Real difference between a kilt and a skirt?

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
GerdG
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Real difference between a kilt and a skirt?

Post by GerdG »

Stu wrote:Imagine you were a schoolboy and your school had decided a new, season-based uniform policy. That would consist of trousers for all in the colder months, but you were invited to vote on what should be the summer uniform for both sexes, and the options were (1) shorts; (2) lightweight kilt or (3) skirt of the same style that girls already wear. Which would you choose? I can see advantages in each.
A girl's style skirt. A lightweight kilt might, afterall, look pretty much the same, so why not simply the skirt?
GerdG

There ARE viable alternatives to trousers.
GerdG
Member Extraordinaire

Post by GerdG »

trdrl92 wrote:
What do you call your garment of choice? Is it strictly a kilt and not a skirt? Do you just not care and call it what it really is, a skirt? Are they interchangeable to you? Do you only own kilts? Or do you have a mix of men’s kilts and women’s skirts in your closet?
Most of my skirts are kilts, traditional and non-traditional, meaning that I have also skirts designed for women.
Most people will call my kilts kilts. But I’m OK with people calling them skirts, because that they are, even if special ones. Depending on the situation I will call them either kilts or skirts.
My bottom line here is this: What is the REAL difference between a kilt and a skirt?

A kilt is a knee-length wrap skirt, on the front with overlapping aprons going from hip to hip, on the back it has a lot of pleated (most often tartan) fabric, and at each side one high grade strap and a buckle (to the right sometimes two) to fasten the skirt.

Or look at it this way:

A Mercedes-Benz is a car, but not all cars are Mercedes-Benz. But when seeing it, everybody immediately knows, whether it is a Mercedes or not. The same with a kilt. A kilt is a skirt, but not all skirts are kilts.
GerdG

Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stu »

GerdG wrote:A girl's style skirt. A lightweight kilt might, afterall, look pretty much the same, so why not simply the skirt?
There are certainly some that look the same, Gerd, and they may even be referred to as "kilts". However, this style is more usual and I think you would agree it would be hard to call this a kilt:

new2skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by new2skirts »

GerdG wrote:
trdrl92 wrote:
What do you call your garment of choice? Is it strictly a kilt and not a skirt? Do you just not care and call it what it really is, a skirt? Are they interchangeable to you? Do you only own kilts? Or do you have a mix of men’s kilts and women’s skirts in your closet?
Most of my skirts are kilts, traditional and non-traditional, meaning that I have also skirts designed for women.
Most people will call my kilts kilts. But I’m OK with people calling them skirts, because that they are, even if special ones. Depending on the situation I will call them either kilts or skirts.
My bottom line here is this: What is the REAL difference between a kilt and a skirt?

A kilt is a knee-length wrap skirt, on the front with overlapping aprons going from hip to hip, on the back it has a lot of pleated (most often tartan) fabric, and at each side one high grade strap and a buckle (to the right sometimes two) to fasten the skirt.

Or look at it this way:

A Mercedes-Benz is a car, but not all cars are Mercedes-Benz. But when seeing it, everybody immediately knows, whether it is a Mercedes or not. The same with a kilt. A kilt is a skirt, but not all skirts are kilts.
Some Mercedes aren't even Mercedes...
fake-mercedes-ev-cars-china-2.jpg
China is very good at its fakes, so take care :roll: There's very few fake skirts out there...although this could apply to the knock-off ebay kilts that say "Authentic" in the listing header :mrgreen:
Formerly Kilty / Joe Public etc...
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

new2skirts wrote:Some Mercedes aren't even Mercedes...
Well, Mercedes Benz does manufacture what I call "Testosterone trucks" (aka "Stupid Urban Vehicles), but the branding target on the grille is clearly wrong for the proper German marque so as not to run 'foul of trademark and branding law.

That said, Mercedes branded (with the proper logo) T-trucks are a real pestilence in these here parts, usually un-piloted by bimboes on cell' 'phones who aren't paying attention to their driving. I usually assume that when I see one it's "driverless" and give it a really wide berth.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
GerdG
Member Extraordinaire

Post by GerdG »

Stu wrote:However, this style is more usual and I think you would agree it would be hard to call this a kilt:

I agree, Stu. A skirt like that is not even kilt like. I was thinking of tartan skirts, looking like traditional kilts, just being short and lightweight - and perhaps to be wrapped the other way around.
GerdG

GerdG
Member Extraordinaire

Post by GerdG »

crfriend wrote:
new2skirts wrote:Some Mercedes aren't even Mercedes...
That said, Mercedes branded (with the proper logo) T-trucks are a real pestilence in these here parts, usually un-piloted by bimboes on cell' 'phones who aren't paying attention to their driving.
But that does not apply only to trucks with the Mercedes-star on them, crfriend.
A truck can be a Mercedes-Benz, like a skirt can be a kilt.
GerdG

Skaterswaltz

Post by Skaterswaltz »

I agree too Stu. We are Skirt Cafe after all, not the Kilt Club. I’m for out and out skirt wearing. If someone argued that a choice I have is a kilt, so be it. My ideal one is in the picture Stu’s posted. Maybe even shorter. There are many pictures out there of men rocking this type of skirt.
The feeling and sensation you get from the pleats is heaven, and the reason I began wearing skirts in the first place.
GerdG
Member Extraordinaire

Post by GerdG »

Skaterswaltz wrote:I agree too Stu. We are Skirt Cafe after all, not the Kilt Club.
Who said anything about a kilt club, Skaterswaltz? Why don't see the kilt as a skirt? Some men prefer long skirts, some like knee length skirts, some mini skirts, some pencil skirts, some A-line skirts, others wrap skirts, some of them being traditional kilts or mini-kilts.
We are men in skirts, whatever kind of skirt we wear, aren't we?
GerdG

r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

GerdG wrote:
Stu wrote:However, this style is more usual and I think you would agree it would be hard to call this a kilt:

I agree, Stu. A skirt like that is not even kilt like. I was thinking of tartan skirts, looking like traditional kilts, just being short and lightweight - and perhaps to be wrapped the other way around.
This is not a kilt - lacking the overlapping wrapping aprons in front (pleats never in front or on the apron)
The black color would be OK - tartan plaid is the norm acceptable but solid colors are too
Hem length is OK - kilts have been longer and shorter indeed much shorter
But this is NOT a kilt !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
lazerr
Member Extraordinaire

Post by lazerr »

I know that actual "Kilt enthusiasts" have a real definition of what a kilt is, but to me, a kilt is a skirt garment that has a second panel in the front. I find this second panel to be very useful, and most of my skirts have it in some form. I just feel I need the second panel for comfort and appearance, because of the bulge that is there otherwise. OK, I admit, a-line works usually, and the front pleated ones are also ok for this purpose, but nothing beats that extra panel of cloth.
Skaterswaltz

Post by Skaterswaltz »

Very sorry GerdG. My bad. I think I’ll back off from posting and read the more sage