Aggressive women

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Kilty
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Aggressive women

Post by Kilty »

To add to what I wrote, perhaps I also mean that some girls are more forward rather than aggressive... I wrote that as 'devil's advocate' as a worst possibility scenario. Most don't say anything, but I have had more compliments than insults whilst skirted, even in some of the tighter pencil skirts if wearing nice boots. Some girls have been quite forward, but if you dress good to feel good, and others also like how you look I guess it's no big deal. I guess for some it's a change from seeing guys in the standard drab. Guys are scared of being called feminine and it's an insult to most, but it seems most girls are more 'masculine' than guys, certainly this generation where girls can do anything just like guys. Some may see our fashion choice as sticking two fingers up to society and applaud us for it. But in reflection it's more forwardness than aggression which would be angry words shouted at rather than a cheeky remark as I've had on occasion :roll:
Logjam

Post by Logjam »

Interesting read! My observation may be a case of “apples and oranges” as I have yet to wear a skirt in public. But, I do wear (men’s) shorts regularly in summer, and I happen to have a medium size tattoo on my lower calf. I’ve been quite surprised (pleasantly - ha!) at the number of women who have commented on my piece, and even struck up conversations. A couple of times, even quite boldly and with my wife present. Interesting to think of what all may trigger the “open” behavior.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Happy-N-Skirts wrote:Most people don't notice when I am wearing a skirt. Of the women who have noticed, I only get positive comments such as my legs or that I look comfortable. Some merely smile. One lady asked, "what are you wearing?" I replied that it was a hiking kilt and they are getting very popular. She said, "oh, well you look nice." I have never had a man notice or say anything.
Yeah, men don't tell each other, "I like your outfit," nearly as much as women do, possibly because there's so little variety. But when you wear something different a certain number of women will speak up as they would with each other.

No screaming mobs of adoring fans, mind you, but occasionally. It's a friendly gesture and you should treat it as such. Relax, smile, look them in the eye, and reply something like, "Oh, thanks, I have fun with it."
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

I would say that women are more in the way of being forward when it comes to skirt wearing men. In my case as I wear women's attire from head (earrings) to toe (heels), I've been complimented by the fairer sex often, and, in every case, there's no aggression, rather, earnest, forthright opinions as women genuinely appreciate my presentation when out in public. Oh, and while it's exceedingly rare (I can count on one hand the number of times it's happened), I've gotten compliments from men as well.
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Daryl wrote:
In one case it was a woman, herself also in a skirt, who led the conversation down the path of skirts just being preferable to wear, and how her daughter is only now starting to discover them. My sense was that a man being in a skirt was evidence for her that skirts are just good to wear, not mere sex-signals.
I have to wonder if the few women who wear skirts regularly feel like the odd man out. Perhaps MIS makes her feel vindicated
mskirt

Post by mskirt »

This conversation very interesting to me. I’d like to comment about an interaction I’ve had recently with a woman. I have only been wearing a skirt out for a few months so there is not a lot of history for much to have happened. I was standing with my wife a waitress walked up and asked “where are you folks visiting from”? She looked at my skirt then back at us. My wife said we are local and not visitors. I asked her why do you think we are visiting? Her response, “I thought you were from Europe. But you are such a nice looking couple “. I think people in the US think of Europeans as more progressive dressers. This skirt wearing is getting easier for me and am really looking forward some interactions.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

mskirt wrote:This conversation very interesting to me. I’d like to comment about an interaction I’ve had recently with a woman. I have only been wearing a skirt out for a few months so there is not a lot of history for much to have happened. I was standing with my wife a waitress walked up and asked “where are you folks visiting from”? She looked at my skirt then back at us. My wife said we are local and not visitors. I asked her why do you think we are visiting? Her response, “I thought you were from Europe. But you are such a nice looking couple “. I think people in the US think of Europeans as more progressive dressers. This skirt wearing is getting easier for me and am really looking forward some interactions.
Ah er you are not from here are you ?
OOPS !
Clever diversion "I thought you were from Europe (the way you are dressed) But you are such a nice looking couple"
Moving on - you can't tell a skirt by it wearer !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

mskirt wrote:This conversation very interesting to me. I’d like to comment about an interaction I’ve had recently with a woman. I have only been wearing a skirt out for a few months so there is not a lot of history for much to have happened. I was standing with my wife a waitress walked up and asked “where are you folks visiting from”? She looked at my skirt then back at us. My wife said we are local and not visitors. I asked her why do you think we are visiting? Her response, “I thought you were from Europe. But you are such a nice looking couple “. I think people in the US think of Europeans as more progressive dressers. This skirt wearing is getting easier for me and am really looking forward some interactions.
I suppose she was thinking that since you weren't conforming to US fashion norms, you might be from overseas.

But no matter. Take the compliment and the acceptance in the spirit intended and rock on.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

I have had a similar thing happen many times. The assumption that what I am wearing must be an "ethnic" thing is very prevalent. It's telling that the sight of a man in a skirt causes enough cognitive dissonance that people often feel compelled to find an explanation. A kilt will get you questions about your presumptive Scottishness, and a more femme-leaning outfit (eg. a pencil skirt or a floral pattern) will get you very few questions from strangers. It's when people feel they don't know what is happening that they feel compelled to ask.

An older couple in a checkout lane next to mine at the supermarket argued about whether what I was wearing was a kilt or a skirt. To resolve it, the male half got appointed to come to my lane and ask what clan my kilt was associated with. I told him it was just a skirt not a kilt. He smiled nervously while explaining to me that his wife put him up to asking me because she was sure it had to be a kilt while he had been pretty sure it was just a skirt. He was happy to have won that argument, I gathered.
Daryl...
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

Caultron wrote: I suppose she was thinking that since you weren't conforming to US fashion norms, you might be from overseas.
I find that foreign tourists and recent immigrants are the most likely to ask, relative to their numbers. For me that includes Americans (meaning people from the USA).
Daryl...
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

partlyscot wrote:I particularly remember one conversation where the lady happened to be wearing the exact same skirt, and she said that I was well ahead of the curve, and couldn't understand why more men didn't wear them.
To which I might have responded that I couldn't understand why more women didn't wear them, too. Skirt-wearing by women definitely increased a little where I worked after I started wearing skirts to work all the time. It's almost as if the option became more real even for women, with just one trailblazer. Until then, I don't think any of the women where I worked ever wore skirts except on formal occasions.
Daryl...
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Daryl wrote:
partlyscot wrote:I particularly remember one conversation where the lady happened to be wearing the exact same skirt, and she said that I was well ahead of the curve, and couldn't understand why more men didn't wear them.
To which I might have responded that I couldn't understand why more women didn't wear them, too. Skirt-wearing by women definitely increased a little where I worked after I started wearing skirts to work all the time. It's almost as if the option became more real even for women, with just one trailblazer. Until then, I don't think any of the women where I worked ever wore skirts except on formal occasions.
I feel this idea of "Being a trail blazer " may or may not influence others in a small working community
to dress in a style which produces a uniformity in the way a community chooses to dress.
A simple example....If a team of male and female staff were lead by a man in trousers...would all
the team eventually voluntarily turn to wearing trousers ?
If a new leader of the team was a female who wore skirts , would all the team including the males ,
turn to wearing skirts ?

If a man goes to church with a group of females in skirt suits , should he wear a skirt as a form
of compatability in a community, or should he show his male gender by wearing trousers ?
lazerr
Member Extraordinaire

Post by lazerr »

I can see why there are norms of dress. Years ago I was required to wear a suit and tie at work, every day. At one pint I tried to change the norm of dress by wearing a polo shirt, at first only on Friday, then added Tuesday, eventually all work days. This went well for me as no one caught on to what I was doing until it was well established. I do know that, when I moved on, the person promoted to my job was told "you MUST wear a button up shirt and tie for this job". When he said his predecessor wore polo shirts he was told, we have changed the requirement. Of course now everyone wears polo shirts, but it took time to change that.

Since I no longer go to an actual office regularly I wear what i want now. But when I go to the office I try and match what is expected, in other words, no skirts at the office yet.

I do note that very few women wear skirts to the office any more. Not sure why, but they do seem to have a best shoe contest going on.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

We appear to have strayed but here goes anyway.
Norms or normal patterns of behaviour will remain just so until they become seemingly immutable.
That is, until they are challenged by someone, a trailblazer if you like.
Trails are made to be followed but some will and others will not.
Choice and freedom of choice that is my blaze along the skirted trail.
Steve.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Brad wrote:I've noticed that when I'm wearing a skirt women seem to act more aggressively. I've had random women tell me I have nice legs. I never get that attention wearing shorts. It seems to me that a man in a skirt is considered vulnerable in a way that encourages women be more forward. Had anyone else noticed this attention from women?
I would suggest that in the U.K. traditionally a gentleman would observe the attire of other males
but would remain tight lipped regarding his opinions.
The female would obviously be curious if she saw a male trail blazer wearing a skirt.
Last edited by weeladdie18 on Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.