What is your favorite skirt for flying and why?

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.

What is your favorite skirt for flying and why?

Postby Keystone » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:24 pm

I'm trying to decide what style skirt would be ideal for flying. I was originally thinking a mini A-line would be good but then thought that there is a lot of sitting at gates facing other people that would require a lot of work to prevent flashing people. Any thoughts?
Last edited by Keystone on Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keystone
Member
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon May 15, 2017 4:01 pm

Re: What is your favorite skirt for flying and why?

Postby Keystone » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:26 pm

another thought... Does skirt-wearing while flying make going through security any easier? or doesn't matter?
Keystone
Member
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon May 15, 2017 4:01 pm

Re: What is your favorite skirt for flying and why?

Postby Sinned » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:09 pm

I think that any skirt that has a wider hem than waist would be good. Knee length probably for modesty. Lightweight material if temperatures permit. Anything that allows
for comfort when sitting in the modern seats in an aeroplane. From my own ( limited ) experience and that of others security checking doesn't seem to be a problem and hence doesn't matter. Anyway it's fun seeing the reaction of the security guard when he doesn't know whether to pat you down or not.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
User avatar
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 3350
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:28 pm
Location: York, England

Re: What is your favorite skirt for flying and why?

Postby r.m.anderson » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:36 pm

It should not make much of difference other than a raised eyebrow from the TSA if you set off the security scanner.
Some kilts I wear have the leather buckles at the waist and a quick wand check I am good to go - the kilt pin if it is
the standard safety pin type may pose a problem (bent open it is an ice pick weapon) so I substitute with a different
weighted pin.
Yes wearing skirts thru the TSA check would be a breeze - NO POCKETS - everything in the small dish thru the scanner.
With that in mind having a over the shoulder or handbag may become a necessity making a faster transit of security.
As for other skirts - yes - the "A" line would be great for comfort and ease getting into and out of the torture seats
in the aft cabin. Ability to spread the legs would be paramount to a restrictive pencil skirt - ability to move about the
cabin with ease.
Knee hem length coverage would be the best overall - ankle length restrictive - mini-skirt subject to who knows what
kind of a reception.
Having a short skirt would be an advantage to stepping over and around the gate lice (those folks blocking the boarding
gate waiting for their que to board).
Putting on and releasing the seat belts - no problemo there.
In the unlike event of the need for the Life Vest - again no problem here - strictly an above the waist device.

Only confounding problem would be using the shrinking blue room - how and what to do with all the folds pleats etc. of
the skirt to successfully use the loo in a now reduced confined space - the target is the same size - but the room is smaller.
As a practical matter I avoid the loo and plan carefully.

Gone are the days of the dress code while flying - people used to get dressed to the nines to fly even in coach which
back then was far way and above todays first/business class.
People getting on airplanes going somewhere sunny it is the transportation to the bath house for a change to swimsuits.
And those going home the other direction a rush to dump the dirty laundry including what is worn now.

One final note: Are your legs good enough to play in Peoria ?
You are on stage do you need tights leggings ph to go with that skirt ?
Good golly what mother dressed that (adult) kid to go out and about like that !
Beware of placing things into the overhead bin your skirt rising to the occasion -
also bending over to put things under the seat in front of you !

Now sit back and enjoy your flight with us - will be cruising at xxx00 feet and
in case of cabin rapid decompression you will freeze your legs and a$$ off it
won't matter what you are wearing ! LOL !
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
User avatar
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 1703
Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2004 6:25 pm
Location: Bloomington MN

Re: What is your favorite skirt for flying and why?

Postby Fred in Skirts » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:19 pm

Since I do a lot of flying and always in a skirt, let me tell you of my experiences.

First of all I wear a loose skirt with plenty of material to avoid showing off of my undies when sitting in the terminals. My skirts are mid calf in length. Also this type of skirt is easier to have for getting into and out of the bad seating in the row of seats. I try not to have to use the blue room on the airplanes as it is way to small and tight. I plan a head to use the ones on the ground.

As far as the security check it is easier to get through with everything in my shoulder bag I just send that through the X-Ray machine and walk through the portal. I do not even take off my watch and it does not set off the alarms.

So wearing a skirt or even a dress is not a problem. I have had only good comments when a comment has been made.

So my advise is wear your skirts and enjoy the trip.

Fred
Fred :kiltdance:

:whistle: Hi I am Fred and I wear skirts and dresses all of the time. :hooray:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not"
Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
User avatar
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 1861
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:48 pm
Location: Southeast Corner of Aiken County, SC USA

Re: What is your favorite skirt for flying and why?

Postby weeladdie18 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:53 am

Sinned wrote:I think that any skirt that has a wider hem than waist would be good. Knee length probably for modesty. Lightweight material if temperatures permit. Anything that allows
for comfort when sitting in the modern seats in an aeroplane. From my own ( limited ) experience and that of others security checking doesn't seem to be a problem and hence doesn't matter. Anyway it's fun seeing the reaction of the security guard when he doesn't know whether to pat you down or not.


I agree Dennis ...I would wear one of my favourite full below the knee summer style skirts with an elasticated waist
so the garment is long and loose and free for prolonged travel..The garment would be similar to wearing a travel rug..

We used to work with cabin air pressurisation equipment ....Pressurised to 10,thousand feet..
But I could not say what pressure or temperature modern aircraft use for stabilisation in flight.

Some systems had an override with pop out individual oxygen masks......I have not been involved in this specialisation
for over fifty years.....

Do they still carry all the passengers lunch in a wicker picknic basket.....?
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 900
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:17 pm

DVT hose?

Postby shadowfax » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:52 am

If the flight is a long one then some sort of compression (support) stockings or tights under the skirt might be a good idea to help prevent deep vein thrombosis?

A friend of mine was taken ill, suffering from DVT after their return home following a long-haul flight and ended up in hospital.
They had taken some compression (flight) socks with them in their luggage on their holiday but neglected to wear them on the plane.
Last edited by shadowfax on Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
shadowfax
Member Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 202
Joined: Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:05 am
Location: UK

Re: What is your favorite skirt for flying and why?

Postby Freedomforall » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:31 am

r.m.anderson wrote:It should not make much of difference other than a raised eyebrow from the TSA if you set off the security scanner.
Some kilts I wear have the leather buckles at the waist and a quick wand check I am good to go - the kilt pin if it is
the standard safety pin type may pose a problem (bent open it is an ice pick weapon) so I substitute with a different
weighted pin.
Yes wearing skirts thru the TSA check would be a breeze - NO POCKETS - everything in the small dish thru the scanner.
With that in mind having a over the shoulder or handbag may become a necessity making a faster transit of security.
As for other skirts - yes - the "A" line would be great for comfort and ease getting into and out of the torture seats
in the aft cabin. Ability to spread the legs would be paramount to a restrictive pencil skirt - ability to move about the
cabin with ease.
Knee hem length coverage would be the best overall - ankle length restrictive - mini-skirt subject to who knows what
kind of a reception.
Having a short skirt would be an advantage to stepping over and around the gate lice (those folks blocking the boarding
gate waiting for their que to board).
Putting on and releasing the seat belts - no problemo there.
In the unlike event of the need for the Life Vest - again no problem here - strictly an above the waist device.

Only confounding problem would be using the shrinking blue room - how and what to do with all the folds pleats etc. of
the skirt to successfully use the loo in a now reduced confined space - the target is the same size - but the room is smaller.
As a practical matter I avoid the loo and plan carefully.

Gone are the days of the dress code while flying - people used to get dressed to the nines to fly even in coach which
back then was far way and above todays first/business class.
People getting on airplanes going somewhere sunny it is the transportation to the bath house for a change to swimsuits.
And those going home the other direction a rush to dump the dirty laundry including what is worn now.

One final note: Are your legs good enough to play in Peoria ?
You are on stage do you need tights leggings ph to go with that skirt ?
Good golly what mother dressed that (adult) kid to go out and about like that !
Beware of placing things into the overhead bin your skirt rising to the occasion -
also bending over to put things under the seat in front of you !

Now sit back and enjoy your flight with us - will be cruising at xxx00 feet and
in case of cabin rapid decompression you will freeze your legs and a$$ off it
won't matter what you are wearing ! LOL !


Hmmm, Every time I have worn a skirt, kilt, or even a longyi, I have been patted down. I must say "patted", is putting it mildly. I literally had my crotch groped every single time. It was quite uncomfortable to say the least. There was not any metal to capture the scanners attention, so I am uncertain why it happened.
User avatar
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 416
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:00 pm

Re: What is your favorite skirt for flying and why?

Postby crfriend » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:44 am

Freedomforall wrote:There was not any metal to capture the scanners attention, so I am uncertain why it happened.

It happened for the very simple reason of, "because it could". Nothing more, nothing less. The TSA can do this sort of thing because you -- by simply showing up to fly -- have explicitly consented to the invasion, and they take advantage of it at their whim.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
User avatar
crfriend
Master Barista
 
Posts: 9874
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2004 9:52 pm
Location: New England (U.S.)

Re: What is your favorite skirt for flying and why?

Postby Blackpassage » Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:34 pm

Ive flown in my Utilikilt with no issues. Even with all the snaps, it did not set off the buzzers. It was interesting however, to note how reactions varied from where I took off, to where I landed. Nothing aggressive or rude, just less used to variation perhaps.
Blackpassage
Active Member
 
Posts: 35
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:04 pm
Location: Victoria, B.C. Canada

Re: What is your favorite skirt for flying and why?

Postby skirtyscot » Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:55 am

Nothing too short if I have bare legs, because aeroplanes often have the air conditioning turned up a bit too high for that. Kilt, something straight and knee-length, or a lightweight long one. But in the tights season, anything goes.

The security staff don't care what you wear.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 2776
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:44 pm
Location: West Kilbride, Ayrshire, Scotland

Re: What is your favorite skirt for flying and why?

Postby dillon » Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:29 am

The only time I flew skirted, I wore an ankle length stretch skirt with elastic waist which was quite comfortable for a cross-country flight, and even the connection to our little redneck local airport. I got a glance or two while standing in the scanner with arms over my head (was before I had TSA precheck) but basically was ho-hum for the ones waiting. But it was San Francisco that I was departing so I guess it was of no curiosity there.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
dillon
Member Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 2184
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:12 pm
Location: southeast NC coast

Re: What is your favorite skirt for flying and why?

Postby Freedomforall » Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:34 am

crfriend wrote:
Freedomforall wrote:There was not any metal to capture the scanners attention, so I am uncertain why it happened.

It happened for the very simple reason of, "because it could". Nothing more, nothing less. The TSA can do this sort of thing because you -- by simply showing up to fly -- have explicitly consented to the invasion, and they take advantage of it at their whim.




Carl, you are correct. I should have realized the reason, as I saw it occur many times in my former profession. I believe we are the government's largest experiment!
Last edited by Freedomforall on Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 416
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:00 pm

Re: What is your favorite skirt for flying and why?

Postby Bikerkilt » Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:04 am

I have flown a few time wearing a Utility kilt with no problems
Bikerkilt
Active Member
 
Posts: 79
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:32 am

Re: What is your favorite skirt for flying and why?

Postby denimini » Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:06 am

At least the seats in an aircraft are mini skirt friendly; not like some trains or busses where the seats face other passengers.

I haven't flown in a skirt as none of them are aerodynamic enough :)
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
User avatar
denimini
Member Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 1215
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:50 am
Location: Outback Australia

Next

Return to Skirts and Kilts for Men

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1 guest