TRUTH

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Re: TRUTH

Post by dillon »

We have eastern diamondbacks here, but they stay within about ten miles of the coast, which puts me a bit out of range at 20 miles, except in the "Carolina Bays" region of pocosins and sand ridges.

Timber rattlers, however, are common. When I was a rookie agronomist, wading a good distance out into a field of soybeans infested with the weed called 'sicklepod', the farmer had a bit of sport at my expense. He told me "You know, the biggest rattler we ever killed was right about there, where you're a-lookin...'" Then he produced a rattle from his pocket that had about 20 segments and was at least nine inches long. Now, if you don't know sicklepod, when the pods are mature and dry they rattle, and sound just like a rattlesnake. I quickly pronounced his beans to be fully in healthy condition and evacuated the field. He then confessed, in laughter, to having glued two rattle-tails together to produce that impressive item! We had a decent laugh, and my cargo shorts were still unsoiled, so it was fine.

We don't have pygmy rattlers or coral snakes, so far as I know, although the SE corner of NC is just within their potential range. They may advance with the warming climate, as alligators are into Virginia.

A former associate of mine, who was a sales rep for Deltapine, also ran a business that caught critters in folk's houses, usually crawlspaces and attics, including snakes. He got a call from a land clearing contractor near Turkey Creek, NC, about 20 miles SE of me, that there was a rattlesnake on a lot they were clearing that refused to leave, and the builder's workers wouldn't work while the snake was there. My associate went to catch the snake. It was an eastern diamondback, 9 feet 9 inches from head to rattles. He took it alive, and that snake remained for several years a guest in Wilmington's former Serpentarium, until its recent closing following the death of the owner (not by snakebite). I saw it there. No damn way would I have tried to catch it, not if I had a shotgun to my name, of which I have three.

My nephew is relocating to Phoenix AZ, for the second time. When he and his family arrived at the home he had purchased, just a couple days ago, a diamondback awaited them on their terraza. It crawled off, but my nephew has no idea where it went... :shock:

I encountered a diamondback on a hiking trail in Big Bend National Park a few years ago. It wouldn't crawl away, despite stones tossed to encourage it to do so. I gave it a wide berth in passing.

Yup, it had to be snakes...
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
Skaterswaltz

Post by Skaterswaltz »

I guess we’re the group most familiar with one-eyed skirt snake. :roll:
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

The Netherlands is not home for many snakes. In the drier east part of the country are adders but you don't hear much of snake bites. So snakes were not part of my daily surroundings, we did not grew up with snakes in our parks and woods.
When I was on one of my bicycle vacations in France in the 80s, I was looking for a place to sleep. Sometimes I used a campsite and sometimes I slept in the woods. One evening I decided to sleep in the wild. I was in central France in a wooded area. I found a nice spot along a small trail that went from the road into the dense wood. A few times I saw signs on trees with the text "ATTENTION VIPÈRES". My french was not that good so I thought it was to warn you of crossing deer or wild boar. I slept like a prince and only when I came home, I found out what a vipère was and the signs were only placed if the place was really dangerous.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Sometimes it pays to learn a new language!! :lol: :lol:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
trdrl92

Post by trdrl92 »

Skirts are better than *anything