How many is enough to normalise us?

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Re: How many is enough to normalise us?

Post by Dust »

weeladdie18 wrote:Going back to the question in the title of this thread , .....I feel that the greater acceptance of the.... Man in a Skirt ..out on the street is perhaps
more important than the theoretical increase of the numbers of Men in Skirts........in some areas ,like Seattle ...local marketing of a " Man - Skirt "
regional fashion has produced a local regional high level of Men in Skirt sightings.....

I find that with the local temperature rise to normally above ....10 C ....the wearing of two ...below the knee summer skirts with bare legs and knee high boots
is delightfully comfortable again........I feel that the Regional Style of Men in Skirts is controlled by the air temperature.

Our own individual style of attire in many cases prevents Men in Skirts sightings from becoming a ....Regional Fashion....
I agree that regional pockets will help a lot. As you point out, in a few places like Seattle, it may already be happening. Both the Scottish kilt and modern utility/cargo varieties like Utilikilts are already basically accepted in most places. They are paving the way for more variety of skirts for men.

Practical considerations like temperature will always play a role as well. Change requires motivation. Not only do things need to be practical, they need to appear practical. Things like pockets and the ability to simply swap out for pants go a long way here. If people think you need other related items like special shoes, hose, a bag for your stuff, or other accessories, it will slow everything down. Even worse are things like shaving.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Well said Dust.....one thing I never do is to carry anything in my trouser pockets.....I wear my trusty sports jacket with six pockets or carry a simple
small kiddies back pack......Take off my trousers and put on a skirt............where is the problem ?
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

We are over thinking this problem...when you are out on the street ; ....observe how the young mother carries the daily requirements for her walking child.
She is not dressed like a police patrolman or one of our combat troops...
hairy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by hairy »

If only all the men who sit behind closed doors in skirts could venture out as they very much want to and be seen there would be more than enough for it to be seen as normal. There are so many in hiding and often hiding in fear from their wives too.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Hi Hairy
hairy wrote:If only all the men who sit behind closed doors in skirts could venture out as they very much want to and be seen there would be more than enough for it to be seen as normal. There are so many in hiding and often hiding in fear from their wives too.
This may be the answer to the original question. However, we can never know all the reasons why individuals are reticent about appearing in a skirt completely openly.
I'd suggest the number might be as high as the individuals themselves.
Steve.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

STEVIE wrote:Hi Hairy
hairy wrote:If only all the men who sit behind closed doors in skirts could venture out as they very much want to and be seen there would be more than enough for it to be seen as normal. There are so many in hiding and often hiding in fear from their wives too.
This may be the answer to the original question. However, we can never know all the reasons why individuals are reticent about appearing in a skirt completely openly.
Steve.
To be fair l, for many men... there is a lot to lose. Look at the friction of the members of this sites wives alone! It seems most women don't like the men in their lives dressing in skirts. Hell, I've all but lost my own mother over this! A MOTHER!

Then there is your profession. Many men have built their lifetime fortune on their reputation of being a certain kind of "man". They stand to lose business contacts, as well as close friends.

I can get away with this because I've always been a social zero anyway. I didn't have much to lose as far a friends go. As far as job profession I applied the scripture "what shall it profit a man to gain the world yet lose his soul?", and yes, I did lose the world. I nearly found myself on the street over it... but it worked out. However make no mistake, I'll never be anything more than I am now professionally. Most men won't accept such a lifestyle.

Oh well. It is what it is..
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Well said Moon....If we consider the female objectors to the Man in a Skirt possibly being both the wife and mother as S.W.M.B.O.
and other objectors being the community at large .......and the skirt wearers source of livelihood;
we are lucky to have enough Men in Skirts out on the street ,..... to form our own Webb Site..........L.O.L..............weeladdie
Elisabetta
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Elisabetta »

moonshadow wrote:
STEVIE wrote:Hi Hairy
Steve.
To be fair l, for many men... there is a lot to lose. Look at the friction of the members of this sites wives alone! It seems most women don't like the men in their lives dressing in skirts. Hell, I've all but lost my own mother over this! A MOTHER!

Then there is your profession. Many men have built their lifetime fortune on their reputation of being a certain kind of "man". They stand to lose business contacts, as well as close friends.

I can get away with this because I've always been a social zero anyway. I didn't have much to lose as far a friends go. As far as job profession I applied the scripture "what shall it profit a man to gain the world yet lose his soul?", and yes, I did lose the world. I nearly found myself on the street over it... but it worked out. However make no mistake, I'll never be anything more than I am now professionally. Most men won't accept such a lifestyle.

Oh well. It is what it is..
What you have money can’t buy. It’s Priceless and that’s an accepting wife. Maybe some people should actually learn something from me in how to live in this world and not worry over a piece of clothing.
"When life gets blurry adjust your focus."
eightofnine

Post by eightofnine »

weeladdie18 wrote:Well said Moon....If we consider the female objectors to the Man in a Skirt possibly being both the wife and mother as S.W.M.B.O.
and other objectors being the community at large .......and the skirt wearers source of livelihood;
we are lucky to have enough Men in Skirts out on the street ,..... to form our own Webb Site..........L.O.L..............weeladdie
My Mum barley tolerates me wearing a skirt ,she has been telling me what the other family mostly women have been saying behind my back rather than asking me .I have lost a few women friends because i told them what i liked to wear .
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

eightofnine wrote:
My Mum barley tolerates me wearing a skirt ,she has been telling me what the other family mostly women have been saying behind my back rather than asking me .I have lost a few women friends because i told them what i liked to wear .
You really need an advocate that knows everyone well enough to have their respect and talk to them, telling another story; that you are OK and it is fine for men to wear skirts. A group of people that can't think outside the square never will without external help. Most people will not ask the person directly. Your mum is probably not doing that job, being "barely tolerant" and in danger of being swayed by the prevailing opinion.

In my town I had a couple of people who knew my story and people would ask them and get the right story straight off. That was a great help to getting my skirt wearing accepted quickly. Hopefully your
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

denimini wrote: You really need an advocate that knows everyone well enough to have their respect and talk to them, telling another story; that you are OK and it is fine for men to wear skirts. A group of people that can't think outside the square never will without external help. Most people will not ask the person directly. Your mum is probably not doing that job, being "barely tolerant" and in danger of being swayed by the prevailing opinion.

In my town I had a couple of people who knew my story and people would ask them and get the right story straight off. That was a great help to getting my skirt wearing accepted quickly.
Having good backup is ideal. I've had a friend or two on my side and more who were accepting from basically the beginning. I still took it slow for a long time.

Some people also just have a personality where they can walk into a room in anything (or nothing) and walk out with a bunch of new friends. Not me, but I've seen guys do it. One guy I knew in high school, shaved his legs for no reason. He managed to make it the talk of the school, while staying one of the cool kids. No idea how he did it, but I'm pretty sure confidence was at least half of the battle.
Last edited by Dust on Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

I feel that if Men in Skirts are prepared to go out on the street and answer curious questions from the female ..then Men in Skirts are likely to survive
as a style...and be accepted ....Perhaps the general fear of Joe Public is that perhaps we are not normal hetrosexual males

I am not clear what the big deal is regarding wearing a skirt instead of trousers......Jenn made a fair comment in so far as a skirt is only a piece of cloth

This does come back to the suggestion that Joe Public tries to put Men in Skirts in their own little box......It is fair to say that Men in Skirts
will not fit into other peoples little boxes.................weeladdie
Elisabetta
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Elisabetta »

weeladdie18 wrote:I feel that if Men in Skirts are prepared to go out on the street and answer curious questions from the female ..then Men in Skirts are likely to survive
as a style...and be accepted ....Perhaps the general fear of Joe Public is that perhaps we are not normal hetrosexual males

I am not clear what the big deal is regarding wearing a skirt instead of trousers......Jenn made a fair comment in so far as a skirt is only a piece of cloth

This does come back to the suggestion that Joe Public tries to put Men in Skirts in their own little box......It is fair to say that Men in Skirts
will not fit into other peoples little boxes.................weeladdie

Don’t worry over fitting into anyone’s liking only of your own. If you enjoy wearing skirts than it’s nobodys else’s business why you do it. The problem today is everyone’s looking for everyone’s approval than realizing you don’t need it. Most females are probably upset most men look good in skirts, kilts and etc. They feel intimidated because the main power they once think they had to control men is no longer in their hands. It pisses them off so they make a ruckus over it. I’m one of many that support Moon and others to be themselves.
"When life gets blurry adjust your focus."
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

I went out in my black sunray pleated skirt again today....What is the big deal regarding the Man in a Skirt.....?

Am I missing something........???????????................L.O.L.
TheSkirtedMan
Member Extraordinaire

Post by TheSkirtedMan »

JennC03 wrote:What you have money can’t buy. It’s Priceless and that’s an accepting wife. Maybe some people should actually learn something from me in how to live in this world and not worry over a piece of clothing.
Well said. My wifes sentiment as well.

For me, I am retired, did so when my wife did, but I ran a garden maintenance and design business and lost not one of my regular clients when I decided to go public and had no problem with ongoing new clients. Still maintain 1 day a week, summer months only for maintenance only for a few clients. Friends maintained, new ones acquired. One or two distant family members raised points when they finally heard but they only come into our life at christenings, weddings, and funerals and quite often not even then and certainly had no social interaction. Have had no issues within voluntary roles at two different historic houses interacting with paying visitors. Perhaps I am lucky, perhaps societies direct involvement with my wife and I have open minded people in our lives.

As Moonshadow has stated he had problems and quite a few on this forum hint of such with partners so I can see why some men do hide behind doors. Especially if within professional occupations with strict obsession to society expectations and labels that are relaxed with females with regards dress codes and appearance but still held in high regard towards males. Quite often it is the fear of the unknown and it is these who could potentially increase the number of men in skirts in public. This forum, others and the many positive comments on the internet about men in skirts may hopefully encourage them to take that first step. Sadly negative comments abound as well which can negate any positive thoughts.

Society, certainly in the western cultures, it is masculinity that is seen as being normal and all most aspire and adhere to it to be accepted by the larger society "clan" membership. I am an individual, true to myself and develop a personal life around that. All else, I just ignore. Or use!
Be yourself because an original is worth more than a copy.