National Tartan Day Saturday April 6 2019

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

National Tartan Day Saturday April 6 2019

Post by r.m.anderson »

FYI -

Saturday April 6 2019 unless you are across the date line is "NATIONAL TARTAN DAY" in the USA.

You don't have to be Scottish; Irish; a member of a clan or fraternity or even a resident of the USA to celebrate this not so promoted 'Holiday' of sorts.
So you missed St. Pat's day or the Mardi Gras - here is another day to celebrate and you don't have to wear the obligatory 'Green' or even be green with envy.
Just get out and about and have a good time and it is a good excuse to wear that tartan skirt with or without pleats - kilt pin Sporran not necessary as for those
flashes - you will be flashy enough !

If you are Moonshadow - wear something floral it will suit the occasion just as well
If you are Skirtsdad - wear anything - well at least something reveling (not revealing LOL)
Surely the rest of you can find something in that closet to toast the event

Since this is posting on April 1st - this is not a Fools joke - wearing unbifurcated gear is not a folly unless you want it to be !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Re: National Tartan Day Saturday April 6 2019

Post by STEVIE »

Hi RM
A few thoughts have just occurred to me about this.
There is no equivalent celebration in Scotland and I would doubt how many of my countrymen would know the significance of the date.
I suspect that more Americans than Scots will be wearing Kilts or even kilts on the day.
Dare I say that may also be true on a daily basis too?
I may just wear my fifth cousin eight times removed of the kilt myself but I sure won't be in "troosers".
Thanks for the timely reminder.
Steve.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Stevie....A good friend once told me................The Scots only wear their Kilts in America......
.............................................................But the Americans always wear their Kilts in Scotland...........
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

STEVIE
A good question .....are there more Cornish ,Irish and Welsh than Scots in America...........?

The Bretons and the Northern Europeans wear their Tartan Kilts with Pride

The American Marine Vets, the Jewish Clergymen and the Christian Church Ministers have their own tartan....

There is a claim that there were originally more Pictish Scots than Gallic Scots in Scotland

Why do you choose to skirt the issue ?...........L.O.L.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

The segment of Americans who claim Scots descent form the sixth largest racial/ethnic minority in the United States.
I have no idea about other extractions and frankly do not care enough to do the painstaking research.
The plethora of "tartans"commissioned from such diverse sources would appear to render this pointless in any case.
There is no issue, I will be wearing a skirt of some sort on the sixth.
The style of which will be solely decided by me and not dictated by a mere date in the calendar or some vague notions of spurious tradition.
Finally, I'm sure that R T Bruce Esq would have approved and that is enough for me.
Steve.
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

Gallic suggests French. Do you mean Gaelic?
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Ray wrote:Gallic suggests French. Do you mean Gaelic?
If I remember correctly , I am speaking regarding the Scottish Gauls.....Rather than the Welsh ,Irish ,Cornish and Bretons ,
who consider themselves to be Celts,.... since the Roman Invasion

The Picts were said to reside in the N.E. of Scotland.........However the whole story of the Anchient Tribes is open to debate....
Some Historical References are not believed to be correct
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

As the weather has improved recently, ....up to yesterday, I had worn my traditional Scottish Kilt for six days in succession....
As today is American National Tartan Day, so I wore my Traditional Scottish Kilt for the seventh day in succession
and visited an Old Cornish cairn in an old mineral mining area on the Cornish Coast

Peaceful and wind swept in a temperature of 12 C.....I am a Kilt Wearing Minority in my old age ....It was perhaps an unusual way to spend
The American National Tartan Day...Perhaps some may consider wearing 8 yards of tartan is an excessive way to remember your Tartan Day...

Still .... wearing a comfortable Warm Kilt for a week, ..is a good way to start a Kilt wearing season.........weeladdie
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Another useless piece of information ,yesterday was my aniversery for joining the Skirt Café,
so I have survived another year of my life...........weeladdie
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

weeladdie18 wrote:Another useless piece of information ,yesterday was my aniversery for joining the Skirt Café,
Another trip 'round the sun, so good on ya!

I completely forgot that today was "National Tartan Day" but one of the regulars at my local hadn't and mentioned that he had precisely "no clue about [my] attire", but that, "a plaid is a plaid". My attire on the day -- since I'd forgotten about the event, was my black/white "print-plaid" short skirt with black tights with light-blue fishnets overlaid, and with a black dress-shirt, red brocade waistcoat, and a Blues Brothers themed neck-tie bearing :On a mission from God" repeating on it.

If I'd recalled that it was National Tartan Day I'd have worn my long green plaid skirt. I explained that to the chap, but I suspect he still remains in the dark as far as my drivers go.

Of note was that there were precisely no hostilities nor innuendo involved which I shall call a win.

Life is pretty good. Even in a world where everything is more important than everything else at work.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

crfriend wrote:
weeladdie18 wrote:Another useless piece of information ,yesterday was my aniversery for joining the Skirt Café,
Another trip 'round the sun, so good on ya!

Carl...Thank you for referencing my first year in the Skirt Café as .... Another trip 'round the sun .....
An interesting adventure exploring my person identity in perfecting my personal identity as a Man in a Skirt Outfit.....
Another brick in the wall for Men in Skirts

The whole concept of America's National Tartan Day mystifies me........However wearing a bit of tartan never hurt anyone ,
.....so why not go with the flow............I am off for another trip 'round the sun..........L.O.L............weeladdie
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

Past Saturday I represented the McDenim clan as I went shopping in a skirt made of the same fabric as jeans. I'm afraid nobody noticed my effort or mission. ;)
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

I was in the local café and had a chat with a gentleman who introduced himself as an Amateur Archeologist. ...He explained how the
Anchient stone circles were used to plot the position of the sun for the four seasons so the Ancient crafts such as planting the crops ,
collecting the berries and searching for seasonal prey to hunt or fish to catch could help Anchient Man to survive.....

It is reasonable to assume that a study of the movement of The Moon and Venus would help man to navigate during his travels
and trading activities to survive.......My new found friend has studied sites in Europe ,Africa and the Middle East......

The complexity of trading has caused the Rise and Fall of Anchient Empires......
The migrations and interbreeding of tribes has created the modern world as we know it................

The opening gambit of my new friend was to note that I was wearing my Traditional Kilt today...but I had been wearing a skirt yesterday......
We spoke of our family roots and how various tribes had travelled trough Europe....It is interesting that everyone I meet has a different
story to tell regarding their family's history.......

This does explain why some modern males have chosen to wear the Traditional Scottish Kilt................
However we have yet to come to any conclusion why our friends in the Skirt Café ....have chosen to attire themselves as Men in Skirts
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Speaking of National Tartan Day it is perhaps interesting to understand why U.S.A. has a national tartan day,.......as I have been lead to believe
that the Scots are only the sixth largest nation to migrate to the U.S.......

It has been suggested that scraps of tartan or multi colour woven woollen material have been found which pre date the time
at which the Scots and Irish started wearing their Great Kilt as an over garment....this find does change the perspective
of the origins of tartan and The Kilt , as we know it......So what are the Origins of National Tartan Day.....?
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

weeladdie18 wrote:So what are the Origins of National Tartan Day?
I haven't the foggiest notion, but I was called out (somewhat) for not wearing a proper plaid (nevermind a proper tartan) at my local -- even though I was wearing a skirt.

Oh, well...
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!