the beach or changing robe

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

the beach or changing robe

Post by weeladdie18 »

Today being a wet and windy start to autumn , I visited my local beachwear and surfing shop. The beach changing robe in its latest style
is alive and kicking . I was informed that this garment has been on the market for 5 years. The larger size has male or female patterns .
The smaller is called a child 's size.....I purchased an adult male garment for £35 . .....A long garment with short sleeves and a hood .
Made so the wearer can remove the bottom of the wet suit and dry themselves whilst naked underneath the robe .
Could be worn as a robe on the beach whilst wearing other clothes underneath the robe.
The material is a form of micro porous towelling
Worth experimenting with as an alternative form of unisex beach wear . This could lead the male to explore other forms of male robe.
Ideal for wearing on a beach under a waterproof coat on a wet day.

Anyone who knows a bit about clothes making could put some tacks into the garment to improve the outline.
The garment reminds me of a monk's habit.
Happy-N-Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Re: the beach or changing robe

Post by Happy-N-Skirts »

Any pictures, web site, where to get one?
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

Google and you will find it.

If you can spare two beach towels you can make one of your own.
https://www.thesprucecrafts.com/sew-a-s ... be-2977341
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

My supplier in a local beachwear and surfing shop informed me these garments have been on the market for 5 years and are popular so most of the
stock is sold each season. ...The local children go sailing with a local charity sailing school.
They arrive at the site in their educational school bus , wearing their wet suits and return to school wearing their robes over their wetsuits
as they are not allowed to change out of their wetsuits out side of their own school showers. ..Please do not ask me why . I have no answer.

Try your local beach wear or water sports wear supplier. Google should produce an answer near The enquirer' s location .

Swimming and water sports are popular these days . However stock may be depleted as we are near the end of the holiday season .

I will measure up my garment to give the standard male size beach towels required ....With the micro porous material the robe can be used as
a towel whilst wearing the garment.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

beachlion wrote:Google and you will find it.

Thanks for info Beach Lion....My garment is very wide so the Average size adult wearer can remove their wet suit trousers under the robe.
I would guess the garment is wider than the average width around the wearer's upper arms , chest and shoulders.

Be warned that the label which says adult size is sold as a child's size .
I successfully wore my beach robe out to lunch over a sweater and under a summer skirt and sports jacket as it was a cooler damp day.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

My understanding is that on The Continent that folks just change in the open without feeling they need to hide anything. Anyone know if that's still the case?
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

I can imagine a garment like this becoming quite popular.
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

Jim wrote:My understanding is that on The Continent that folks just change in the open without feeling they need to hide anything. Anyone know if that's still the case?
Nudity is not much of a problem on the continent. Nudity as such is not a crime but obscenity or lewd behavior is. I used to visit nude beaches where available. If not and I had to change, I did it right on my towel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYZxcCPGzm8&t=2294s

From minute 35 to about minute 38, you can see how the Dutch did it in the early 60s.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

I have little need for such an item, but we have one for sale at my store, and it has a healthy markdowns, due to some very minor flaws. Seriously tempted, it's XL, and generously cut, so it fits fine. (If "fit" is the right word for something like this!)
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

beachlion wrote:Google and you will find it.

Beach Lion.. Thank you for your reference. The introduction states that this garment can be used for lounging about at home

For my beach robe I would suggest that a newspaper pattern is used to check the size of the garment ...A larger wearer may need a wider garment.
I would suggest starting the project by making a scale model to ensure the dimensions are correct.

The robe consists of front and rear rectangular panels . height of each panel ....46 inches
................................................................... width of each panel.... 39 inches

sleeve holes in each upper vertical side of joined panels .........10 inches

vents in lower vertical sides of each joined panel...................6 inches

width of unstitched neck hole in horizontal top of panels.........18 inches

hood can be added once design is complete
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

partlyscot wrote:I have little need for such an item, but we have one for sale at my store, and it has a healthy markdowns, due to some very minor flaws. Seriously tempted, it's XL, and generously cut, so it fits fine. (If "fit" is the right word for something like this!)
might be suitable for lounging around in at home . With a sweater underneath or possibly worn with a belt.
I have worn mine underneath a full summer skirt and with a jacket......Good warm layer of clothing at the right price
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

weeladdie18 wrote:
partlyscot wrote:I have little need for such an item, but we have one for sale at my store, and it has a healthy markdowns, due to some very minor flaws. Seriously tempted, it's XL, and generously cut, so it fits fine. (If "fit" is the right word for something like this!)
might be suitable for lounging around in at home . With a sweater underneath or possibly worn with a belt.
I have worn mine underneath a full summer skirt and with a jacket......Good warm layer of clothing at the right price
There's no way I'm wearing this under anything, it's more a tent than a dress!
shadowfax
Member Extraordinaire

The People's Poncho

Post by shadowfax »

weeladdie18 wrote:Today being a wet and windy start to autumn , I visited my local beachwear and surfing shop. The beach changing robe in its latest style
is alive and kicking . I was informed that this garment has been on the market for 5 years. The larger size has male or female patterns .
The smaller is called a child 's size.....I purchased an adult male garment for £35 . .....A long garment with short sleeves and a hood .
Made so the wearer can remove the bottom of the wet suit and dry themselves whilst naked underneath the robe .
Could be worn as a robe on the beach whilst wearing other clothes underneath the robe.
The material is a form of micro porous towelling
Worth experimenting with as an alternative form of unisex beach wear . This could lead the male to explore other forms of male robe.
Ideal for wearing on a beach under a waterproof coat on a wet day.
Anyone who knows a bit about clothes making could put some tacks into the garment to improve the outline.
The garment reminds me of a monk's habit.
The People's Poncho as a waterproof over a beach changing robe might work well on a wet day? :wink:
One could even carry a rucksack (backpack) over the robe but under the poncho, to keep the rucksack's contents dry.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Shadow Fax .Somewhere in the labeling my Beach Robe is itself called a poncho.... I have seen the hikers with their ponchos over their back packs.

I have a long waterproof light weight below the knee smock for a wet day .

These last couple of showery days I have been wearing an elasticated summer skirt over my Beach Robe with my trusty sports jacket.
To stay dry I have been wearing my Green Plastic Inverness Cape over my outfit .... Nearly down to my ankles .

Just to confuse the issue , my Inverness Cape was marketed by a company in Glasgow. Try googling ...waterproof Inverness Cape.

I would describe the cape as a sleeveless plastic mac with a cape down to the waist. Practical and stylish when worn with a Traditional Scottish Kilt ,
but not easy to put on with buttons on the main garment and also on the Cape .

The proper Inverness Cape is a form of waterproof Mackintosh with a tartan lining .