Skirts to dresses

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Skirts to dresses

Post by weeladdie18 »

Mercury ..one of the complicated issues is not how we see ourselves in the mirror when we are dressed to go out......
But how Joe Public will see us when we are out on the Street..................

It rather depends upon how one projects the persona of the image one wishes to create.................
There is a bit of skill required in discovering what Joe Public will accept out on the street................

The usual comment when we get back from our travels is " No Problem "
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

I'm no psychology major, most likely the jump from skirt to dress difficulty is because with a dress it is just you and the dress.
You don't have a male shirt to hide behind.
Hence why some of you feel comfortable covering the top half with a jacket.
Dresses are made for womens proportions. So the fit is almost never right on a guy.

You figure, how can you go wrong with a skirt. Two holes, one for your waist and one for your feet.

As long as it fits your waist. It will fit the rest of you.
No matter what sex you are. The only exception would be too long of a skirt on a short person might pose a tripping hazard.

While I have a few dresses.
I find I rather wear skirts.

The top portion of the dress is all wrong 97 percent of the time. Two low of a neck line, snug sleeves and or shoulders, too much fabric in the chest, too tight at the belly. So not worth the hunt.
I wear a size 18 skirt on average. The dress would likely have to be 24 to 26 to fit the upper half of me.
Then the rest of it would look so baggy.
I don't bother looking at them any more.

Skirts fulfill the simplistic desire of wearing a practical open bottomed garment.
That's why I came to this party.
It's not about pushing the envelope.
It's not about fashion.
It's not about being gender variable.
It's not about exciting fabrics or colors.
(While I have found some cute skirts with neat colors or fabrics, I consider that a added bonus to skirting, not a driving force to waning to wear skirts.)

Comfort is key.

I still don't understand why skirts are so unpopular.
I'd take a knee length Aline or circle skirt any day. Over the best comfortable, designer trousers.

I would love to throw out my trousers. But would have to throw out most of the people in my life at the same time.
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Skirt, dress or whatever, "Joe Public" will likely react in one way or another.
Within certain limits that reaction need not be of any great concern.
No skill required except selective nonchalance and a ready smile.
I haven't noticed any difference and certainly no comments.
Steve.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

In my sewing projects (or rather, experiments) I have emphasized garments that hang from the shoulders. One concept I keep coming back to is the house dress. I'm interested in an airy garment that will let your whole body breathe.
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

Grok wrote:In my sewing projects (or rather, experiments) I have emphasized garments that hang from the shoulders. One concept I keep coming back to is the house dress. I'm interested in an airy garment that will let your whole body breathe.
Got any Islamic shops nearby? The perfect dress for a man is the thawb (aka thobe, disdash, etc.). I mean "perfect" in the sense that they are all made to be worn by men, and that is reflected in their cut and accoutrement. Very practical pockets, etc.. I only wear mine around the house because outside of the middle east they signal "I am a muslim" too strongly (whereas in the middle east anyone is likely to wear one, because they are just clothing). Most tend to be a little on the heavy side but that experience of whole body breathing is definitely there. I am tempted to go to a local maker with some modifications (like lighter fabric, softer collar, short sleeves, stopping just below the knee instead of just around the ankle) but am a bit circumspect about that. Maybe someday. They can also be ordered online quite easily.
Daryl...
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Hi Daryl
There is a certain poignancy in your post.
It is sad to reflect that a perfectly good garment is effectively taboo due to prejudice and plain ignorance.
That seems to sum up a lot of our modern day problems.
Steve.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Daryl wrote:
Grok wrote:In my sewing projects (or rather, experiments) I have emphasized garments that hang from the shoulders. One concept I keep coming back to is the house dress. I'm interested in an airy garment that will let your whole body breathe.
Got any Islamic shops nearby? The perfect dress for a man is the thawb (aka thobe, disdash, etc.). I mean "perfect" in the sense that they are all made to be worn by men, and that is reflected in their cut and accoutrement. Very practical pockets, etc.. I only wear mine around the house
Thanks Daryl......It does seem that these male robes are cut to hang from the larger male shoulders....Perhaps this is why some of the dresses
worn by the male., look too tight at the shoulders....Perhaps a dress which is cut with male shoulders would look more like a male garment.

I found a 19 centuary painting of one of the cavalry men at the Battle of Hastings in 1066. ....
He appeared to be wearing a knee length robe or dress and was bare legged.....It is unfortunate that if is hard to say how much artist's licence
was used in this painting............

On the wider perspective the male can successfully wear female clothes which actually fit him.............weeladdie
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

STEVIE wrote:Hi Daryl
There is a certain poignancy in your post.
It is sad to reflect that a perfectly good garment is effectively taboo due to prejudice and plain ignorance.
That seems to sum up a lot of our modern day problems.
Steve.
It is perhaps unfortunate that both the Traditional Scottish Kilt and Male unbiforcated garments worn as identified by the inhabitants
of other perhaps more tropical countries fall into the same category...............weeladdie
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

It is worth noting that the Figian Male Sulu was introduced to the male inhabitants of Figi,....by the Countries Imperial Rule.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Retired officers from the Kilted Highland Regiments went to Uganda to lead the Country's Army....
The native troops wore The Scottish Kilt in their Leader's chosen colour..............
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

As far as I am aware, ..The last of the Scottish Kilted Highland Regiments.....The Royal Regiment of Scotland ,... Employs Figian Troops .....
who wear Traditional Scottish Kilts ....which are made in Pakistan for the Ministry of Defence
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

How will the Men In Skirts ever find a suitable male garment to wear which will not offend any nation in the world ?..........weeladdie
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Daryl, I have some of them thawb things bought whilst on holiday in Egypt. I agree on their comfort and suitability and I only wear them around the house for the reason that you gave. They do shout Muslim. I wish that were different but the signals are what they are.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Sinned wrote:Daryl, I have some of them thawb things bought whilst on holiday in Egypt. I agree on their comfort and suitability and I only wear them around the house for the reason that you gave. They do shout Muslim. I wish that were different but the signals are what they are.
For that reason I won't be wearing these particular garments out and about.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

mishawakaskirt wrote:I'm no psychology major, most likely the jump from skirt to dress difficulty is because with a dress it is just you and the dress.
You don't have a male shirt to hide behind.
Hence why some of you feel comfortable covering the top half with a jacket.
Dresses are made for womens proportions. So the fit is almost never right on a guy.

You figure, how can you go wrong with a skirt. Two holes, one for your waist and one for your feet.

As long as it fits your waist. It will fit the rest of you.
No matter what sex you are. The only exception would be too long of a skirt on a short person might pose a tripping hazard.

While I have a few dresses.
I find I rather wear skirts.

The top portion of the dress is all wrong 97 percent of the time. Two low of a neck line, snug sleeves and or shoulders, too much fabric in the chest, too tight at the belly. So not worth the hunt.
I wear a size 18 skirt on average. The dress would likely have to be 24 to 26 to fit the upper half of me.
Then the rest of it would look so baggy.
I don't bother looking at them any more.

Skirts fulfill the simplistic desire of wearing a practical open bottomed garment.
That's why I came to this party.
It's not about pushing the envelope.
It's not about fashion.
It's not about being gender variable.
It's not about exciting fabrics or colors.
(While I have found some cute skirts with neat colors or fabrics, I consider that a added bonus to skirting, not a driving force to waning to wear skirts.)

Comfort is key.

I still don't understand why skirts are so unpopular.
I'd take a knee length Aline or circle skirt any day. Over the best comfortable, designer trousers.

I would love to throw out my trousers. But would have to throw out most of the people in my life at the same time.
I love your post....It is a very good perspective from which to study the life style of Men in Skirts.......
I would agree that your conclusion is unfortunately true in our modern lifestyle.......

I am trying to throw out my trousers, but would have to throw out most of the people in my life at the same time...........

I did successfully move from a working community in which I lived in for nearly forty years, to a community which in an area of the U.K.
which is a holiday area...The Incomers , like myself are now 92 percent of the male population.....