Why we wear skirts and how does it feel?

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Why we wear skirts and how does it feel?

Post by Big and Bashful »

Faldaguy wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 12:39 am Hola B&B;
Diabetes is certainly a nuisance if not more -- my diet has been altered as I eat what MOH provides as the chief evening cook, and she has to tend her diabetes -- yet, we have found many benefits and delights as well in our ever altering and growing repertoire of good scarfing. It sounds like yours may have arisen from the hemochromatosis....which makes me think of the old Barber Poles and blood letting...I do hope they have better ways of tending that now! Meantime, we once found that the McDougal diet was effective in weaning us of our sweet tooth, though I have fallen from the wagon a few times and my skirts are prompt to tell. :wink: Salud.
Well the treatment for haemochromatosis (spelt the UK way) is still primarily bloodletting, although for those who for whatever reason cannot take a pumpout apparently there are chelating drugs which erm trap the iron or something. They haven't started me on any treatment as yet, the doctor is still waiting for the genetic test results to come back. Once they start pumping the rust out of me apparently it stops most of the damage getting worse and sometimes the organs may recover at least partially. I think I have maybe done too much research, too many highly qualified professors telling doctors stuff; Apparently they don't know why but the damage to the joints isn't stopped by reducing the iron levels to normal, it still continues and can still spread to more joints. Anyway, I am glad I know more, not knowing is much more stressful than knowing the future, even if the future is more rusty than rosy!
Last night, walk number 2, in my favourite skater skirt, the wind had dropped and it was cool, the skirt felt great.
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

I can answer both parts of the question with one answer; because they feel great to wear.
After some years of wearing skirts and trying various styles:
Summer: almost any mini skirt is cool and comfortable.
Hot weather: Skater style skirts in cotton, viscose or linen are very cool, almost like wearing nothing.
Physical activity: Micro length denim or mini length pleated allows extreme leg movement without material dragging on knees and thighs like pants do and no cramped space where an inseam would be.
Winter: A snug stretch mini or a pleated tweed mini with long thigh-high socks.

Identity: Nowadays, for people who see me often, the mini skirt has become my signature garment. I feel like I am pretending to be someone else when I wear pants.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
miloshlavka
Distinguished Member

Post by miloshlavka »

Why do I wear skirts? For several reasons.
First of all, for a similar reason as a lot of other participants of this forum: for comfort - especially in the hot summer.
I have already become known for this in our town, and perhaps I would disappoint some of my fellow citizens if I stopped doing it. :)

And then also as a protest against those who consider wearing skirts by men to be the end of this civilization.
I am thinking, for example, the politician Radim Fiala (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radim_Fiala) from the SPD (Svoboda a přímá demokracie = Freedom And Direct Democracy - or democrazzy??? - Czech far-right party). He noticed that at the gymnasium (Czech analog(-ue) of grammar school in the U.K or high school in the U.S.A.) in Blansko (town in the central Moravia) there was an event "Another does not mean bad", to which several boys came in skirts and several girls in typically male clothes. He reacted to this with a hateful comment about" perverted gender theory " on his Fakebook profile (https://www.facebook.com/radimfiala.cz/ ... 873442174/). He probably forgot that "his" party had word "freedom" in its name. :) I think I will like to be that "perverted gender theory" for such type of persons. :)
Everyone should be honest and prudent: to keep promises and, on principle, never to promise anything to anyone.
Sorry for my English. I try not to make spelling mistakes, but for this reason my writing is very slow.

Miloš H., Nový Knín, Central Bohemia
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

Now I have started daily walks, every one has been skirted, or for a couple, in my new dress. It just feels great having the looseness and freedom of a skirted garment. Last night was a bit different, cold, windy and rainy, had a heavy ankle length khaki skirt, one of my favourites and one that is no longer too tight for me. This kept my legs warm, didn't feel too cold and wet, not like jeans would. As the wind was blowing across my path while walking the sea wall I found that just lifting the windward side slightly stopped it dragging at my legs as I walked. Again, I love that, the way a skirt affects the way I do things. Skirts are interesting in many ways that trousers just aren't.
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
SkirtsDad
Member Extraordinaire

Post by SkirtsDad »

One of the great plusses I've found with mini-skirts, or mini-dresses, and bare legs is that they dry off much quicker if you get caught in a sudden downpour. As bashful mentions, jeans have a habit of keeping your legs cold and wet. A similar effect on the feet is wearing ballet flats as opposed to closed shoes. I find my feet stay warmer and drier. No danger trench-foot!
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Funny. I thought all long-term Hampshire residents developed webbed feet to cope with the conditions. :?

I never wear jeans. Period. Love skater minis though and these get an airing out on the local moors when I take our security staff (big dogs) for a stroll.

Much nicer than shorts which are the alternative now 'Summer' is here.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
rivegauche
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rivegauche »

I wear skirts (and dresses) for all the comfort reasons everyone has said but there are additional ones. I have legs that look good in a skirt or dress so it gives me a chance to show them off and as with women's legs, they can look better with tights and/or heels. I also cross-dress but differently from most cross-dressers. I only wear make-up and a wig if I go out presenting as a woman, which I only do a few times a year, usually with a woman friend. I spend most of my time at home in a dress with everything a woman would wear (including a bra and forms) but not make-up or wig. I probably move a bit less like a male when in a dress but do not adopt female body language at home. I have tried the dresses without the bra and forms and except for a few jumper dresses it doesn't work. For me the aesthetics of the clothing are very important - all the clothes and accessories HAVE to work together. This generates seratonins/endorphins all day long and who wouldn't want these on constant stream? There is no sexual element or gender confusion involved but society does not have a box for that. If I went out in these clothes without presenting as a woman it would annoy some people for the reason Grayson Perry gets criticism because he doesn't dress like a real woman. Once you add the bust you are in different territory from most Skirt Cage patrons. I often leave it out if in a skirt and top but as I aim to look elegant when I get dressed, I do what works for me. I have been told I look better in a dress than in male clothes but that has always been with a bust, tights and heels. So I am basically going for an elegant look that is aesthetically pleasing to me and it makes me feel good. The last few times I have gone out with my friend with me dressed and presenting as a woman I have realised that I would have enjoyed the experience the same whatever I wore, so mostly now this is just for my own enjoyment at home. To sum it up I can spend most of the day dressed like this every day, often all day, and it makes me feel good because I look good.
TSH
Distinguished Member

Post by TSH »

I don't wear skirts, often (at least not in public), but my personal reasons aren't any different from what others have already said, here. They offer so much, and I'm just talking about the dozen or so short skirts that I have. I haven't even tried out ones [i]below[/i] the knee.
Epiceneguy
Distinguished Member

Post by Epiceneguy »

I'm pretty hit and miss about when I wear skirts or dresses in the same way I am about shorts, jeans and tracksuit bottoms, it really does depend upon how I'm feeling and what's the most practicable
When life gives you lemons, slice them and put them into your G&T!
skirtpettiman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtpettiman »

I wear for comfort; no constricting of the nether regions as in trousers (pants for you U.S. types). In summer I typically wear either a midi length denim skirt or an ankle length unisex wrap skirt, bit like a sarong, with a thin slip or petticoat underneath so I don't have to wash the skirts so often. In cooler weather it's time to layer up: I can wear the midi length denim skirt with a ruffly tiered multi layered petticoat underneath for warmth or wear an ankle length denim skirt with layers of tiered maxi gypsy skirts underneath as petticoats which keep me very warm; much warmer than wearing jeans.