GQ magazine is telling us this is going to happen!

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Re: GQ magazine is telling us this is going to happen!

Post by dillon »

crfriend wrote:
Grok wrote:The fashion designers show no sign of understanding their would be customers.
I rather suspect that the designers are aiming their focus at the large corporate buyers than the end consumer. Whilst the buyer is going to be aware of the ways of the designers (which are geared to attract attention), the designer is likely not really thinking about the ultimate consumer on the street. Something stylish that would possibly appeal to the man on the street isn't going to be sufficiently bizarre to capture the eye of, say, a Wal-Mart (or Nordstrom's) buyer (who's buying for Wal-Mart, not the man on the street).
Not sure what the difference would be between a corporate buyer and the retail consumer aside from the strata of retail. Presumably retail chains keep their finger on the pulse of what the market supports and target the market segment they desire. Neiman Marcus would select mass-produced garments at a much different level of design, cost, and quality than more downscale retailers. Those buyers would tend to be somewhat more conservative in that regard. The typical clothing shopper doesn’t frequent Neiman Marcus. By intent the chain caters to more well-to-do clients who wear sizes more like a model might; exclusivity characterizes their target consumer. The fashion runway is a tool to put a designer name and affiliation in front of the high-end consumer, in the expectation that each new theme would ripple down-market. The ultimate bottom market is the mall store ala Old Navy, Gap, etc, where fashion may have only the most tepid and diluted elements of the runway remaining.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Well, if we gauge skirt wearing trends (male or female) by Walmart then we have to consider that Walmart generally doesn't even carry skirts, save for maybe certain times of the year.

The structure of Walmart is to only sell fast moving inventory, it's not a specialty shop. This tells me that in the grand scheme of consumer trends, skirts are not popular for anyone.

True, even in my ultra Pentecostal and traditional corner of the world, most women, and all but one man (me) generally wear trousers, though virtually all women who do wear pants generally wear the skin tight ones.

To be fair, females who wear baggy pants seem to be the non-conformist of their group. I wonder if they get razzed for it by their peers? :mrgreen:
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

I make a point of not gauging anything by WalMart, though I know that some of our associates on SC have bought skirts at WalMart. I don’t look for clothing there, and only shop there for a few items I can’t find in the meager selection of supermarkets around here. Sugar-free caramel macchiato coffee creamer, Skinny Girl salad dressing, and best prices on Angostura bitters and Tasters Choice instant coffee. But they do display muumuus in some inordinately large sizes, and right across from the potato chip aisle. :lol:
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Hey! Genderfied salad dressing!

Wait.... can I eat that and still be a...... macho man?

:lol: :rofl:

:mrgreen:

:flower:
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

moonshadow wrote:Hey! Genderfied salad dressing!

Wait.... can I eat that and still be a...... macho man?

:lol: :rofl:

:mrgreen:

:flower:
I dunno. I’m getting less macho every day. But it has only 5 to 10 calories per serving. So maybe I will get my schoolgirl figure back. :shock:
alexthebird
Distinguished Member

Post by alexthebird »

crfriend wrote:
Grok wrote:The fashion designers show no sign of understanding their would be customers.
I rather suspect that the designers are aiming their focus at the large corporate buyers than the end consumer. Whilst the buyer is going to be aware of the ways of the designers (which are geared to attract attention), the designer is likely not really thinking about the ultimate consumer on the street. Something stylish that would possibly appeal to the man on the street isn't going to be sufficiently bizarre to capture the eye of, say, a Wal-Mart (or Nordstrom's) buyer (who's buying for Wal-Mart, not the man on the street).
Regular consumers and retail buyers aren't even on the radar of the kind of fashion designers who deal with catwalk shows. They are focused on super wealthy "beautiful people," fashion writers and critics, other fashion designers, and upper crust tastemakers. The clothes are considered a kind of public art and are often judged as if they were mobile versions of what you might see in a contemporary art gallery. The ultimate dream for any of them is to have a selection of their couture shown in a museum like the Victoria & Albert Museum, The Decorative Arts Museum at the Louvre, the Galliera, or the Metropolitan Museum of Art.

These kinds of fashion shows are a tiny, tiny part of the fashion business but occupy an outsize presence in the general press (magazines like GQ or Cosmpolitan or similar) mostly because they seem so outrageous. That outrageousness is what drives the designers and the market they are designing for.

And for a little perspective, the last time I was in London my wife and I were browsing in Selfridge's (I've never actually bought anything in Selfridge's but I find it interesting to browse). I saw a pair of Balenciaga jeans for GBP 1,800. Think about that for a minute and you'll begin to understand the distance between the people who buy "fashion" and the rest of us.
DonP

Post by DonP »

moonshadow wrote:I don't think shows like this help things.... in fact, I think they might actually make it worse.

Why can't we just have "normal" skirts on display? Look I can respect that most guys won't be adopting the Moon Shadow style, but I think most of the guys on this website wear more practical skirts that stand a better chance of being adopted by other men..... but you never see those types depicted in these articles! It's always this crazy, off the wall stuff.

I can't really fault the commentors... they do look ridiculous.
I agree - they look ridiculous. Everyone has the right to dress as they like but, if you want to convince other men to try wearing a skirt, you have to convince them that they can still look manly while doing so. I've said it before, kilts are they number one garment to begin the change.