Skirt Wearing by Women Increasing?

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Skirt Wearing by Women Increasing?

Post by dillon »

Skirt shopping is bleak for those who have male-tailoring tendencies. I can’t abandon my Y chromosome, but some can. But to make the change one has to be more brutally personally and publicly honest than most of us are prepared to do. Too, I like some relatively feminine styled skirts that I would not wear just because of not wanting to confront my own gender identity. Yes, I need to establish my identity as an eccentric, rather than a TG, because I fit neither category. I guess they haven’t studied me or those like me yet. I just don’t fit their cubbyholes.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
new2skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by new2skirts »

dillon wrote:Skirt shopping is bleak for those who have male-tailoring tendencies. I can’t abandon my Y chromosome, but some can. But to make the change one has to be more brutally personally and publicly honest than most of us are prepared to do. Too, I like some relatively feminine styled skirts that I would not wear just because of not wanting to confront my own gender identity. Yes, I need to establish my identity as an eccentric, rather than a TG, because I fit neither category. I guess they haven’t studied me or those like me yet. I just don’t fit their cubbyholes.
Unless you're in a Utilikilt or regular kilt / denim skirt, most other forms of skirt are generally regarded as feminine. Some are petrified of the TG label, and prefer to tough it out as a macho 'man in a skirt' (usually poorly dressed as well), and would prefer to be in court, than in court shoes :roll:

Mark, now of YouTube fame it seems :shock:
mark-youtube.jpg
set the bar for acceptable fashion whilst still not abandoning his Y chromosome.

I think we've reached a point where most are not 'unseeing' us, but are just too busy to care. Aside from kilts and denim skirts, all mine would be regarded as feminine, along with their accessories... but with celebrities "in the wild" like Eddie Izzard, it shows that just because I'm in a nice pencil skirt with black stockings, doesn't mean I have to take on a girly persona (unless one wants to) :twisted:
Formerly Kilty / Joe Public etc...
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

moonshadow wrote:
It begs the question though, where did these thrift shop skirts originate?
Perhaps some of the skirts had originally been ordered online?
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Perhaps some of the new skirts in the charity shops are end of line from the local fashion stores ...
Some of the fashion stores are needing the rails for their new stock.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

pelmut wrote:
weeladdie18 wrote:Recently , I passed a shop in Exeter U.K. which sells very expensive sewing machines .
The shop advertised Sewing Machine Courses , sewing classes and pattern making courses.....Perhaps there is a similar shop on your doorstep
There is one in Bath.
Pelmut , Thanks for that comment , I have not been to Bath for years . If I remember correctly , just outside Bath ,on the way to Shepton Mallet there was
a Wild West Museum . Great Stuff . Must have been ten years ago .

There are also craft and sewing groups in many local regions . There are two within a few miles of me .
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

weeladdie18 wrote:Perhaps some of the new skirts in the charity shops are end of line from the local fashion stores ...
Nevertheless, if few women now wear skirts on a regular basis, one would expect second hand skirts to gradually dwindle to small remnant.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Yesterday afternoon, here in Seattle, the weather was spring like. (Last February we had snow storms).

Noticed a woman in a dress walking her dog. She wasn't wearing a jacket or anything over the dress.

Notable because I have hardly seen any skirted women since early autumn last year.
Kilted_John
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilted_John »

Grok wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:21 pm Yesterday afternoon, here in Seattle, the weather was spring like. (Last February we had snow storms).

Noticed a woman in a dress walking her dog. She wasn't wearing a jacket or anything over the dress.

Notable because I have hardly seen any skirted women since early autumn last year.
There have been a few over the past couple weeks, but mainly on the eastside, closer to where I am. Next week, looks like close to 60 deg F and sunny again.
Skirted since 2/2002, kilted 8/2002-8/2011, and dressed since 9/2013...
flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/245gt-turbo
nzfreestyler
Member Extraordinaire

Post by nzfreestyler »

I think we need more skirts in general out there !
Women and men wearers !

I'm often the only skirt in some of the companies I visit - and its amazing how some companies - or perhaps staff are all opting to wear pants rather than a skirt ! Why I don't know - all the women I refer to are in retail or admin support for small to medium companies. Larger corporates I think have more skirts?

Anyway - I would not mind seeing plenty more skirts and heels around the place. Its hard work being a guy - and the only person in a skirt and heels.

NZF
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Again another day of relatively mild weather. I should clarify-weather like early spring. Two young women I saw:

1. One wearing jacket, skirt, and black pantyhose.

2. Another woman wearing jacket and long skirt.

The general pattern seems to be...if the weather is like early autumn or early spring, a few intrepid souls will venture out skirted.
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

Grok wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:16 pm
weeladdie18 wrote:Perhaps some of the new skirts in the charity shops are end of line from the local fashion stores ...
Nevertheless, if few women now wear skirts on a regular basis, one would expect second hand skirts to gradually dwindle to small remnant.

That is what I suspect, that skirts in second hand shops will gradually become almost non existent.

If women are not buying them in first run stores. Gradually women will have less or no skirts to donate to the second hand shops.

That's why I'm stocking up while I still can.

And some are still available.

Out and about I maby see one or two women a day wearing a skirt, most of the time they are paired with leggings this time of year.
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

I often wonder myself, but being in a cold climate (USDA zone 6a), I’m guessing they just find it easier to don jeans or leggings. I’ve read online that some women like winter because they can more easily justify jeans etc... and thus have less maintenance on the legs (opaque tights will serve the same purpose, but I’ve also read a lot of women hate them). Although the college students - at least on our campus - seem to be 90% pants year round. I actually LIKE that this is happening - in part because it may very well usher in the adoption of skirts by men, or at least the contrast will be much less, leading towards fashion houses selling regular streetwear intended for men.
new2skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by new2skirts »

I think it also depends on corporate environments. Women may wear skirts as part of dress code so in certain areas, you will see lots of women in skirts. In more relaxed companies, it may be more smart casual A line mini's, or mostly jeans being worn. I still see a lot of skirts in the shops, loads in thrift shops. Sadly, no men in skirts, but quite a few in kilts (always a spike between Burns Night and St Patricks, lol )
Formerly Kilty / Joe Public etc...
FranTastic444
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FranTastic444 »

I've been meaning to post this for a few weeks, but only just got round to it now. I was going to create a new thread, but seeing this post mad me think that maybe it belongs here instead (especially as the original poster, Daryl, is a Toronto resident).

In mid Jan I was working for a week in downtown Toronto. There was little in the way of snow on the ground, but it was cold (as you would expect in this region at that time of year). Once I got the underground walkways sussed, I could go from the hotel to my Clients office without once poking my nose above ground.

As I walked to and from the office I noticed that there were a few hardy souls who'd chosen to wear a skirt - invariably with boots and thick tights / stockings.

When I went out at lunchtime there was noticeably a lot more skirting (and dress) action going down. This got me wondering - do these ladies change into skirt / dress once they get to work in the same way that many people (myself included) have commute shoes that are swapped once at ones desk? The only other thing I can think of is maybe some people can drive to work, straight into a garage that links into the underground thus allowing them to dress in a way that the average Toronto public transport commuter could only dream of???
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Grok wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:58 pm
moonshadow wrote:
It begs the question though, where did these thrift shop skirts originate?
Perhaps some of the skirts had originally been ordered online?
I think some I have bought from Thrift shops were probably in someone's wardrobe for years and go back to a time when such things were more popular.
nzfreestyler wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:40 am I'm often the only skirt in some of the companies I visit - and its amazing how some companies - or perhaps staff are all opting to wear pants rather than a skirt !
Anyway - I would not mind seeing plenty more skirts and heels around the place. Its hard work being a guy - and the only person in a skirt and heels.
I too, find myself the only person in a skirt at gatherings which I find surprising, living in a warm climate. I think I mentioned elsewhere; I was at a rally in a skirt and a young woman told me later that she felt out of place wearing a skirt ........ until she saw me and felt much better.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia