Shaving legs?

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
trdrl92

Shaving legs?

Post by trdrl92 »

I’m naturally not very hairy. If you saw me down the block in a skirt, my legs would look almost hairless. Up close, they look almost hairless. The hair isn’t very thick, and there really isn’t even a lot of it. I’ve always been curious to see if my leg hair would grow back thicker if I shaved it all off, and I’m also curious if other men who wear skirts shave their legs. We’re getting into those really warm summer months, and now would be as good a time as any to see what my legs would look like if they were shaved. Should I go for it? Will the hair grow back thicker? Anyone here for/against shaving your legs?
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Re: Shaving legs?

Post by beachlion »

About two weeks ago I shaved my legs. I'm quite hairy, almost cave man like. So without the hair you feel more of the breeze and also the fabric feels different when it touches the legs.
I used an electric razor and once a week I do some maintenance. I like the feeling so I will stick to it for the time being.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
vendeebeaches

Post by vendeebeaches »

I shave my legs once a week during the summer bare leg skirt wearing months. It feels great, lovely and smooth. I usually put moisturiser on after shaving.
Darryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Darryl »

Back in 2007 when I started wearing support hose I'd shave with a Shick Quattro and liked it so I added the Quattro for Women and shaved toes to temples in my Saturday shower with a touch-up Wednesday night. Then after a little research I bought a small battery-operated rotary trimmer and started catching any rough patches whenever they were felt.

Hosiery felt and worked better, skirts felt better. Still do, although with aging some areas grow quite sparsely.

I totally moved to a Norelco BodyGroom electric shaver.

in my opinion/experience removing body hair helps when wearing hosiery, especially pantyhose, and by removing body hairs that catch and retain moisture and give bacteria a place to grow and create body odor it also makes the skin look better when using an essential oil-based moisturizer with a hint of cherry blossoms or coconut. Arms and legs look awesome even if not wearing tan or similar hosiery.

Trimming and moisturizing regularly I recommend - hosed/bare legs with skirts look much better.
rivegauche
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rivegauche »

I reckon leg hair looks horrible on all humans and if you are going to expose your legs in shorts or a skirt you should shave them. If you are going to add tights then sheer tights make leg hair look ridiculous. I have kept my legs hair free for about ten years.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

rivegauche wrote:I reckon leg hair looks horrible on all humans and if you are going to expose your legs in shorts or a skirt you should shave them. If you are going to add tights then sheer tights make leg hair look ridiculous. I have kept my legs hair free for about ten years.
It seems opinions differ. I like the look of leg hair on all humans. It looks like petty vanity to expose shaved legs in shorts or in a skirt. :wink:
Stevie D
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stevie D »

It's very much an individual thing. Shave if you want, don't shave if you don't want. There are no rules.

Personally, I like to be smooth, so I use a Braun Silk-Epil 5 epilator on my legs, arms, armpits and chest. The regrowth tends to be fine to begin with although if I were to stop epilating altogether, the hairs would eventually grow back pretty much at their original strength. Generally a whizz round with the epilator once every three or four weeks is all that's needed.

The feeling of cool air and a nice swishy cotton skirt on freshly de-haired legs is lovely. :D
Stevie D
(Sheffield, South Yorkshire)
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

In short, NO I don't shave my legs.
I never really figured out why women do it. Seems like a complete waste of time.

I shaved my legs on two different occasions to try it. Didn't care for it at all.
My wife didn't care for it either!!
Now that I wear kilts some in public, I would want to have hairy legs anyways, I have no interest in going for any feminine look. That's the hardest thing I have with convincing my wife, I just like the wear skirts, she keeps thinking what's going to be next?
I have no interest in going any further.
So I make sure i present male in all other aspects, with the exception of the skirt. And the skirts are not frilly or super fem looking.
I'll never understand Why did man ever completely give up the skirt in western culture? It makes it incredibly hard to bring skirts back to "our" side
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

mishawakaskirt wrote:I'll never understand Why did man ever completely give up the skirt in western culture? It makes it incredibly hard to bring skirts back to "our" side
I think it was probably a side-result of the French Revolution when men in Europe fell away from "fanciness" in favour of "blending in", possibly as a rejection of the excesses of the French nobility. Everybody else under European influence then pretty much followed. If there isn't a direct correlation there's plenty of indirect evidence that was right around that time that skirts finally disappeared as an option for men.

As far as shaving of legs goes, it's definitely down to personal preference and if you can't abide the idea then don't shave -- it's as optional as whether one grows a beard or not. I do, but that's because I can't grow a decent pelt and unshaven my legs look like the moths have been at them: in other words, "it ain't pretty." I actually started shaving them before I adopted skirts.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Logjam

Post by Logjam »

I don’t post here a lot, but on this topic...

I don’t often shave my legs as I don’t really need to. I’m an older guy (72) and when I started balding some years ago, the leg hair did the same. None of the other body hair changed, just top of my head and legs. No way I do occasionally shave the remaining “peach fuzz” that still appears, just as I shave the remnants on my head. I prefer a consistent look. Aside from a friendly inquiry by my nail tech as she was doing my pedicure, I’ve never had any comments.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

4000 years ago I was asked to impersonate Marlene Dietrich for a '20,-30s-40s show put on by my local drama group and sing the song 'Lily Marlene' and I agreed, not knowing what I was in for.

The make-up lady found a glittery straight floor-length gown, Ladies size UK14 which had a front slit up the left leg as far as was not quite decent and she insisted I shave not just that leg, but both of them! sheer stockings, Strappy large heels and a cigarette in a long holder under a blond wig did the rest, aided by overhead lighting and a wonderful pianist/accompanist, we pulled it off.

After which I pulled all that gear off until the next performance night, but after that show the legs rapidly reverted to their densely forested Neanderthal state, never to be shaved again!

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

I shave. It feels and looks better. Clothing feel is enhanced and my legs look much smarter.

No vanity. No femininity. Just my preference. Nobody has ever questioned my bare legs. It’s just not a thing.

Quite happy to see all leg types, hairy or bare - but if you’re going to wear sheer hosiery, matted hair under the hosiery is not a good look in my view.
new2skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by new2skirts »

Ray wrote:I shave. It feels and looks better. Clothing feel is enhanced and my legs look much smarter.

No vanity. No femininity. Just my preference. Nobody has ever questioned my bare legs. It’s just not a thing.

Quite happy to see all leg types, hairy or bare - but if you’re going to wear sheer hosiery, matted hair under the hosiery is not a good look in my view.
I have very fine hair, but I still shave if I am not wearing stockings or tights. Hairy legs and a tight pencil skirt - aside from guys in kilts - doesn't look great..It goes with the territory of wearing a skirt, and it's associated items. Sometimes I might have them waxed, but generally a de epilator works :)
Formerly Kilty / Joe Public etc...
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

I have been shaving my legs since they decided to get splotchy with the hair growth. As I grew older the hair on my body took on a very splotchy look. It grew in some places and not in others. So I decided to get rid of it and started to shave and now I keep it shaved as well as my chest and stomach since it too was doing the same thing. It is not so much vanity as I think it looks nicer.

Fred
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

I shave mine once a week... and believe me, the day before... things are starting to get itchy.

It's somewhat of a chore, but I sure like the smooth feel of freshly shaved legs, and its aesthetically pleasing too! Many of my skirts rate on the "femme" side and probably wouldn't look nice with hairy legs.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.