Skirts in front of alot of people

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Skirts in front of alot of people

Post by Faldaguy »

I confessed here that I had avoided flying in a skirt out of fear of TSA types creating delays or hassles, but several here at Skirt Cafe noted as they have above, to flying without incident -- so I gave it a go; and guess what -- yea, you got it --nothing untoward happened, just another day in a skirt! So, I've not made a lot of flights skirted yet, but half a dozen now and no more doubts --thanks guys.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Re: flying skirted, MB rightly pointed out that a lot of metal bits belong to a kilt and weaing one onto a flight would definitely not be recommended. Best a totally fabric pull-on elasticy skirt.
Alas I fly very seldom and usually in company which dictates conventional attire, but I pack some unbifurcated kit for use when I get 'there'.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

On flying in a kilt, I've flown in a kilt a good few times, always in utility kilts, with lots of buttons, pockets, etc.

I've had them not set off the metal detector in some airports. Often they ask for the big thick leather belt I'm wearing with it to come off (even if they let folks through with normal belts), so be ready for that, and maybe go with one that stays up without the belt.

I've also had them cause minor issues for the naked body scanner gizmos. Those resulted in a TSA officer patting down the empty pockets and/or my thigh (over the kilt), at least once with apologies and something about the scanner not really being programmed right for kilts.

I also had a TSA officer note (at the ID check point) that he has a Utilikilt at home as well. That was kind of cool.

In all, not a big deal. Empty your pockets, be ready to take off your belt, and go through like normal.
Layne

Post by Layne »

I routinely fly kilted. Can’t offer any insight to body scanners as I possess a KTN - so I bypass that particular device. Never had an issue, though I’ve learned to just remove any kilt pins in advance.

I’ve recently made a couple of trips wearing one of the SkirtCraft skirts - it too caused absolutely no issue.
stephanie53

Post by stephanie53 »

Today started with a wonderful forecast. warm(mid 60F), lots of sun, and minimal breeze. Today is a skirted day :D . Couple inches above the knee, nice rummy top with full sleeves, and sneakers. Today is also a big game day(super bowl). First stop food. Both stores were packed, and I mean packed. everybody buying everything. First stop was service desk to get money orders, Then wander the aisles with a cart, getting stuff. No one seamed to care, but I'm sure some looked. Didn't get any reaction. Nice conversation with both check out people. Next stop car wash(automatic). Next a nice walk on a bike trail. Everyone super friendly, saying hi and waving, but no comments. The sun felt great, and so did the quietness, so I hiked the skirt up abit to get more sun on those white leggs. Felt great to be in a skirt. Definitely will do it ALOT MORE, when I can make the time.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

It can get addictive, can't it? I get withdrawal symptoms often.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

stephanie53 wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 9:31 pm Today started with a wonderful forecast. warm(mid 60F), lots of sun, and minimal breeze. Today is a skirted day :D . Couple inches above the knee, nice rummy top with full sleeves, and sneakers. Today is also a big game day(super bowl). First stop food. Both stores were packed, and I mean packed. everybody buying everything. First stop was service desk to get money orders, Then wander the aisles with a cart, getting stuff. No one seamed to care, but I'm sure some looked. Didn't get any reaction. Nice conversation with both check out people. Next stop car wash(automatic). Next a nice walk on a bike trail. Everyone super friendly, saying hi and waving, but no comments. The sun felt great, and so did the quietness, so I hiked the skirt up abit to get more sun on those white leggs. Felt great to be in a skirt. Definitely will do it ALOT MORE, when I can make the time.
People do look, and people do notice, but, 99 percent of the time, passersby are too wrapped up in their own lives and affairs to care about a man in a skirt. So, go forth and enjoy your outings.
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Hi Stephanie53
Enjoy, smile and engage with your fellow earthlings most will be just fine.
I don't think that I have had more fascinating conversation than since I adopted the skirt.
Steve.
Midas
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Midas »

Surly the whole point is that we don’t give a toss for what people (as in random people we don’t know) think?
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Midas wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 2:05 pmSurly the whole point is that we don’t give a toss for what people (as in random people we don’t know) think?
Well, yes and no. It's better to leave a good impression than a bad one, but much of that's beyond our control -- especially with marginal or "hard" cases.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Midas wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 2:05 pm Surly the whole point is that we don’t give a toss for what people (as in random people we don’t know) think?
Hi Midas
Just to expand on Carl's, "it depends".
The whole point is certainly for me to be free to wear whatever I so choose.
My reaction rather depends on if, when and how anybody shares their thoughts.
Not giving a toss for what people think may just send us all to hell in a handcart.
As I said earlier, I relish all the interactions that wearing skirts has created.
Good, bad or indifferent, they have all added something to my day.
Steve.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Midas, if you want to know more about wearing skirts irrespective of what others think then read a sample of Moon's posts. Despite living in an area that he admits should be difficult because of the demographics and assumed attitudes of the people and he has documented difficult ( and good ) encounters. I can't say that I have had any problems apart from my family and I think that a lot of their opposition comes from siding with my wife who can be quite a formidable character. She's a redhead too! :wink:
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

If you want opinions about your skirts, Go get your hair cut at a men's barber shop. (not a styling salon) I just had the first hair cut since the lock down started and I go to a men's barber shop. (I needed it bad! :lol: ) What you find there are men from all walks of life and beliefs about what men should wear. I have been using this shop for about 40 years or so. The last 10 skirted. Today I was warmly welcomed into the shop by the owner and only had to wait for the person in the chair to finish, While I waited 3 more men came in. One of them I knew from before the lock-down, He nodded and I nodded back one of the others was a construction worker. He asked me how I was doing and we chatted until my turn in the chair. Not one mention of the knee length skirt I was wearing.
The only thing that marred the day was the price has doubled from $10.00 US to $20.00 US. Since I normally get a buzz cut and it only takes him about 3 minutes to do it he only charged me $15.00 US. Before Chinese Covid I only paid $8.00 US for the same hair cut. He also has let all of the other barbers go just to make ends meet, he almost had to close for good.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Does around 300 people count as a lot?
That was the audience figure at the talk with Zandra Rhodes that I attended this week and this is what I wore.
I managed to ask her for her views on fashion freedoms for men.
While she is highly in favour she said that making it mainstream will be a "very hard sell".
A most enjoyable and interesting evening.
BTW it was damn cold. The coat was staying on!
Steve.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

That's a really classy dress, Steve. Particularly like the neckline. Her answer was interesting and shows that maybe the top fashion designers understand the male psyche and the introduction of men's skirts will not be an overnight sensation. Maybe they are doing a great deal in fashion freedom and, as we know, the male resistance is very, very high.