To Kilt or not to kilt?

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Re: To Kilt or not to kilt?

Post by Grok »

I think that kilts-outside of Scotland-are viewed as acceptable, but quite unusual. A bit of a novelty, actually.

I suspect that you are right about men in skirts, Mishawakaskirt; people don't know how to react.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Having been skirted now for over 5 years and having not worn trousers in all of that time I can say people do not care what you are wearing for the most part.

Sure there are some who will be on the offensive side of the line but most just go on like there is nothing to see here folks. I was in town this afternoon and had to visit the propane company to buy my propane for this winter. They never even batted an eye lash over the fact that I was in a skirt.

I find this to be the norm here in my neck of the woods it seems like it is a who the hel* :twisted: cares what you wear as long as you are wearing something.

I do believe that if I were wearing a kilt it would generate a lot of UNnecessary notice and questions as to whether I am of the Scots or not. I am not, but I am English so that counts doesn't it?? :lol: :king:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Hi Fred , I did not know you were English...Many English Folks have enough Scottish Blood in their veins to wear their Traditional Scottish Kilts with pride.
Most comments to my skirt or Kilt wearing activities are compliments or polite banter. I wear my summer skirts as common day wear , and wear
The Kilt when I feel like making an effort to dress in a more formal and traditional manner .
The lassies go wild when they see a Man in a Traditional Scottish Kilt .

The whole thing about wearing a summer skirt or The Traditional Scottish Kilt is to gain the experience and confidence to be street wise .

Current summer temperature in Cornwall U.K. 25 C to 30 C .....0.5 in of rain in 2 months
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gusto10 »

Mat I suggest to continue this thread under Kilts, Kilts?
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

weeladdie18 wrote:Hi Fred , I did not know you were English...Many English Folks have enough Scottish Blood in their veins to wear their Traditional Scottish Kilts with pride.
Most comments to my skirt or Kilt wearing activities are compliments or polite banter. I wear my summer skirts as common day wear , and wear
The Kilt when I feel like making an effort to dress in a more formal and traditional manner .
I am as English as my ancestors from 6 or 7 generations back make me. :D
Most came from the South of England I also have some French and German blood too. So I am so far removed from my ancestors that all I claim is American!
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Fred in Skirts wrote:
weeladdie18 wrote:Hi Fred , I did not know you were English...Many English Folks have enough Scottish Blood in their veins to wear their Traditional Scottish Kilts with pride.
I am as English as my ancestors from 6 or 7 generations back make me. :D
Most came from the South of England I also have some French and German blood too. So I am so far removed from my ancestors that all I claim is American!
Thank you Fred...I am interested in the migration of families or members of families....My parents came from a mixture of Scottish, Welsh, Irish and Mediteranean
Blood . My grand parents settled on the South Coast of England and I moved as far South West on U.K. mainland as I could get..Probably 3000 miles from America.

This produced an interest in Kilt Wearing with the Scottish Community who moved from Scotland to the South Coast of England with a transfer of their various
Government and contractors interests.

Down here in Cornwall the situation is much the same ...Much of the work is in satellite communications , defense industry , shipping ,fishing , and tourism.

There are many residents who have come from the old British Colonies . The whole area of Cornwall is a big melting pot with the remains of the WW 11 airfields
which imported many transatlantic Squadrons of Aircraft .

Kilt wearing Scottish Country Dancing was a popular past time on the South Coast . Meetings are held twice a week in many towns
This style of dancing is also popular in America .
Ref...Royal Scottish Country Dance Society.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

One of the visitors to an American based Scottish Country Dance Group suggested that the Kilt Wearing Scottish Immigrants
had stolen some of their dance steps from the traditional American Square Dances. ....L.O.L.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

One of the things about wearing a Traditional Scottish Kilt and a Tweed Kilt Jacket is that my female friends remark that I have made an effort
and do look smart....My tartan is a mixture of blue , Green and black. This colour mix blends into the background like a camouflage.
The Kilt , as a male garment is not particularly noticeable as a garment outline.

Recently I have gone back to wearing my old faithful Kilt which I have been wearing for forty years. ...
The Traditional Scottish Kilt is a heavy wearing garment which will last a lifetime.

I would suggest than any of my friends who wish to learn to wear the Kilt correctly , go out with a friend who is an experienced Kilt wearer and learn
the finer points of Kilt Wearing..... Great fun and a very comfortable garment to wear.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Steve ..My answer to one of your questions is that from my information : The Kilt is worn for private family functions.
The Kilt wearers are not seen in public. ...So one actually knows how many private Kilt wearing functions take place.
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

I’m Scottish and I have a traditional kilt. Therefore I am an expert at wearing a kilt correctly. Here are my suggestions on how to wear a kilt correctly.

1. The apron is at the front. The pleats are at the back.

That is all.

Ray
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

Hmm... Not sure how I missed this thread till now. It was opened by quoting me!
STEVIE wrote:Dust wrote
“Yeah, the baggage and questions are why I've never worn a tartan kilt, and probably never will. Not even the one of the tartans that anyone can wear. It's also got me looking to move away from kilts in general, despite all the good aspects of it.”

This is actually a bit of a pity. The Kilt really can offer the majority of advantages of going skirted without the “stand-out” factor.
I actually see a tartan kilt as having possibly MORE of a stand-out factor. But that depends on what you are comparing it to.

I've had mostly good experiences with wearing my Utilikilts and such out and about. I've also gotten a lot more attention than I wanted at times. I've had requests for photos (at least one from a total stranger), inquiries about my heritage or where I'm from (not Scottish, never been there), awkward questions about unmentionables (including in front of my wife!), and even been pointed out over an airport PA system. And that doesn't even count what may or may not be said behind my back (some of which I've heard). I have no idea if an actual Scottish kilt leads to more of this or not. I know some people enjoy any type of attention, but I tend to be low key and introverted, so it gets tiring sometimes.
GerdG
Member Extraordinaire

Post by GerdG »

Dust, I think you’re right, assuming that a tartan kilt will stand more out than other kinds of skirts. And so it must with all its colours. At least I have more reactions when in a tartan kilt than when in an ordinary skirt or utility kilt. That said; I feel the tartan kilt is much better accepted. Comments are always positive. And I think the inevitable question is just part of the game, and that this “maybe he’s naked under the kilt” actually makes the kilt more understandable to many people.
If you really want as little direct attention as possible, wear regular skirts. Most people are that polite that they don’t confront the subject of attention, should they disagree or find his choices ridiculous. They will keep their thoughts to themselves.

Therefore, in a short skirt worn with tights you should probably feel much more alone in the world than when in a tartan kilt or utility kilt. But give it a try, go wear a regular skirt for a couple of days and find out. Besides why either skirt or kilt? Why not skirt and kilt, each at its time, simply depending on your mood that day?
GerdG

There ARE viable alternatives to trousers.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

In my experience the man in the street is more likely to have seen a Kiltie than a man in a skirt.....
However the man wearing a Kilt is part of the Heritage of Scotland and it is recognised that the Traditional Scottish Kilt is traditionally accepted male wear.
The Kilt wearing male is more likely to attract some curiousity than a man in a skirt.
Some folks are just confused and cannot tell the difference between a skirt and a Kilt
I do not understand how members of this forum can suggest that a Traditional Scottish Kilt is a skirt by definition as the garments are historically worn
by different genders in different cultures and historically have a separate method of design and construction.

Perhaps this confusion is caused by a poor grasp of the English language as it is spoken and used as a form of written communication in The British Isles.
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

WL - I think I understand where you are coming from. The societal definition of a skirt does seem to be a long way from a kilt. It’s almost like comparing culottes with jeans.

Yet, like my comparison above, the two garments are part of the same group which I’d describe as skirted garments. This would also include sarongs, which are worn by millions of men. A kilt, denuded of its tartan, starts to look very much like a skirt. That’s because you can’t get away from the fact that with one barrel, not two, it’s unbifurcated.

I used to get upset when someone used to refer to my kilt as a skirt, probably with pejorative intent. Now, I just agree. Yes, it’s a skirt - but a special one!

In summary, I do agree with you - from one perspective.
skirtedbrit
Distinguished Member

Post by skirtedbrit »

Having hated suits with a passion all of my life I got rid of my last suit not too long ago and have one kilt for formal attire, one for informal use and one as a work kilt plus many skirts and dresses.
Get rid of that dreadful constriction of mind and body and enjoy the style and freedom of a kilt. My surname is Welsh and my formal kilt is a Welsh one with family name Tartan. Although I do not have much interest in fashion or style I feel really good when dressed up for formal occasions and a kilt is as good as moderate alcohol consumption as a social lubricant!!!