Skirt Wearing by Women Increasing?

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Skirt Wearing by Women Increasing?

Post by Grok »

Kilted_John wrote: In any case, I haven't really noticed much difference over the past few years here in the Seattle area.
I basically concur. The general pattern, as has been mentioned, appears to be a peak of skirt/dress wearing during the summer, especially the hottest days of summer. As the weather morphs into autumn/turns chilly, damp and grey, few women wear skirts/dresses.

On the other hand, during the milder, dry sunny days of autumn, a few more women may wear skirts/dresses. Often with some type of obvious leggings, such as tights.

I will watch to see if there is a similar pattern next spring.
Kilted_John
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilted_John »

Grok wrote:
Kilted_John wrote: In any case, I haven't really noticed much difference over the past few years here in the Seattle area.
I basically concur. The general pattern, as has been mentioned, appears to be a peak of skirt/dress wearing during the summer, especially the hottest days of summer. As the weather morphs into autumn/turns chilly, damp and grey, few women wear skirts/dresses.

On the other hand, during the milder, dry sunny days of autumn, a few more women may wear skirts/dresses. Often with some type of obvious leggings, such as tights.

I will watch to see if there is a similar pattern next spring.
If the blob of warm water (see yesterday's post on the Cliff Mass weather blog site) off our coast remains in place, like it did during the 2013-2015 timeframe, we might see more around here than usual.
Skirted since 2/2002, kilted 8/2002-8/2011, and dressed since 9/2013...
flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/245gt-turbo
vendeebeaches

Post by vendeebeaches »

Our local Primark (UK Chain store) yesterday had the biggest range of skirts I've seen in there for along time.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

vendeebeaches wrote:Our local Primark (UK Chain store) yesterday had the biggest range of skirts I've seen in there for along time.
Are you referring to new autumn stock....TU mainly produced in Turkey is the Female fashion Line for Sainsbury Supermarket
some of the skirts are interesting...I bought a couple of pencil skirts recently....nice and tight and close fitting, below the knee in stretchy material.........Location ...Helston ...Cornwall U.K.
Kilty
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilty »

weeladdie18 wrote:
vendeebeaches wrote:Our local Primark (UK Chain store) yesterday had the biggest range of skirts I've seen in there for along time.
Are you referring to new autumn stock....TU mainly produced in Turkey is the Female fashion Line for Sainsbury Supermarket
some of the skirts are interesting...I bought a couple of pencil skirts recently....nice and tight and close fitting, below the knee in stretchy material.........Location ...Helston ...Cornwall U.K.
Midi (below the knee) is a nice fashion range for this season, teamed with snug boots and tights and a nice blouse will look great! Weather is starting to cool down, but I still see a lot in skirts. Just wear tights :wink:
vendeebeaches

Post by vendeebeaches »

weeladdie18 wrote:
Are you referring to new autumn stock
Yes it was new stock. 10-12 different lines which is a lot more than I've seen for along time.
john62
Member Extraordinaire

Post by john62 »

Today a online fashion summer catalogue was in the post, 84 pages, 6 skirts and 6 dresses!

John
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Yesterday we had very mild, Spring like weather in Seattle. (In striking contrast to the snow storms we had in February). Noticed a couple women out and about in skirts. Which is significantly more than I have seen since autumn.
hillaryskirt

Post by hillaryskirt »

I saw a young woman wearing a nice claret A line shiny/satin fabric skirt today. Nicely tailored and nice clean lines.
A man could easily pull off this look too.
But is shinier and silky fabric okay for a man's look?
Back to topic and I'm sure I'm seeing more skirted girls although leggings are still very popular. :?
"The past is never dead. It's not even past." - William Faulkner.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

I really do not have an answer to the question. I still see a lot of leggings and assortments of trousers on the fair sex.
I did see a woman today who was wearing a similar skirt to my own.
Admittedly we were both in denim but it gave me a thought for Hilaryskirt.
I don't think she was masculine or me feminine. We just coincided in our choice of style and fabric.
If a fabric/look attracts, try it, wear it and enjoy it.
hillaryskirt

Post by hillaryskirt »

STEVIE wrote:I don't think she was masculine or me feminine. We just coincided in our choice of style and fabric.
If a fabric/look attracts, try it, wear it and enjoy it.
Good point well made. Certainly I like shine. So there's my cue.
"The past is never dead. It's not even past." - William Faulkner.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

hillaryskirt wrote:I saw a young woman wearing a nice claret A line shiny/satin fabric skirt today. Nicely tailored and nice clean lines.
A man could easily pull off this look too.
But is shinier and silky fabric okay for a man's look?
Personally, I would have to say, "Yes." Note my personal penchant for satins and velvets -- both of which are superb fabrics and both of which work on men quite well.
Back to topic and I'm sure I'm seeing more skirted girls although leggings are still very popular. :?
Each and every time I see a pair of leggings on anybody my mind simply screams, "'80s fashion victim!" It's not a good look in my opinion, although that opinion holds little weight in the court of public opinion. I thought is a naff look then, and I've seen no reason to change that opinion in the intervening decades.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Each and every time I see a pair of leggings on anybody my mind simply screams, "'80s fashion victim!" It's not a good look in my opinion, although that opinion holds little weight in the court of public opinion. I thought is a naff look then, and I've seen no reason to change that opinion in the intervening decades.
In My part of U.K.....The female wearing tight black leggings with or with out a skirt or tunic , is still a popular trend....
the latest fashion out on the street is a mini skirt and thick black nylon tights......temperature now 10 to 14 c
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Summer like weather yesterday in Seattle. Noticed several women out and about in skirts/dresses. I would say that the warm weather/skirts pattern is confirmed.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

The other day I noticed a co-worker wearing a skirt. She typically wears spray ons.

My first thought was that she was responding to the summer heat with a skirt. Then I noticed that she had her hands in the pockets of her skirt. The implication being that a woman's skirt has decent pockets.

Perhaps there was a double threshold to be crossed. A skirt might become an alternative during hot weather, but must include decent pockets?