the point that I just think skirts look better on me -- and I look better in skirts -- than I ever did in trousers. Depending on whim, weather, and what I'm doing I can wear something light or heavy, in lengths ranging from floor-length to a bit shy of immodest, and in fabrics in many different textures, weights, colours, and styles. They allow me to express the sense of joy I get from them,

Finally, I am not a herd animal: I am an individual and entirely unafraid to stand alone. As the old crack goes, "You laugh at me because I'm different. I laugh at you because you're all the same."
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

I was formulating an answer to this question when I read CR's post I was thinking that he read my mind while he was writing his reply.

A little adjunct to his comments I also feel that I look better in skirts ,maybe its because I take a little more effort when I dress .

His last comment about being a little different also hits home. I have spent the majority of my life trying to fit in and slipping under the wire ,afraid to be different.

now I don't care I have somehow gotten the balls not to worry if I am a little different

one last point I also get a kick out of confusing people Most of the time I am also wearing my Vietnam veterans ballcap and people start to say the well appreciated "Thank you for your service" and stutter mid sentence when they see the skirt
skirtpettiman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtpettiman »

I like the comfort of wearing skirts and not having my man bits trapped in ball crushing trousers especially in hot weather. Even in cooler weather I still prefer to be skirted; keeping my legs warm by wearing either a midi or an ankle length denim skirt with above the knee socks and petticoats. I like the sensation of petticoats swishing against my legs. I regard myself as being toward the girly end of the masculine spectrum and I also like wearing long flowy tiered gypsy skirts.
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

crfriend wrote:"Why do I wear skirts?" That's a complex question as it touches on so many facets of who (and what) I am, so the answer is quite predictably complex, but the basics of the matter boil down to "comfort", "I like the way they look on me", "I enjoy the sensations of wearing one", and "I like being a bit different from the herd."
That covers most of it for me, but I'll add,

I get contrary when someone tries to stop me doing something if they have no good reason.

I have started exploring other aspects of clothing, combining some things, and removing others. This provides many fascinating hours of thought and research, though to be truthful, it often frustrates me when I can't buy certain things "because there is no market" I have had no luck persuading my company to make a version of the Elkommando.
Epiceneguy
Distinguished Member

Post by Epiceneguy »

As with nearly everyone else it is a comfort thing and the right skirt/dress does look good on a guy
When life gives you lemons, slice them and put them into your G&T!
steamman

Post by steamman »

Agree with everything that has been said so far. Skirts are awesome to wear with how they look and feel.

Until I started to openly wear skirts (and heels) in public, I felt like a 2nd class citizen as I would see women openly expressing themselves freely through their clothes and nobody would dare challenge and I wondered why I couldn't do it. It took a big change in my mindset to realise I could. I've absolutely no issues with women expressing themselves, but fundamentally as men, we have the same rights as they do! Although people are generally becoming more tolerant of peoples right to be individuals, we aren't there yet as a society, and I do wonder how long it will take before people don't look twice at a man wearing a dress.I suppose gender equality and fluidity is helping in this respect but it is a slow process. Until then, I will continue to express my individuality through skirt and heel wearing. It is simply awesome to go out and be who you truly are. Men need to realise they CAN do it and the only thing that is stopping them is the wrong mindset.
new2skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by new2skirts »

steamman wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:34 am Agree with everything that has been said so far. Skirts are awesome to wear with how they look and feel.

Until I started to openly wear skirts (and heels) in public, I felt like a 2nd class citizen as I would see women openly expressing themselves freely through their clothes and nobody would dare challenge and I wondered why I couldn't do it. It took a big change in my mindset to realise I could. I've absolutely no issues with women expressing themselves, but fundamentally as men, we have the same rights as they do! Although people are generally becoming more tolerant of peoples right to be individuals, we aren't there yet as a society, and I do wonder how long it will take before people don't look twice at a man wearing a dress.I suppose gender equality and fluidity is helping in this respect but it is a slow process. Until then, I will continue to express my individuality through skirt and heel wearing. It is simply awesome to go out and be who you truly are. Men need to realise they CAN do it and the only thing that is stopping them is the wrong mindset.
Herd mentality for most guys... but looking on Instagram, things are changing. Even searches of posts of "kilts" will show quite a few skirts in the mix. For me, comfort and variety. Can feel a little vulnerable, and can be a little colder than regular trousers (especially with stockings on :shock: ) but it's great for reactions :wink:
Formerly Kilty / Joe Public etc...
hiddenheels

Post by hiddenheels »

I'm new to the skirt wearing (only mini-skirts though)... But they feel comfortable, and I just love how they look on me! Pair it with some heels and it's an amazing feeling! I don't wear other "female" cloths, but have been into the heels for as long as I remember. Just recently started branching out, and boy, I didn't know what I was missing!
BobM
Member Extraordinaire

Post by BobM »

moonshadow wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:48 pm
Socially I admit I believe they have isolated me, or at least contributed to that isolation. I've lost friends, and basically lost family over it. Everyone is embarrassed to be seen with me so.... yeah. I underestimated how vain the people in my world are. I constantly struggle to retain any love for humanity on account of this. I hear of supportive people online, but sometimes I wonder if that's just one big internet hoax... some computer algorithm that just spits out support for various issues to keep people like me from killing ourselves.
Moon, people are fickle, friends aren't. A friend is someone who knows you, warts, foibles and all, and likes you anyway. Those who predicate friendship on conformance to their preconceived notions are not friends, they are would be manipulators. Family is a bit
more awkward because family members often assume they have an inherent right to criticise or even shun those who don't conform to their expectations. Blood is not always thicker than water. I look at family like this: this is who I am, take it or leave it. It is sadly true that although everyone talks about love few know what it is. "Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things". People, be they friends or family, are mostly herd critters who are only comfortable in a uniform environment. They intensely dislike having to re-evaluate their world view, and will vigorously resist anything outside their personal comfort zone.

Hang tough. You aren't the one with a problem.
Ordained Deacon and Ruling Elder, Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Well said Bob!
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
skirtedbrit
Distinguished Member

Post by skirtedbrit »

I agree with most comments especially the one by Happy-n-skirts. I too had painful post op pain from surgery took to skirts and dresses to stop the constriction and ease the pain. That was 12/13 years ago and my only regret is that I didnt do it sooner. I am an outdoor type living in the country and love hill walking in skirts for the freedom of movement, keeping cool and lack of discomfort caused by friction. I have worn skirts and dresses all over the UK and Scandinavia without any problems. I had a dress made for my 70th which went down well with everyone including the hotel and restaraunt staff. More recently I had a cocktail dress made but the lockdown means nowhere to wear it!