Design your own skirts, clothing etc

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Design your own skirts, clothing etc

Post by Freedomforall »

I just discovered this unique site and am sharing it with the cafe. You can use your artwork or a picture you have to create any type of clothing item such as a skirt etc. You can also post this design to market it for sale. This is directly from the site, "Art of Where is a community driven production studio that custom creates high quality wearable garments and accessories printed with artwork. We combine the worlds of art, paper, print, sewing and
locally made goods with only the best raw materials to realize artwork on a wide range of mediums. Our goal is to manufacture high quality printed products at pricing accessible to resellers, Etsians, and artists."
I saw three different skirt styles offered and the prices seemed reasonble. Here is the link.

https://artofwhere.com
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Re: Design your own skirts, clothing etc

Post by beachlion »

I make my own skirts so I skip the middle person. I don't need printing because my reason for wearing skirts is comfort. I stay in the range of fabrics of my shorts or pants. Now and then I do some experimenting with colors but in general I stay color wise on the boring side. ;)
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

beachlion wrote:I don't need printing because my reason for wearing skirts is comfort.
I'm actually contemplating this because I think it'd be really cool to have a skirt with elements of the logic prints of some obscure computer on it. A few folks would understand what's going on, fewer still would be able to identify the computer in question. The rest would look at it as some abstract design. The first class I'd find interesting, the second class compelling; the third, well, they're commoners.

This is definitely food for thought.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Cool! Many ideas!
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

crfriend wrote:
beachlion wrote:I don't need printing because my reason for wearing skirts is comfort.
I'm actually contemplating this because I think it'd be really cool to have a skirt with elements of the logic prints of some obscure computer on it. A few folks would understand what's going on, fewer still would be able to identify the computer in question. The rest would look at it as some abstract design. The first class I'd find interesting, the second class compelling; the third, well, they're commoners.

I've often thought about a skirt with simply "Ask Me" inside a vertical stripe on the side of it.

Also, a single big sploosh of some kind on the front has occured to me. Maybe an XOR gate.
Daryl...
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I'm with you on this, Carl. Logic circuits would be cool. Even simple electric circuits, such as your pentode diagram. I really like the galaxy patterns, showing galaxies in blue and pink. An interesting effect is produced if you make a circle skirt out of a striped material as the stripes bow away from the waist. How about a black skirt with a royal blue hot rod across the front? I have a 2XL black rayon shirt with such a design that I am trying to generate the courage to deconstruct it and make it into two skirts. It's far too big for me but the design on it is stunning.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Sinned wrote:I'm with you on this, Carl. Logic circuits would be cool. Even simple electric circuits, such as your pentode diagram. [...] An interesting effect is produced if you make a circle skirt out of a striped material as the stripes bow away from the waist.
That's one of the things I'd have to take into account by deliberately "coning" any schematic to be so employed such that when the skirt is splayed out everything looks right in the context of it being a garment but yet still readable. At the moment, I'm contemplating either the interconnection layout of a KI-10 or potentially the MAP board for my NOVA 840. These can be trivially scanned at very high resolution, contrast-corrected/posterised to full B/W, "coned" to fit the skirt panels, and then printed on. The originals are all B-sized reproductions (11x17) (the originals being Ds (22x34)) so a 600 DPI scan wouldn't need to be blown up all that much. The challenge will be the "jaggies".
How about a black skirt with a royal blue hot rod across the front? I have a 2XL black rayon shirt with such a design that I am trying to generate the courage to deconstruct it and make it into two skirts. It's far too big for me but the design on it is stunning.
Lay it flat and take a very high-resolution photo of it in bright but diffuse light with a long lens and see if that yields anything that could be printed.
Wesley

Post by Wesley »

crfriend wrote:

Post the pattern, I'd like to take a crack at identifying it.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Wesley wrote:
crfriend wrote:I'm actually contemplating this because I think it'd be really cool to have a skirt with elements of the logic prints of some obscure computer on it. A few folks would understand what's going on, fewer still would be able to identify the computer in question. The rest would look at it as some abstract design. The first class I'd find interesting, the second class compelling; the third, well, they're commoners.

Here's one of the candidates, with the things that are dead give-aways deleted from the image:

I have other candidates in mind, but I don't have scans handy -- only DTF [0] documents.

To work properly on a skirt, the top would have to be narrowed, the bottom stretched, and the middle lowered so all the horizontal lines are curves and all the vertical lines would converge at an imaginary point way above the top of the page.

[0] Dead Tree Format
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Perhaps one could use the pattern as a crib sheet for a difficult job.........L O L
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Even look down at an inverted road map on your skirt when driving to a destination
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

crfriend wrote:
Wesley wrote:
crfriend wrote:I'm actually contemplating this because I think it'd be really cool to have a skirt with elements of the logic prints of some obscure computer on it. A few folks would understand what's going on, fewer still would be able to identify the computer in question. The rest would look at it as some abstract design. The first class I'd find interesting, the second class compelling; the third, well, they're commoners.

Here's one of the candidates, with the things that are dead give-aways deleted from the image:

I have other candidates in mind, but I don't have scans handy -- only DTF [0] documents.

To work properly on a skirt, the top would have to be narrowed, the bottom stretched, and the middle lowered so all the horizontal lines are curves and all the vertical lines would converge at an imaginary point way above the top of the page.

[0] Dead Tree Format
This point in perspective is known as the vanishing point...It is used in some 3 D drawings.....however some 3 D drawings are parallel lines
and not true 3 D

E.G. ....If a 3 D drawing showed a railway line with Parallel Tracks , the real rail way lines would diverge
and the train would go off the rails............L.O.L.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

I do apologise gentlemen , perhaps I have been skirting the issue. L.O.L.
KenCT

Post by KenCT »

Crfriend wrote
or potentially the MAP board for my NOVA 840
Wow, the Data General NOVA was the first computer I worked on, in graduate school. Our lab had two, and I moonlighted for the systems house that built and supported them; wrote some utilities in assembly. Did hardware support and custom I/O devices at the lab, so when I learned there was a computer-design class in the Engineering school with the NOVA as the case study, I audited it. Odd place for a psychologist to find himself — but then, I left academia for a career as an Engineering Psychologist.
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

weeladdie18 wrote: This point in perspective is known as the vanishing point...It is used in some 3 D drawings.....however some 3 D drawings are parallel lines
and not true 3 D
Mix the two 3D drawing modes -- vanishing point and orthographic projection (the "parallel lines" method you mentioned) -- and you can create some impossible objects and scenes, like M.C. Escher is famous for. I've thought about printing an homage to the game Monument Valley on a skirt too, because it treats impossible geometries as real (in gamespace).
Daryl...