Starting a line of skirts

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Starting a line of skirts

Post by Grok »

Happy-N-Skirts wrote:If women like men in skirts, men will wear skirts. Market men's skirts to women who will buy them for their men. Advertise women approving and admiring men in skirts doing male activities. I have received a lot of compliments from women while I was wearing skirts. One of my wife's friends is coming over today and I promised I would be wearing a skirt. She liked it the last time she was here. `
This is probably a non-starter. A woman may agree that, in theory, there should be gender equality in clothing-except for her man.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Grok wrote:How do men (excluding mavericks) get permission? How do you overcome the Taboo?
Let's see... In no particular order:
  • Think outside the box
  • Engage courage
  • Be creative
  • Don't be swayed by obsolete dogma
  • Don't be worried about the occasional failure
  • Be confident and bold
That's a small sampling. There are many more ways. Combinations work better than singles as well.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Permission

Post by Grok »

A bathrobe is the one open ended garment that the average male owns/wears. I have noticed that you can buy night shirts online.

So there is cultural permission for men to wear some open ended garments at home.
Last edited by Grok on Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: Permission

Post by crfriend »

Grok wrote:So there is cultural permission for men to wear some open ended garments at home.
There is "cultural permission' for men to wear open garments now, it's just not explicit and "in your face". It's perfectly possible for a man in most places to wear such garments with little or no backlash.

What needs to happen is for folks to stop over-thinking the matter. "Society" is not going to walk up to one of us and say, "We grant you permission to wear skirts." That's just not going to happen, and if we need it to then we're shooting ourselves in the foot.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

What is there to wearing a skirt or dress that men can't get over????

It is the way that they have been brainwashed since they were babies. The brainwashing is hard set in their minds and it is not easy to counter. It will take a lot of us that have beat the brainwashing to continue to wear skirts and dresses in public before skirts will become normal for men. We will need to show the others that it is normal and not some fetish or pervasion.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

weeladdie18 wrote:Please allow me to look at this project from another viewpoint. The men in skirts market needs an affordable price ...Once the marketable price is agreed,
the design should be simplified to achieved the required function....
Perhaps this should be a simple male wrap over skirt with right over left wrapping aprons .
Each apron should be fastened at the hip......A method of fastening to provide the maximum amount of adjustment for each manufactured size.
This simplifies the number of sizes involved the stock.....

I would suggest an A Line design with a choice of "Top of the Knee Cap, Or Below the Knee Cap Hem.

Perhaps a simple Sulu or Sarong style would be a good starting point.....Pleated garments need careful pleat maintenance in the form of steam pressing.

Simple A Line flare requires limited maintenance ...........................best of luck
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

weeladdie18 wrote:
weeladdie18 wrote:Please allow me to look at this project from another viewpoint. The men in skirts market needs an affordable price ...Once the marketable price is agreed,
the design should be simplified to achieved the required function....
Perhaps this should be a simple male wrap over skirt with right over left wrapping aprons .
Each apron should be fastened at the hip......A method of fastening to provide the maximum amount of adjustment for each manufactured size.
This simplifies the number of sizes involved the stock.....

I would suggest an A Line design with a choice of "Top of the Knee Cap, Or Below the Knee Cap Hem.

Perhaps a simple Sulu or Sarong style would be a good starting point.....Pleated garments need careful pleat maintenance in the form of steam pressing.

Simple A Line flare requires limited maintenance ...........................best of luck
Going back to my initial post:....I endorse my initial comments by initially suggesting a Casual Skirt for the male partner to wear at home....
The second stage might say a skirt to wear to the beach or perhaps for hiking ......

Wearing a casual skirt at home could lead to a casual skirt for family parties ...or perhaps the casual skirt worn over shorts for late evening barbies
and ...." at home " .....family and friends parties .....Perhaps market cheap " man wrap around skirts "..... in " Party Packs ".......
In say .......small , Medium and large sizes........Perhaps Carl might pass comment on this Type of approach as a brain storming idea....weeladdie
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

If my suggestion of an at home casual skirt were to be chosen ...the first problem would be to finalise the design so the garment could be worn
in say only ,small , medium and large.....It might be hard to establish....what this actually means regarding differences in height ,....or......
....Waist and hip sizes.....

When I went to be measured by My Kilt Maker it was agreed that she would send her staff out to the Kilt Hire Store Room to find a Kilt which fitted me
correctly.......The Business hired out Say 50 Kilts in the same tartan for a school Ball......There was not one which fitted my dimensions.....
to the nearest inch.......I am using this as a sizing problem.....The style of one garment may be lost when it is not worn by the perfect model.

If I talk about a simple Sarong they vary in cut for my body......There does seem to be much stock held which does not meet the size required by
the prospective purchaser....what is the size and shape of your prospective male purchaser ?
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

The male style Roman Centurian Tunic......A simple male tunic based on the female T Shirt Dress or female T Shirt Nightshirt.....

I usually wear this type of modern female shift dress garment in 2 female sizes larger than my female off the peg skirt.....Loose and comfortable .....
fits my male shoulders and free at the waist.....
I would wear a white cotton Male Tunic worn above the Knee over a Female T Shirt or night shirt as an undergarment......

My thoughts are to manufacture a white cotton Roman Style Tunic to be worn casually at home ....
Sales could be through a café as a marketing and publicity ploy......

Garment would be similar in style to the Classical Style Roman Tunic......Market initially as a Male Casual at home short cotton robe......

Worn with a belt or rope tie....leave style of over garments to wearer's imagination.......
Perhaps the concept of a simple male tunic could be more successful than a male dress or skirt.

This type of garment could be worn clean one per day or in a heavier weight with a Vee Neck and a male shirt and or collar and Tie underneath.........

I am trying to think myself into this type of tunic........For me the Roman Tunic was one of the roots of my infant interest in skirts..
This style of male garment may remove some of the resistance to a Man in a Skirt
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

To simplify this project the male garment could be made as a free size skirt with a draw string waist as the lower half of a Roman Tunic.

This thinking isolates the garment from being a male skirt...simply by its Japanese Trade Name for the free size male garment..

I am now drawing one into the complicated world of Advertising Psycology........

Still only designed and marketed for Casual Male Wearing at Home as the lower half of a traditional male garment..............
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Starter Skirt

Post by Grok »

weeladdie18 wrote:If my suggestion of an at home casual skirt were to be chosen ...
Your suggestion of a sarong/sulu seems a good candidate.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Starter Skirt

Post by weeladdie18 »

Grok wrote:
weeladdie18 wrote:If my suggestion of an at home casual skirt were to be chosen ...
Your suggestion of a sarong/sulu seems a good candidate.
Thanks for your agreement Grok......I certainly consider this type of garment would market in a greater volume as a casual at home skirt

I considered this type of garment as a Surfer's Skirt for beach wear...but the market is relatively limited........only time will tell......
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

crfriend wrote:
Grok wrote:How do men (excluding mavericks) get permission? How do you overcome the Taboo?
Let's see... In no particular order:
  • Think outside the box
  • Engage courage
  • Be creative
  • Don't be swayed by obsolete dogma
  • Don't be worried about the occasional failure
  • Be confident and bold
That's a small sampling. There are many more ways. Combinations work better than singles as well.
Ever tried job hunting in a skirt?
Daryl...
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

Fred in Skirts wrote:What is there to wearing a skirt or dress that men can't get over????

It is the way that they have been brainwashed since they were babies. The brainwashing is hard set in their minds and it is not easy to counter. It will take a lot of us that have beat the brainwashing to continue to wear skirts and dresses in public before skirts will become normal for men. We will need to show the others that it is normal and not some fetish or pervasion.
The brainwashing is put in our minds by someone (usually our parents, especially our mothers). They have a purpose in putting it there, and that purpose is usually to keep us on the right side of socially-normal, so that we can succeed in the world. It is a self-reinforcing system, not only a matter of conditioning that we just need to overcome.

This is why I say the way forward is for those of us who can do it, to do it, and most importantly be seen doing it.
Daryl...
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

Caultron wrote:I agree, there's no magical skirt design that will induce men to slap their foreheads and start wearing skirts.
I think we've just found our salute!

(Or maybe I'm just watching too many reruns of Third Rock from the Sun.)
Daryl...