Skirt Wearing by Women Increasing?

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
rivegauche
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Skirt Wearing by Women Increasing?

Post by rivegauche »

I was talking to a woman friend the other day who commented on Nicola Sturgeon resigning. She observed that Nicola would probably be relieved that she did not have to wear skirts and dresses once she was out of this post. Actually she will - she will still be an MSP. IT shows how many (thankfully not all) women now regard skirts and dresses - as something to be endured.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

denimini wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 5:17 am Yes. If women stop wearing skirts, then a good variety of skirts will not be available for the men who want to wear them. If we were left with the few skirts made for men then that would be rather dismal, I think.
Barleymower wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 8:47 am The solution is simple. Women wear dresses, men wear skirts and we all wear trousers!
When I wrote the "Unconcerned" comment, I wasn't actually considering supply, my thoughts were more about fashion influences. I don't actively follow female fashion in my own choices of dresses or skirts.
However, if there was a real drop in demand from women then the retailers would potentially make a real effort to plug the gap with realistic marketing of skirts for men.
The simplest solution by far though, is to quit all the hypocrisy and pretence so that anyone can wear anything anytime!
The problem is that us humans just cannot seem to get the hang of simple anything.
Steve.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

rivegauche wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 2:25 pm IT shows how many (thankfully not all) women now regard skirts and dresses - as something to be endured.
It seems this is an observation that changes with locale. Here in Florida women wear skirts a lot. Dresses even more often. Bet it’s temperature related.
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

ScotL wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 5:08 pmIt seems this is an observation that changes with locale. Bet it’s temperature related.
Way back when I was growing up, especially in high school, when someone asked what the temperature
was, they were told to look at the girls(women) hemlines. The shorter the skirt/dress hemline, the hotter
the temperatures were. The longer the skirt/dress hemline, the cooler/colder the temperatures were.

Hot = High(short) hemlines
Cold = Low(long) hemlines.

So, I agree it's temperature related(90% of the time). ;)

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Uncle Al wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 8:33 pmSo, I agree it's temperature related(90% of the time). ;)
Except in cultures where skirts are functionally obsolete and seldom seen...
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Another THEORY

The hemline index is a theory that suggests that skirt length (hemlines) rise or fall along with stock prices. The most common version of the theory is that skirt lengths get shorter in good economic times (1920s, 1960s) and longer in bad, such as after the 1929 Wall Street Crash. However, the reverse has also been proposed with longer skirts signaling prosperity (1950s).
The theory is often incorrectly attributed to economist George Taylor in 1926.

It's fashion, if you find a truly logical way to influence it you will be the master of all you survey.
Steve.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Barleymower wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 8:47 am What a situation mankind has got itself into. I've asked my SO and she says that skirts are not comfortable, she feels exposed and doesn't like her legs.
Perhaps there are contrasting perceptions between those who like skirts and those that don't? Those who don't feel exposed, while those who do have a sense of freedom/relief from having ones legs rigidly encased in tubes?
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

STEVIE wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 3:04 pm

...The simplest solution by far though, is to quit all the hypocrisy and pretence so that anyone can wear anything anytime!
The problem is that us humans just cannot seem to get the hang of simple anything.
Steve.
Hypocrisy and contempt. I am not misogynistic I'm not a feminist. Men and women have their ways of dealing with problems and neither think it through. If they did they would see the error in their ways and change.
What I see is women kicking problems into the long grass. When it confronts them and they cant escape they crush it with an ultimatum. It leaves their foe battered and happy to have survived.
Men have been equally guilty of mistreating women in the past.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

Grok wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 10:51 pm
Barleymower wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 8:47 am What a situation mankind has got itself into. I've asked my SO and she says that skirts are not comfortable, she feels exposed and doesn't like her legs.
Perhaps there are contrasting perceptions between those who like skirts and those that don't? Those who don't feel exposed, while those who do have a sense of freedom/relief from having ones legs rigidly encased in tubes?
Apart for the comfort. I have four reasons for wearing skirts.
1. I like the fabrics, colour and style.
2. The way skirts caresses as you walk.
3. Self expression.
4. Daring and fun!
Ozdelights
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ozdelights »

ScotL wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 5:08 pm
It seems this is an observation that changes with locale. Here in Florida women wear skirts a lot. Dresses even more often. Bet it’s temperature related.
I've made the same observation here during this spring and summer in Australia. In fact this year as the weather warms I think I have seen more skirts and flowing dresses than usual.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

I'm wondering if preference isn't binary, but rather, a spectrum. Not just people who prefer skirts to pants, and people who prefer pants to skirts.

An in-between group that likes skirts with some sort of leggings.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Uncle Al wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 8:33 pm The shorter the skirt/dress hemline, the hotter
the temperatures were.
Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
I subcribe to that: The hemline goes up as the temperature goes up.
I don't know the formula but the conversion is 20C=14", 30C=13", 40C=12", 45C=11", 48C=10"
Thankfully is doesn't go much over 48C
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Barleymower wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 11:11 pm Hypocrisy and contempt.
Not you BM, Society!
There is no doubt that women were mistreated in the past, men too.
It still occurs, of that there is no doubt and injustice is happening at many levels yet many still declare how fair and equal life is today.
Awareness has altered very dramatically but experience, that is a different matter entirely.
Steve.
rivegauche
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rivegauche »

ScotL wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 5:08 pm
rivegauche wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 2:25 pm IT shows how many (thankfully not all) women now regard skirts and dresses - as something to be endured.
I wasn't suggesting that this was a general opinion. In fact this observation was made by a Scottish woman, and there are still lots of Scottish women in skirts and dresses and I am pleased to report that shops are still full of dresses, though I see fewer skirts on sale.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

rivegauche wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:10 am
I wasn't suggesting that this was a general opinion. In fact this observation was made by a Scottish woman, and there are still lots of Scottish women in skirts and dresses and I am pleased to report that shops are still full of dresses, though I see fewer skirts on sale.
No worries, I was just adding my two cents. I used to live in a rainy overcast place and skirts were rare.