Skirt Wearing by Women Increasing?

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
FranTastic444
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Skirt Wearing by Women Increasing?

Post by FranTastic444 »

Very warm and muggy here recently in Boston. I cycled into work and noticed a) several women cycling in dresses (which is always a fine sight) and b) many, many women going about their daily duties wearing either a dress or a skirt. I presume this is down to the excesses of heat and humidity - there were noticeably more skirts and dresses around than usual. Talk of the demise of skirts an dresses may be premature :-)
Last edited by FranTastic444 on Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

The floaty calf-length Summer dress is alive and well here in Ireland. Lovely on young girls of course, but also hides a multitude of unwanted bumps on the not-so-slim.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Summer Skirt/dress Wearing in Seattle

Post by Grok »

Yesterday in downtown Seattle I saw a considerable number of women in skirts/dresses. I saw one woman riding a bicycle in a dress. Another woman was walking along wearing a dress and a back pack.

I saw a woman in a dress driving a scooter.

Later I went to the zoo. There was a considerable number of women in skirts/dresses. There was also a number of little girls in skirts/dresses.

When I saw the little girls in those rigs, I had to wonder if they are being taught skirtmanship.
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Summer Skirt/dress Wearing in Seattle

Post by Daryl »

Grok wrote:Yesterday in downtown Seattle I saw a considerable number of women in skirts/dresses. I saw one woman riding a bicycle in a dress. Another woman was walking along wearing a dress and a back pack.

I saw a woman in a dress driving a scooter.

Later I went to the zoo. There was a considerable number of women in skirts/dresses. There was also a number of little girls in skirts/dresses.

When I saw the little girls in those rigs, I had to wonder if they are being taught skirtmanship.
Quite often little girls will have shorts on under their skirts so it would not surprise me if they are not. My guess is that parents would rather not teach girls to worry about exposure at a very young age, knowing that they will learn it on their own when they get older and more self-aware. I learned skirtmanship in my 50s so I am certain there is no rush to teach it to kindergarteners.
Daryl...
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Does anybody sell skorts for little girls? If so, parents might not worry about exposure.

Which brings up a topic that relates to the title of this thread. Are the women we see actually wearing true open ended garments, or are they wearing skorts?
Happy-N-Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Happy-N-Skirts »

Grok wrote:Does anybody sell skorts for little girls? If so, parents might not worry about exposure.

Which brings up a topic that relates to the title of this thread. Are the women we see actually wearing true open ended garments, or are they wearing skorts?

Our grand daughters age 10, 6, 4 wear skorts. I don't know where our daughter - in-law buys them, but they are very cute and practical.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Nevertheless, during the hottest days I expect most of what we see is truly open ended. As members will have noticed, such can be cooler than shorts.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

I wear skorts a lot. In fact i am in one now.

I know some guys are "skirt puritans" but as an old guy who has occasional drippage following micturation, I appreciate either a liner or an undie. And, frankly, the liner shorts of a skort are cooler and more comfortable than undies with a skirt; more airy on one's junk. I'm old, but not ready yet for pads because of an extraneous drop or two. Granted, it makes more laundry... maybe...probably...someday...
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Here in Seattle we are now in the tail end of summer. However, by late morning today it was hot and sunny. There was an occasional gust of breeze, which had a cooling effect when it went up my Macabi knee length.

Went to a small grocery store a few blocks from my place. When I was there, I noticed a young woman wearing a knee length black skirt, with black pantyhose (which was showing some wear and tear). I am a bit puzzled by the pantyhose-this, I would think, would tend to negate the superior cooling effect of wearing a skirt.
Kilted_John
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilted_John »

^They might've been thigh-high stockings, which wouldn't be as bad. I find that a pair of trouser socks or sheer knee-high stockings can actually have a cooling sensation, while skirted.

Tomorrow is supposed to be a bit warmer than today was, btw. Will be out running errands in the outfit seen in my avatar, but with trouser socks, instead of the wool kilt socks.

-J
Skirted since 2/2002, kilted 8/2002-8/2011, and dressed since 9/2013...
flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/245gt-turbo
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Seattle area-transition into Autumn

Post by Grok »

In August you get hints that the seasons want to change. Definitely transitioning in September. This year, the first week of September was the last gasp of summer. The dividing line was thunderstorms last weekend.

After the dividing line, during the rest of September, you can have a bit of mild, sunny weather-the last such for the year.

Yesterday I went to a dental appointment in downtown Seattle. Noticed two women wearing skirts with leggings, while all the other women seemed to be in pants or paint ons.
Last edited by Grok on Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

Grok wrote:Here in Seattle we are now in the tail end of summer. However, by late morning today it was hot and sunny. There was an occasional gust of breeze, which had a cooling effect when it went up my Macabi knee length.

Went to a small grocery store a few blocks from my place. When I was there, I noticed a young woman wearing a knee length black skirt, with black pantyhose (which was showing some wear and tear). I am a bit puzzled by the pantyhose-this, I would think, would tend to negate the superior cooling effect of wearing a skirt.
Cooling isn't the only advantage of skirts, of course, but it is a nice one. When the outside temp drops to about 15 I will start wearing pantyhose again, because I like them for other reasons as well, and they don't negate the other advantages of skirts. I find pantyhose sufficient leg covering until well below freezing, at which point I switch to tights or long stockings.
Daryl...
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Here in S.W. U.K. the skirt and the full dress has become more popular with the lassies . Now the weather is starting to cool with the N.W. Polar Maritime Wind
some of the local lassies are returning to their jeans or legging. More of the visitors are wearing summer dresses this year.

More skirts in the shops locally , so more skirts out on the street . Temperature still rising to 24 or 25 C in the afternoons.
Daylight at 0700 , Dusk at 2000 ....By my calendar Autumn will be with us in another week...
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

weeladdie18 wrote:Here in S.W. U.K. the skirt and the full dress has become more popular with the lassies .
Perhaps some women view such as an option for wearing something different? Twin-tubes are boring.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Grok wrote:
weeladdie18 wrote:Here in S.W. U.K. the skirt and the full dress has become more popular with the lassies .
Perhaps some women view such as an option for wearing something different? Twin-tubes are boring.
Grok...Certainly more nice skirts in the U.K. shops in the past 2 years ....My theory is .......
" More skirts in the shops than there have been, so more lassies in skirts in skirts in the warmer weather .....more holidaymakers in skirts in our international tourist area . "

As for styles ....sun ray pleats ...A Line .....Bib and Brace Denim Skirts.....Denim tunic dresses....
Last edited by weeladdie18 on Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.