How many is enough to normalise us?

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.

Re: How many is enough to normalise us?

Postby Sinned » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:05 pm

Wl, but a kilt IS a a skirt, albeit a more particular one. It hangs from the waist and has a circular hem with no partitioning into two parts so therefore is a skirt. It has pleats and an apron but then so do other skirts that aren't kilts. The tartans aren't unique to kilts and not all kilts have a tartan pattern. We've had this discussion before.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Postby Pdxfashionpioneer » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:51 pm

In the context of my reference.. " sufficiently ill bred ".. is made regarding those who are not sufficiently well educated to " mind their P's and Q's " and show some respect for their Elders and Betters.

Just who are you suggesting that you are better than?

I don't recall seeing anyone's post disrespecting you personally. Disagreeing with you certainly, but that's what discussion forums are for.
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Postby Sinned » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:47 pm

Thanks Dave, I was going to bring up the better than as well. I don't have betters. People more successful in various realms, more money etc, but better certianly not! I don't even consider the Royal family better. I just imagine that they sit on the loo and s**t like the rest of us!!!!
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Postby moonshadow » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:16 pm

Sinned wrote:Thanks Dave, I was going to bring up the better than as well. I don't have betters. People more successful in various realms, more money etc, but better certianly not! I don't even consider the Royal family better. I just imagine that they sit on the loo and s**t like the rest of us!!!!

There is a saying.... "unless he hangs his pants on the bed post and jumps in them, we all get dressed the same way... one leg at a time..."

Then again... we wear skirts so I guess that's out the window! :lol:
"We all have the tendency to make simple things difficult, but the spirit that abides within us achieves its own ends by making all difficult things simple."
-Manly Palmer Hall
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Postby Keystone » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:44 pm

Normalizing skirt-wearing requires separating skirts from negative stereotypes of femininity, transgenderism, and homosexuality. When women wear trousers/pants, the public views them as promoting themselves, taking-on the positive character traits of masculinity. When men wear skirts, the public views them as demoting themselves, taking-on negative character traits of femininity. The greater the number of articles of femininity (heels, lip stick etc), the greater the demotion. Add male skirt-wearing to negative stereotypes of transgenderism and homosexuality then the full scope of the challenge can be seen. The closest comparison to the path of normalization I can think of is male ear piercings. In the 1980s, it was once unthinkable that a man with pierced ears would be allowed to wear earrings in professional work environment. Today many business (if not most) permit men to wear earrings. It’s possible that the path to skirt-wearing could be somewhat similar. I do believe, however, that acceptance will be slower because skirts are far more visible and there are very few heteronormative male celebrities to champion the style. For now, I agree with earlier comments that current skirt-wearing numbers are in the parts per million (PPM). That being said, I was surprised to see a man wearing pleated mini skirt and another wearing a kilt (different men, on separate occasions) in a rural supermarket northeast PA. Twice while traveling in Switzerland I saw a youth wearing a skirt. In my opinion, if you want to accelerate skirt-wearing, you should encourage the youth. Like everyone else, I have read about their skirt-wearing protest against prohibitions on wearing shorts in school. If you can get students to start wearing skirts at a young age, they might be more willing to adopt the style as adults.
Keystone

Postby dillon » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:56 am

I mostly agree with your ideas, Keystone.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Postby Keystone » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:39 am

Thanks Dillon. We have so many prejudices and phobias to overcome to make skirt-wearing commonplace among men. Although skirt sightings are rare, I'm encouraged that I've seen 3 in PA and 2 in Switzerland in the past 2 years. I was disappointed when I visited the Netherlands for a week and saw none. Best regards!
Keystone

Postby Keystone » Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:59 pm

Regarding kilts: I agree that they are accepted as male attire by nearly everyone in the West and that they don't reflect breaking the rules of gender assigned clothing. For skirt wearers, however, their increasing popularity can serve as a means to an ends for skirt acceptability.
Keystone

Previous

Return to Skirts and Kilts for Men