Skirt Wearing by Women Increasing?

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Skirt Wearing by Women Increasing?

Post by Daryl »

Is it just me or are women starting to return to skirts and dresses? I am noting many older women never wear skirts anymore except for special occasions, but younger women, in my very subjective view, seem to be rediscovering the freedom and pleasure of trouserlessness.

Just today the host of a local radio show I was listening to remarked on the great weather we've had all summer, saying that she hasn't worn pants at all for the last 3 months. She is in the younger demographic...30-something maybe. If it had been a call-in show I would have called to tell her I haven't worn pants at all this summer either.
Daryl...
Kilted_John
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Skirt Wearing by Women Increasing?

Post by Kilted_John »

^That might've been awkward.

In any case, I haven't really noticed much difference over the past few years here in the Seattle area.

Last time my mother wore a skirted garment publicly was in 2007. For my sister's previous marriage. Before that, 1994, when she wore a calf-length shirtdress that a friend of hers had embroidered some designs onto for a dinner party that said friend was doing. Rest of the time, she's been exclusively trousered. There was a chance that she might've worn a skirt or a dress this past summer on a roadtrip to eastern Washington, but, by the time we did it, the temperature was actually cool enough that she stayed in her uniform. My sister wore a minidress 3-4 years ago when she was dating.

-J
Skirted since 2/2002, kilted 8/2002-8/2011, and dressed since 9/2013...
flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/245gt-turbo
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Kilted_John wrote:^That might've been awkward.
Indeed. The entire meaning shifts rather profoundly depending on whether the speaking voice in male or female.
My sister wore a minidress 3-4 years ago when she was dating.
In that context, the mode of attire was being deployed for a certain and distinct reason. Absent that reason, the general mode seems to slide pretty quickly to trousers of one ilk or another, hence the relative rarity of skirts or dresses save for special occasions (e.g. parties/weddings) or certain functions (e.g. "hunting").

I was in Boston yesterday and took a walk through the North End where there are usually women in skirts/dresses in abundance -- not so last night. I'm not saying there was nary a one in sight, but far fewer than when it was warmer. 'Twas mostly jeans or leggings.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
FranTastic444
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FranTastic444 »

Skirts and dresses were few and far between on my time in Glostah this afternoon - despite the glorious weather (circa 30c). By far the most common female clothing was shorts, with short shorts being the default for the younger crowd. There were even some leggings on view - crazy given the temperature.

As I've posted elsewhere on here, my wife is now buying skirts and dresses after a hiatus of around a decade. Skirt and dress wearing in Downtown Boston Mon-Fri is higher than many other places due to shorts not being acceptable attire at many places of work (even where casual / dress-down is now the norm 5 days a week). Virtually all female tourists and locals out of work hours wear shorts, jeans or leggings.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Local lassies increased their skirt wearing activities here in S.W. Cornwall with the heat of the summer.
Now , in the cooler weather they are returning to their trousers....Short shorts were popular with the
younger generation.....Now tights are being worn under the shorts.

I went to an outdoor church service with a " Folk Band " yesterday....wore my Black ,below the knee
Pencil Skirt with two box pleats instead of a vent in the rear..... No comment.....
Nice cup of tea and a piece of cake in the old life boat house afterwards .....a delightful Sunday afternoon.

Only two or three of the lassies were wearing skirts....Interesting observation ...weeladdie
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

I have seen an increase, but I'm going to say it's the summer time heat. When it's 80 f plus. They are more common. I'm still surprised at the number of trousers and leggings in hot weather.
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

I think that a trend would have to be confirmed by more skirts during spring and autumn.
Kilty
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilty »

weeladdie18 wrote:Local lassies increased their skirt wearing activities here in S.W. Cornwall with the heat of the summer.
Now , in the cooler weather they are returning to their trousers....Short shorts were popular with the
younger generation.....Now tights are being worn under the shorts.

I went to an outdoor church service with a " Folk Band " yesterday....wore my Black ,below the knee
Pencil Skirt with two box pleats instead of a vent in the rear..... No comment.....
Nice cup of tea and a piece of cake in the old life boat house afterwards .....a delightful Sunday afternoon.

Only two or three of the lassies were wearing skirts....Interesting observation ...weeladdie
I see quite a few skirts being worn, even in autumn / winter women just add tights... it's about 50/50... many don't want to sit like a lady, have to deal with upskirting / exposure / unwanted attention... but still like skirts as an option... blame androgynous fashion for the increase of trousers and short shorts... it's cyclical fashion. Many fashion icons on TV are nearly always in skirts or dresses (like the Kardashians) and post images of such on social media.

I'd like to see a pic of your outfit that you wore to Church, weeladdie :wink:
Happy-N-Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Happy-N-Skirts »

My wife is nearly always in skirts or dresses. I think it was my appreciation of them. She looks beautiful in them, actually she is beautiful in anything (or nothing).

It is still very hot where we live and this is the best time of the year ahead until at least December.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Thank you for your comments Kilty... I do not make a good photograph my Skirt Outfit was
Black Pencil Skirt, Black Zip Cardigan ,Harris Tweed Sports Jacket and Drovers Sporran on a Leather
Waist Belt . Remarks were made on my footwear.......pink plastic crocs.....like plastic clogs
I explained that this style of foot wear was economically priced for an Old Aged Pensioner
and a pair of pink crocs are easy to find in a cupboard.

I went to the National Maritime Museum in Falmouth again today....I have a ticket which I can use for entry
any day of the year..... One of the female assistants remarked that I was wearing a different skirt today.
I explained that I was wearing one of my summer skirts as Autumn does not start until 23 September.

The wind has been strong today. ......it looks as if we in the U.K. will be getting the tale end of the
American Hurricane tomorrow.....winds possibly gusting gale force tomorrow with patches of heavy rain.
It has been blowing hard from the South today with plenty of sunshine this afternoon. ..... weeladdie
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

I have said this before and I will say it again as an ongoing obsevation....many lassies have never learnt
how to sit down when wearing a skirt....they do not smooth their skirts out over their legs .
They just plonk themselves down and sit on a bundle of creased fabric.
I do prefer a Below the Knee Hem as I can physically pull the hem over the chair and pull out the excess
fabric to maintain the smoothness of the garment......as I sit down I can push some of the excess material between my knees to maintain my modesty as I sit more comfortably for a male with my feet and my
knees apart as per the Kilt wearing Male....................weeladdie
Kilty
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilty »

weeladdie18 wrote:I have said this before and I will say it again as an ongoing obsevation....many lassies have never learnt
how to sit down when wearing a skirt....they do not smooth their skirts out over their legs .
They just plonk themselves down and sit on a bundle of creased fabric.
I do prefer a Below the Knee Hem as I can physically pull the hem over the chair and pull out the excess
fabric to maintain the smoothness of the garment......as I sit down I can push some of the excess material between my knees to maintain my modesty as I sit more comfortably for a male with my feet and my
knees apart as per the Kilt wearing Male....................weeladdie
That will have to be in a loose, flowing skirt, as pencil or straight skirts would naturally give you a smooth, straight surface. Some materials crease a lot easier, you can see it on gaberdine (I think similar to linen) type skirts, where the part of your skirt between your tummy and top of legs has a definite crease, or where the skirt has been pulled up and gathered for when nature calls :oops: I very rarely suffer from creases in straight skirts as in other types. Skater types keep their shape and have no issues with creasing due to cut and material. Kilts I expect to crease at the pleats due to how they are made :P
phathack
Member Extraordinaire

Post by phathack »

I cant remember the last time I saw a woman wearing a skit in public, all I see are pants and shorts. I was out at a local street festival and not a single woman was wearing a skit.
I think I was the only person at the event in a skirt.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Well WeeLaddie, I hope when the tale end of that American hurricane passes you by you will have lived to tell the tail !

We had it here yesterday and it killed two people, one had a tree fall on him while he was out walking, the other was an unfortunate lady whose caravan was blown 30 feet down onto a beach while she was in it. I had to divert twice going to work , having encountered fallen trees blocking my route.
We're now getting our first half-decent rain in four months. Very badly needed.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I don't know about whether more women are wearing dresses or skirts but I do know that skirt wearing among men IS increasing even if the rate is very slow. We are at the left hand end of the bell curve.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.