Shaving legs?

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Shaving legs?

Post by r.m.anderson »

beachlion wrote:
denimini wrote:
beachlion wrote:Recently I noticed that opening the fridge or the freezer is a whole new experience with shaved legs. ;)
My mother used to say "Don't just stand there with the door open" :)
That is what my mother said too, so it must be true. ;)

I meant I never noticed the stream of cold air escaping from above mentioned appliances. We have a freezer part in the lower halve of the cabinet. When squatting in the door opening to reach inside I have to do it quickly to avoid frost bite. ;)
Gee - I thought the statement was "If you can't stand the heat - get out of the kitchen" !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
nzfreestyler
Member Extraordinaire

Post by nzfreestyler »

I prefer smooth legs

I used to get a regular full leg wax 6 weekly and my bikini line waxing every 7-8 weeks but then I made the move to permanent removal.
It cost more upfront but no more maintenance ever after 7 sessions - that was years ago.

I don't have to do anything now - I love that! I recommend the investment. I feel I need to have good full legs because I wear skirts all the time, and do like to wear short shorts/minis too.

ps. on a side note I do remember the feeling of freshly waxed/shaved legs - and it made things feel colder - and it almost felt as though it wasn't your own legs that brushed against something? Sounds weird - but thats how it felt for me.
Nowadays though - if you keep hairless you get used to it - and I don't get the sensation anymore.

In my opinion though - legs look much better smooth. And I try to keep high standards of presentation
SkirtRevolution
Member Extraordinaire

Post by SkirtRevolution »

I personally love the look and feel of shaved legs. I have been doing it now for years. I also think that skirts look better with shaved legs and I say that because I think we have been conditioned to seeing skirts with shaved legs. Hairy legs and skirts tend to look 'out of place' (not that I am saying men have to shave, but its just how we have been accustomed over the years). I also think that a skirt is better received (if one is noticed by the public) if your have shaved legs as it looks like every other skirt wearer.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

SkirtRevolution wrote:I also think that skirts look better with shaved legs and I say that because I think we have been conditioned to seeing skirts with shaved legs. Hairy legs and skirts tend to look 'out of place' (not that I am saying men have to shave, but its just how we have been accustomed over the years).
Maybe that's why I react so positively to women not shaving their legs! But I felt that way long before I started wearing skirts.
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

A few weeks ago I bought a pack of cheap safety razors. I'm completely new to what we call "wet shaving (nat scheren)" in the Netherlands so I tried it dry, lazy as I am. The results were slightly better than an electric razor. The next time I tried it under the shower. The results were a little better but I was still not there. The third time I used water and soap and that did the trick. My legs became very smooth, also when you felt against the grain. It shaved so well that I cut a few pieces of upper skin from my knees. The result was quite bloody.
Next time I will do the long haul, upper and lower legs, with the safety razor and the knees electric. I'm learning all the time.

The strange thing is that even with that little stuble removed, it felt cooler and the fabric of the skirt was more noticable.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

Once you get addicted to the feeling of depilated legs you can’t go back. I was never particular about the razor, although I always use shave gel over cream. But then I tried the Gillette Venus five blade disposables. I can get about a month’s worth of twice weekly shaves before I toss one in the recycling. The operation is much smoother and though they aren’t nick-proof, nicks are rare. I always have nick issues around my kneecaps and Schlatter’s knobs. Beach lion, I recommend using some type of exfoliating scrubber on your legs before shaving, either a loofa or a nylon mesh bunchie. I think maybe ther removal of dead skin and opening the follicles is what makes the following shave somewhat more smooth in result.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

I understand why women shave their legs is typically the hair grows slowly and is sparse.
Before I went on an estrogen regimen about 9 years ago I had a lot of hair on my legs. Now I shave my legs only once a month to clean things up.

John
Chirp
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Chirp »

I have been fighting leg swelling and rash's on my lower legs, But I have almost beat that. But all my hair on my low legs stopped growing,
No one mess's with a big guy in kilt
nzfreestyler
Member Extraordinaire

Post by nzfreestyler »

You do get used to smooth legs - and it is much better in my opinion smooth.
I used to get waxed, then had permanent removal years ago when I realised skirts were going to be a big part of my wardrobe going forward.

Aesthetically I think smooth legs look better with a skirt - especially if your hemline is mid thigh or above the knee.

cheers
NZF
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

I never thought there would be a difference between a two-bladed razor and anything more, but I received, by chance, a sample razor of a five-bladed Gilette Sensor (for women)...and now I will never go back. Who'd a'thunk it?
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

dillon wrote:I never thought there would be a difference between a two-bladed razor and anything more, but I received, by chance, a sample razor of a five-bladed Gilette Sensor (for women)...and now I will never go back. Who'd a'thunk it?
Talk about new style razors I saw an ad for a two way womans razor. You can push and pull it up and down your legs it has two heads.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

trdrl92 wrote:I’m naturally not very hairy. If you saw me down the block in a skirt, my legs would look almost hairless. Up close, they look almost hairless. The hair isn’t very thick, and there really isn’t even a lot of it. I’ve always been curious to see if my leg hair would grow back thicker if I shaved it all off, and I’m also curious if other men who wear skirts shave their legs. We’re getting into those really warm summer months, and now would be as good a time as any to see what my legs would look like if they were shaved. Should I go for it? Will the hair grow back thicker? Anyone here for/against shaving your legs?
I too am not very hairy. Thin splotchy hair on legs and chest and none on my back. Shaved my legs and pits one time for Hallowe'en. Stubble wasn't fun, and a day later pantyhose were no fun again. So, when I finally committed to ignoring the gendered rules, I moved to an epilator and never looked back.

Shaving and creams are ways of keeping hair. They are for people who might want their hair back someday, and on short notice.

Epilation is for people who don't want the hair to come back. It might come back, but much more slowly, and after enough epilation, perhaps super slowly. I go months now. I don't think the hair on my legs would ever come back to its normal weight. I have heard this from women who wax their legs too (though I have no idea why anyone would go through the rigmarole of waxing when they could just epilate).

Put me in the "for" column. My soap and antiperspirant expenses are probably a tenth of what they were before, and a pretty skirt just looks better with pretty legs (while a rugged manly kilt doesn't look any worse for not being above hairy legs).
Daryl...
geron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by geron »

dillon wrote:I never thought there would be a difference between a two-bladed razor and anything more, but I received, by chance, a sample razor of a five-bladed Gilette Sensor (for women)...and now I will never go back. Who'd a'thunk it?
Is there a difference in performance between the five-bladed women's razor and the five-bladed version for men?
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Daryl wrote:Epilation is for people who don't want the hair to come back. It might come back, but much more slowly, and after enough epilation, perhaps super slowly. I go months now. I don't think the hair on my legs would ever come back to its normal weight. I have heard this from women who wax their legs too (though I have no idea why anyone would go through the rigmarole of waxing when they could just epilate).
They both share about the same amount of pain. but the epilator is not messy as the wax is.

I have tried both and prefer the epilator. I have one but still do not like the pain involved. :(
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
nzfreestyler
Member Extraordinaire

Post by nzfreestyler »

Fred in Skirts wrote:
Daryl wrote:Epilation is for people who don't want the hair to come back. It might come back, but much more slowly, and after enough epilation, perhaps super slowly. I go months now. I don't think the hair on my legs would ever come back to its normal weight. I have heard this from women who wax their legs too (though I have no idea why anyone would go through the rigmarole of waxing when they could just epilate).
They both share about the same amount of pain. but the epilator is not messy as the wax is.

I have tried both and prefer the epilator. I have one but still do not like the pain involved. :(
I spent years waxing and then had IPL/VPL to get an even better result - and also save expense and time in the long term. I haven't waxed or shaved or epilated for over 5 years. My legs are really smooth.

I found waxing better - and way faster than epilating. I had it done at the salon - because I found being waxed by someone else is way faster and doesn't hurt as much - in fact I got used to waxing where it didn't hurt at all really. I had full leg and bikini wax every 4-5 weeks.

Here's my summary of hair removal option from worst to best:

depilatory creams (home only)
takes a bit to do full legs (can't recall how long but it can be slow)
over time and use hair becomes more coarse
ingrown hairs common
very quick regrowth - you can feel it within days
you must exfoliate a lot to get best results (avoid ingrown hairs)

shaving (home only)
short term temporary result
reasonably quick for full legs (20mins)
hair becomes more coarse
ingrown hairs common
quick regrowth - you can feel it within days
you must exfoliate a lot to get best results (avoid ingrown hairs)

epilating - home only (no Salon option I know of)
short term result - but very very slowly reduces regrowth rate
very slow for full legs - much much much slower than waxing and not as thorough removal of hairs
hair becomes more finer
hair regrowth is slower
ingrown hairs less common
continually slower regrowth - it can be around a week of smoothnerss but everyone is different, but it does last longer over time
only downside is you need about 3-5mm regrowth before you can epilate again.

waxing (Salon or home)
short term result - but very very slowly reduces regrowth rate
slower for full legs (salon time = 45mins, perhaps double it for home)
hair becomes more finer
hair regrowth is slower
ingrown hairs less common
continually slower regrowth - it can be around a week of smoothnerss but everyone is different, but it does last longer over time
only downside is you need about 5mm regrowth before you can wax with best results again.
(means you really have to plan when to wax vs when you need smooth legs)
definitely recommend getting salon waxing if you have sensitive skin - and they can sugar wax more sensitive areas.
point for the uninitiated salon waxer - 'full leg wax' does not do your full leg - you need 'full leg wax' and 'bikini line' waxing to get your full leg. 'bikini line' is not 'brazilian' etc - it just takes the waxing from upper thighs where a 'full leg' waxing ends- to your bikini/panty line, which might sound bad - but is the sensible thing to do.

IPL/VPL - Salon Only
permanent irreversible result
slower for full legs (salon time = 60mins)
This treatment doesn't remove the hairs - they stay there.
You must shave as well when you are getting IPL/VPL. (you cannot wax)
hair treated in each treatment NEVER grows back.
Typically 5-8 treatments results in perfect legs.
treatments are a hair-growth cycle apart - around 6-8 weeks apart for each treatment (wax inbetween)
Every treatment your legs get better - and if you stop treatments you do not loose progress, then years later you could continue to finish off
There is no downside to IPL/VPL
And it doesn't hurt at all.
As for Salon waxing - you need 'full leg' and 'bikini line' IPL/VPL.
I have had this and I swear by the smooth results !

hope this waffle helps some
NZF