Skirt Wearing by Women Increasing?

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Skirt Wearing by Women Increasing?

Post by denimini »

6ft3Aussie wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:30 am
But then again, you only need to walk around Brisvegas to see that there's no shortage of skirts being worn out and about here. There's something about living in a sub-tropical climate..
You are certainly in skirt territory there.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Rokje
Distinguished Member

Post by Rokje »

In the Netherlands the women I see, they all wear trousers. Hot or cold, trousers it is. Only the older women wear dresses and skirts, but only in the summer.
I like the practicality of trousers myself, that's why women in the Netherlands like to wear trousers. But I do like the skirts when it is warm outside. Even when I ride my bicycle.
Be proud to wear a skirt or dress, they are just clothes. Yes , they are for men too
I'm Marica, a 56 year old girl.

8)
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

rivegauche wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:31 am
I have asked women why they don't wear skirts or dresses in really hot weather and I have been told it is because of their thighs rubbing together.
I haven't done a study in women's thighs, but is this due, then, to obesity? I know my knees hit each other long before my thighs could even when I'm a bit overweight.
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

Well I do have a problem with my legs being "too close" together that sometimes leads to friction problems when skirted. The bad thing about going bifurcated is that I wear them out between the legs, which also means I never have the right bits left to turn them into cut-offs! The joys of being a bit corpulent!
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Faldaguy wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:09 pm
From a very small arbitrary and non-scientific sampling, my observations in the few places I routinely attend, the number of women wearing skirts has increased from the times before I attended those venues routinely in a skirt.
An unexpected irony-that MIS could be allies for WIS.
rivegauche
Distinguished Member

Post by rivegauche »

Jim wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:51 am
rivegauche wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:31 am
I have asked women why they don't wear skirts or dresses in really hot weather and I have been told it is because of their thighs rubbing together.
I haven't done a study in women's thighs, but is this due, then, to obesity? I know my knees hit each other long before my thighs could even when I'm a bit overweight.
Ah. Funnily enough my questioning of women didn't go down this route!
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

I had a trip to town today and had enough time (daylight savings) to check out a few op-shops (thrift/charity stores). Skirtwise the pickings were very slim. It is the start of summer and there used to be a lot more skirts.
I am not sure why and postulate the following reasons:
  • Women haven't been buying skirts for years now and the donation stock is shrinking
  • Women are wearing skirts more now and not getting rid of them
  • Women are buying more skirts at charity shops so the stock is depleted
  • Women are not leaving home to be able to donate them
  • Women are buying them to sell on eBay
  • Women are selling them on eBay instead of donating in these hard times (there are still plenty on eBay)
I didn't see any other men browzing the women's racks so they are not to blame
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

denimini wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:50 am
Women haven't been buying skirts for years now and the donation stock is shrinking
I think this the most likely explanation. I haven't noticed any significant increase in years for womens skirt wearing.

I think for the average woman skirt wearing is reserved for:

1. Special occasions.

2. The hottest weather.

I think between the two requirements very few garments need to be purchased.
nzfreestyler
Member Extraordinaire

Post by nzfreestyler »

For my 2 cents worth...
I think its about steady here and not really increasing.
Pant suits are a big trend and womens pants are actually pretty comfy.

I buy my clothes from womens stores - and the ratio of pants to skirts would be 2 to 1 if not perhaps even 3 to 1 in terms of styles
Its a definite trend to pants right now vs skirt choices.

points of difference and convenience :
You don't have to think about your hemline/upskirt.
Fitted pants sit high on your waist and nicely fit your derriere - so they can be very figure defining/flattering if you want
A pant suit for work is a take me serious look - more masculine style trend these days - but you keep it feminine with a stiletto heel and/or a sheer blouse/open jacket look.
You can avoid waxing your full legs with pants -perhaps just knees down
Jackets are traditionally cut to your waist or above your hips so that your legs in a fitted pant are very much a focus - just as in your skirt.
Pants are usually lined too - so they move on you easily and don't bunch.
Pants are much lighter weight than equivalent mens fabrics would be - again much more comfortable.
You don't need to wear hosiery with pants!
Most pants are now going higher waisted so stupid things like showing your underwear with a hipster is not going to happen with high waists.
In fact the wasitline on a highwaisted pant is the same as your skirt waistline - so they fit very much the same.

Some of these points are very convenient so I can understand why pants that look good now with fitted styles are popular.

I would agree that a skirt is always going to be the more formal choice - or a dress. Thats for sure.

Cheers
NZF