Skirt Wearing by Women Increasing?

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Skirt Wearing by Women Increasing?

Post by Faldaguy »

I wonder if proximity to 'home' is a factor? Living in a popular tourist zone as I do, I think I see more skirts on tourists than locals -- I've not done any counts, but that is my subjective sense. Often the outfits are briefer, lighter weight, 'sexier' than typical streetwear, which often seems to signal "tourist" or "youth" as well. For them, being in Costa Rica is it often warmer than where they came from even though we locals are feeling the chill when it is 20-25 (68-77F), for our guests it is toasty enough to be in a lightweight mini and halter top. There is of course the "freedom" that may come from being away from home -- freedom to express oneself or 'act out' a bit for fun.

This is purely subjective, but I wonder if it tallies with what others have observed: Do the skirts come out more "away" from home base? And if so, why?
Ozdelights
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ozdelights »

Faldaguy wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 12:59 am I wonder if proximity to 'home' is a factor? Living in a popular tourist zone as I do, I think I see more skirts on tourists than locals -- I've not done any counts, but that is my subjective sense. Often the outfits are briefer, lighter weight, 'sexier' than typical streetwear, which often seems to signal "tourist" or "youth" as well. For them, being in Costa Rica is it often warmer than where they came from even though we locals are feeling the chill when it is 20-25 (68-77F), for our guests it is toasty enough to be in a lightweight mini and halter top. There is of course the "freedom" that may come from being away from home -- freedom to express oneself or 'act out' a bit for fun.

This is purely subjective, but I wonder if it tallies with what others have observed: Do the skirts come out more "away" from home base? And if so, why?
I agree with the assertion of an increase in tourist/holiday/relaxed mode, but I have noticed for casual wear the typical 3/4 length pants have gone and been replaced by skirts or dresses rather than jeans or pants in warm weather. My perspective from both outback and coastal Australia.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Ozdelights wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 2:39 am I have noticed a lot of women in skirts and dresses. Actually I think dresses are more prevalent (fashionable) than in recent year
Most definitely more dresses around than in the recent past, that's a fashion I have made the most of myself.
As for the "being away" driving the skirt or dress wearing, I don't see any reason for women.
It could be different for a guy though.
Reticent or unsure about presenting in public where friends, family or colleagues may recoil in horror, then try doing it at the other side of the world.
Just be sure to vet the holiday snaps before the maiden aunt who has promised to leave you a fortune in her will sees them.
Seriously, many guys, I have done it myself in the past, go to the next town or city to avoid being "outed". Soon discover it is pointless.
I will leave this with one last thought, should men in skirts actually be bothered by what women wear in the first place?
Steve.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

STEVIE wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:21 pm
Ozdelights wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 2:39 am I have noticed a lot of women in skirts and dresses. Actually I think dresses are more prevalent (fashionable) than in recent year
Most definitely more dresses around than in the recent past, that's a fashion I have made the most of myself.
As for the "being away" driving the skirt or dress wearing, I don't see any reason for women.
It could be different for a guy though.
Reticent or unsure about presenting in public where friends, family or colleagues may recoil in horror, then try doing it at the other side of the world.
Just be sure to vet the holiday snaps before the maiden aunt who has promised to leave you a fortune in her will sees them.
Seriously, many guys, I have done it myself in the past, go to the next town or city to avoid being "outed". Soon discover it is pointless.
I will leave this with one last thought, should men in skirts actually be bothered by what women wear in the first place?
Steve.
One more for sure around here!
My wife always wore trousers until I started wearing skirts. She said "if you can do it, I can do it". She now wears skirts and dresses about 3x a week.
It's an unexpected bonus that women who lack confidence can build confidence on what we are doing.
Skirts for everyone!
As for trips to other towns.. I went Basingstoke and wow looks and head shakes. It was unpleasant.
Better of here or London, London is especially good for your skirt wearing man.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

STEVIE wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:21 pm I will leave this with one last thought, should men in skirts actually be bothered by what women wear in the first place?
We shouldn't. That doesn't mean I'm not curious. For me it's the novelty factor + justification.

For me it goes something like this: the less skirts women wear, the less they are signifiers of womanhood, and the greater the chance people will not care that I'm wearing a skirt. Additionally, if women continually choose pants over skirts, they have lost their right to condemn me from wearing a skirt.

Neither are very profound, and forget logic.

As for daily life - I don't care. I find it novel when I see a skirt worn because they are somewhat rare nowadays, but there's nothing inside of me that wants to encourage women to wear skirts more or less - what they want to wear is their business.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Barleymower wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:51 pm
STEVIE wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:21 pm
eek.
It's an unexpected bonus that women who lack confidence can build confidence on what we are doing.
Skirts for everyone!
Such an irony-that a woman might gain the courage to wear a skirt because of the presence of a skirted man. I believe someone once posted about this, about a skirted woman feeling like the odd man out, until she saw the (skirted) member.

Concievably, a woman might learn skirtmanship from a man.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Grok wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:54 pmConcievably, a woman might learn skirtmanship from a man.
That may be closer than we think as young women abandon skirts in general for dungarees and "leggings"; some have mothers that never wore skirts, and thus cannot pass the knowledge down. This is most visible with high-school girls who are likely wearing a dress for the first time in their lives -- and my how they fight with them! It's comical and very, very sad at the same time. And it gets orders of magnitude "worse" when there's a guy around who knows how to manage a long skirt and isn't afraid to show that off by example! (BTDT)
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

I recall a post by a member...a woman commented that he displayed as much skill with skirts as any woman. Which, at this point, may be more than most women, at least compared to younger women.

The youngest women-as a group-with full skills may be aging Baby Boomers. I recall transition back in the '70s, when young women largely shifted over to trousers. Women born in the '80s may have skirting experience limited to formal wear, and the hottest days of summer.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Grok wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 5:33 pmI recall a post by a member...a woman commented that he displayed as much skill with skirts as any woman. Which, at this point, may be more than most women, at least compared to younger women.
It is quite possible that was my late ex- commenting. I cannot say for sure, however.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
dressedbrewer

Post by dressedbrewer »

Coder wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:15 pm
STEVIE wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:21 pm I will leave this with one last thought, should men in skirts actually be bothered by what women wear in the first place?
We shouldn't. That doesn't mean I'm not curious. For me it's the novelty factor + justification.

For me it goes something like this: the less skirts women wear, the less they are signifiers of womanhood, and the greater the chance people will not care that I'm wearing a skirt. Additionally, if women continually choose pants over skirts, they have lost their right to condemn me from wearing a skirt.

As for daily life - I don't care. I find it novel when I see a skirt worn because they are somewhat rare nowadays, but there's nothing inside of me that wants to encourage women to wear skirts more or less - what they want to wear is their business.
For me there is an opposite point of view. I don't wear in public, I don't try on clothes when I buy them in 2nd/charity stores. The less women wear skirts the less choice I will have as there will be less and less skirts to be donated and less reason to have them on the shop floor taking up space for leggings, jeans etc
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

dressedbrewer wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 8:18 am
Coder wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:15 pm

For me there is an opposite point of view. I don't wear in public, I don't try on clothes when I buy them in 2nd/charity stores. The less women wear skirts the less choice I will have as there will be less and less skirts to be donated and less reason to have them on the shop floor taking up space for leggings, jeans etc
Yesterday I wore my blue multicolour skirt because I love it. There was so much whispering in the macdonalds pit stop on my way to my dad's house.
Today I'm playing safe and wearing my tarten wrap. This time to much approval and smiles and one man stopped me to ask which clan ?
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Barleymower wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:32 am This time to much approval and smiles and one man stopped me to ask which clan ?
You could have said MacFeegle of Ballamory, unless it really is a crap clan tartan.
Steve.
PS you could choose just about any name and find an affiliate or sept tartan too, Scots don't miss a trick in money matters.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

Ha! Actually I said you will have to ask my nan she was Scottish. It was all I could come up with a short notice.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Steve.
Yes. If women stop wearing skirts, then a good variety of skirts will not be available for the men who want to wear them. If we were left with the few skirts made for men then that would be rather dismal, I think.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

What a situation mankind has got itself into. I've asked my SO and she says that skirts are not comfortable, she feels exposed and doesn't like her legs.
The solution is simple. Women wear dresses, men wear skirts and we all wear trousers!