Skirt Wearing by Women Increasing?

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Skirt Wearing by Women Increasing?

Post by mishawakaskirt »

Kirbstone wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 12:46 am Rough guesstimate: The vast majority of the under fifties women now wear thick leggings/tights as standard Winter wear below the waist and have discarded skirts en masse. Showing their contours down there has become acceptable nowadays, which in my humble opinion is a great shame.

Tom

Totally agree with that Tom.

5 14 2022

Me and the wife were at a local college graduation today.

I can attest women do actually own and wear skirts and dresses.

I'm guestimating that 80 percent of the women I saw today were in some form of skirt or dress. The remaining 20 percent were in trousers.

And you guessed it 100 percent of men were in trousers or shorts.
I was hoping to spot perhaps one man in a kilt. But nay not a one.

It was so nice to see skirts and dresses on the ladies.

They do exist, just elusive like big foot and the loch Ness monster.
I miss the skirts as daily wear days.

It's ashame that skirts and dresses are only worn for what Is considered a formal event.

I guess when you go to a graduation where the graduating student has roughly 240 thousand dollars in student loans, you want to dress your best.
The rental for the gown and cap was 250 dollars
If you wanted to purchase it, I was told that they were roughly 1000 dollars to buy.
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

My word, MS, You've reeled off a lot of astronomical figures associated with graduating in the US of A. It's no wonder new Professionals have to work their socks off to get even with such a level of debt.

For my sins the rented cap & gown for my initial graduation in the 60's was no big expense and my Dad, himself a Medic paid my undergraduate fees & accommodation, so I had no student loan or debt on graduation. Subsequent postgrad graduations I didn't bother to attend. The relevant bits of paper/vellum came in the post.

Not long ago we visited Edinburgh on what happened to be a Graduation Day and the number of fabulously expensive kilt outfits on display on practically all the young male graduates was a sight for sore eyes. While minding our two little dogs outside St Giles' Cathedral as MOH did her tour within, a young lad in all the regalia set up on a street corner outside and began to fill the area with truly exquisite fine Piobracht pipe music. The guy had it in Spades! He lasted perhaps ten minutes before two coppers (one of them a trousered female) came on the scene and moved him on. A right shame!

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

While I was an undergraduate there were no fees and, being married, a mortgage and 4 young children I actually had a local authority grant. So I didn't suffer too much financially in that period. I have thought about doing another, more vocational, degree such as archaeology in my retirement but the costs just don't add up in its value to me. A pity.

My wife had to make a visit to the surgery the other day and wore an ankle length skirt. She looked really good and I was almost gushing in my praise. It hasn't made any difference in her daily wear unfortunately.

As for more dress/skirt wearing, I haven't noticed any uptick.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Offkilter69
Distinguished Member

Post by Offkilter69 »

Fortunately for me, my Lady is often clad in skirts and dresses from late Spring to the end of Fall. Fortunately she and I have similar style likes, so it makes it easy buying her skirts, which look fantastic on her curves. My two teenage daughters? They wouldn’t be caught dead in skirted attire outside of school dances. My youngest even complained about having to wear a “kilt” as part of her lacrosse uniform. I don’t get it.

Overall, I agree with the opinion that for most women, skirts and dresses are only dressy attire, not everyday wear.
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

I hope that for me the whole desire to wear a skirt is not just a case of I want to do something I have been told not to. The whole rebellious teen or nonconformity type.
I mean I don't feel think that it is.
I've pondered time and time again if society was reversed (men wore the skirts) or skirts were viewed completely unisex. Would I still love wearing skirts. Or would I treat them with the same contempt that women seem to treat skirts with.? As some form of inferior garment that is almost loathed. Some skirt designs are very impractical ( I don't know why any woman would want to wear some of them)
I guess that's where fashion separates from comfort.
I have to wear (what ever) because (whomever) has, wears that.
I'm so glad the lady Gaga meat dress didn't catch on.
I'm sure there were a few people in this world that that was the coolest thing since sliced bread. Hmmm bread dress? Now maybe that has some possibility??? I'm waiting for the plastic trash bag dress.

Not that skirts are perfect, trousers do have a time and place.

I see myself wearing skirts probably 80 percent of the time in spring summer fall, less in winter obviously.

I only hope that those numbers are true if I actually had free access to wearing skirts and not turn out taking them for granted.
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.
Pleats

Post by Pleats »

I don't think skirts have have increased. Walking through stores all I see are pants/shorts/leggings. Not a skirt/dress on the rack.

Here in southern Ohio women teen through their 20's the preferred apparel appears to be long jeans ripped to shreds. They pay money for that? Good grief. I was in a restaurant I frequent and know the servers. The one lady had jeans so ripped up I said she needed to cut them off and make shorts out of them. There was not much left to them at that point.

When I was a kid, pre-teen, I had to go downtown with my aunt. I had on jeans with a hole in the knee. Being a kid I crawled around on the ground a lot wearing out the knees. I was so embarrassed that I had a hole in my jeans. Now it is a fashion trend.

You can buy these for $48.75 US dollars
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Oh Pleats you have just gone and upset some of our elder statesman with that picture. They don't approve of the ripped look at all you know.
However, just to give them something fresh to chew and fume over, we have this demure offering from Gautier. It originally appeared in the Sunday Times so don't shoot the messenger.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

At least the image from The Times depicts a dress, so that's orders of magnitude better than shredded denim or leggings. Also, it's a graphic, and not reality.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rode_kater »

Oh dear, that's almost as bad as the "hairy chest one piece swimsuit".
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

If women now look upon skirts/dresses as formal wear only, that would explain a lot.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

crfriend wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 7:23 pm At least the image from The Times depicts a dress, so that's orders of magnitude better than shredded denim or leggings. Also, it's a graphic, and not reality.
The way I saw it is that they are both just "fashions" and not worth getting upset over.
However, at £500+ for the dress, not a big demand potential methinks.
"Reality", was two girls I saw in town on Saturday. The fabric of their dresses was sheer enough to place their underwear in the public domain.
Nope, I was not tempted to take photos, just something else to not be bothered about.
Whoops, Carl, "graphics", I really cannot go by images alone at the moment and confess to not reading the article.
At the risk of being spexist, just address me as "Magoo".
Steve.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

Pleats wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 2:29 pm I don't think skirts have have increased. Walking through stores all I see are pants/shorts/leggings. Not a skirt/dress on the rack.
With the warmer weather the car boot sales have begun again and, whilst there are still a reasonable number of dresses this year, there are almost no skirts at all.  There are a few in charity shops, but not as many as there were a couple of years ago.

The number of women wearing skirts seems to fluctuate: sometimes there are none to be seen but, whenever there is a major change in the weather, skirts and dresses suddenly appear for a few days.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
SkirtsDad
Member Extraordinaire

Post by SkirtsDad »

When this thread started a few years back, there had certainly not been any increase in skirt wearing in my neck of the woods, however, for at least the last six months we have sold far more skirts in the charity shop than at any time in and of the 10 years or so since I have been volunteering. Having two universities close by means that for most of the year the area is saturated by "young" people. I would say from seeing them in the shops that it is predominantly these students that are buying them. And, yes, they do wear them on the street too. This is noticeably different to previous years when the only time you would be likely to see any number of skirts at one time would have been RAG week, and then it was often the men wearing them, if they weren't wearing dresses, that is.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

I couldn't find the thread with the opposite observation, so posting here :P

I was at a massively large Christmas store today - Bronners - in jeans because I was with family, and frankly, not sure I'd be comfortable going to that store in a skirt, least not yet. There had to be at least 500 people in the store - if not more. It was around 50F, so not too cold out either. I observed two women wearing skirts the entire time I was there. Granted, was only there an hour, but the majority were wearing skinny jeans or leggings. I didn't get a chance to go downtown, but my guess is the folks were similarly attired.

I saw a student wearing a skirt last week on campus, which surprised me as it was 35ish out (blue skirt, white docs, bare legs). That was pretty much the only skirted outfit I saw for the time I was on campus.
Ozdelights
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ozdelights »

We are heading into summer here with days up to mid 30Cs (around mid 90Fs) and I have noticed a lot of women in skirts and dresses. Actually I think dresses are more prevalent (fashionable) than in recent years.