Skirt Wearing by Women Increasing?

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Skirt Wearing by Women Increasing?

Post by denimini »

I did a quick look on ebay and the category of skirts had about half a million entries and dresses had just under 2 million. Surprisingly pants had a similar number of entries to skirts. I wonder if the listings represent what women are not wearing more than what they are???
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Thick tights, thicker tights and skinny pull-on leggings have become standard wear for girls/young women here of late. This is reflected in the rag shops, where one has to search the whole place or a few skirts tucked away in some corner.

Come the warmer weather and a rash of cheap A-line miniskirts will come on display, standard length about 17 inches, so the young things will either wear these or 'distressed' jeans with holes in them, occasionally both !

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

About a week ago I noticed a woman wearing an ankle length skirt in a bank. Yesterday, in a grocery store, I noticed another woman wearing an ankle length skirt.
Chirp
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Chirp »

In my area u you will see alot of girls wearing black tights or leggings with colored skirt,
Few years back trend was tights and shorts and still see girls doing that but even on coldest day.
U can spot one brave sole sporting a short skirt,
No one mess's with a big guy in kilt
skirted84
Distinguished Member

Post by skirted84 »

Can't say I've noticed here although it is winter. Skirts or dresses are only really seen as formal or business attire eg. work/clubbing/dating and even there its less common than say 10/15 years ago. Last summer when it reached record highs there were many more trouserless garments, throwing off inseams makes so much sense round sweaty legs.
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

WAS it a skirt? Today we went to look at a property; the female agent met us in an eye-poppingly short skirt; legs fully encased in black tights but that did not diminish notice to the hemline. This may not be evidence of women wearing more skirts, but less of them -- and in that regard I've no complaints! However, in keeping with the intent of the thread, I'd say I think so -- but perhaps only because I notice them even more since I started wearing them full time. I also find it interesting that compliments seem to come more from women in skirts, than those in pants -- fathom that one?

MOH distinctly increased her skirt wearing days in public when I was clad in a skirt, and these days I rarely see her in pants even if we are just hanging out at home.
Spirou003
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Spirou003 »

I also find it interesting that compliments seem to come more from women in skirts, than those in pants -- fathom that one?
Skirt's complicity?
FLbreezy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FLbreezy »

Faldaguy wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:41 am Today we went to look at a property; the female agent met us in an eye-poppingly short skirt; legs fully encased in black tights but that did not diminish notice to the hemline.
I see this a lot in the cooler weather: the skirt serves to dress up a pair of leggings and add a bit of modesty/warmth but is quite short.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

I figure that if we should see more skirt wearing during autumn and spring, it will be a skirt worn with some sort of leggings. For warmth.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Last week I noticed a woman wearing a skirt with what appeared to be black tights?/pantyhose?

I had been thinking that nowadays women will generally wear skirts for:

1. The hottest days of summer.

2. Formal wear. For business/office, however, women may have the option of pants suits.

Maybe the skirts/leggings combination will save skirts from extinction?
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Please disregard my last post. I have never understood womens' fashion, so I am giving up on the topic.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Grok, join the club. Whilst a lot of what women wear is sane and attractive, they do go rather, well, ridiculous sometimes.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Rough guesstimate: The vast majority of the under fifties women now wear thick leggings/tights as standard Winter wear below the waist and have discarded skirts en masse. Showing their contours down there has become acceptable nowadays, which in my humble opinion is a great shame.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Kirbstone wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 12:46 am Rough guesstimate: The vast majority of the under fifties women now wear thick leggings/tights as standard Winter wear below the waist and have discarded skirts en masse. Showing their contours down there has become acceptable nowadays, which in my humble opinion is a great shame.

Tom
A lot around here wear a miniskirt of some sort - or really long sweaters. During the summer, tunic-length shirts.
greenboots
Member Extraordinaire

Post by greenboots »

This past week we spent three days at a retreat with around 40 fellow ministers, approximately equal numbers male and female. On the middle day, several of the women (ranging in age between 30ish and late fifties) wore skirts or dresses of various kinds with opaque tights. Among the other guests at breakfast in the hotel, I noticed several tunic and legging combinations.

Also in Princes Street, in the centre of Edinburgh, there is always a significant proportion of skirts/tunics/dresses (almost exclusively on women). So skirts are not completely dead here in Scotland.